Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evil 201 Error

Default Evil 201 Error

My ability to connect to DDO has been prevented by the sinister 201 error. My problems actually began a few days ago. As soon as I got connected my computer would completely shut down. I have had this issue in the past but only as an overheating issue that took long hours of game play with poor ventilation to occur. I tried cleaning my computer and running a systems full virus scan which produced and helped nothing. Eventually, I removed DDO and all of its left over bits from my computer and then tried to reinstall it. I found after probably 10 attempts over the couse of 2 days I could not even begin to reinstall. I timed out every time. I then found a good system restore point and took it. I can go anywhere on the web as usual, play movies, games, and contribute to forums with no resistance. I can attempt to log on to the server Orien by entering my password which is accepted. Just as my screen is about to switch into game mode I get two 201 errors back to back. I have checked turbine support and followed it to the letter but I still can not connect. Any advice?
    “It's a game, don't forget to have fun!"--Warspell

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

start with listing your OS, how you launch the game, and what permissions profile you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by Warspell View Post
    My problems actually began a few days ago.
    First thing I would do, is check all system logs for 'what changed' on the system when the problems began using event viewer or similar utility. Often, the system will tell you if there was some related error that occured, or if a setting was changed somewhere.

Did you change anything (most likely hardware) to resolve the overheating issue?
    D.W.A.T: (Now with Non-Dwarf support)
    Founder of the (D.W.A.T) Elf Rebellion and Supporter of the H (alfling). I(ntel). T(eam).

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    start with listing your OS, how you launch the game, and what permissions profile you are using.
    Hi Missing, I am using an HP HDX16 Notebook with core 2 both running at 2.26GHz with 4 GB of memory on a 64 bit OS. Currently, I am running Vista Home Premium. I launch the game from a shortcut on my desktop set to normal compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget2775 View Post
    Did you change anything (most likely hardware) to resolve the overheating issue?
    No, through research I have learned that my particular processor is well known for overheating. I had to get one of the best cooling mats on the planet, make sure I have plenty of space between a table and computer, and then constructed an additional fan system that blows processor heat out of the side of the cooling mat. With all of this my computer actually stays a bit chilled and functions well.

Have you ran scandisk to let the OS check for screwed up file tables?
    Also you may want to run a registry scan program like ****_cleaner and let it get fixed. I have delt very little with Vista (and never a 64 bit version of vista)

Community Member

computer completely shutting down indicates a heat issue, a power supply issue during heavy gpu draw, or a gpu issue. Since you have had issue with heat previously, I suspect all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by mystafyi View Post
    computer completely shutting down indicates a heat issue, a power supply issue during heavy gpu draw, or a gpu issue. Since you have had issue with heat previously, I suspect all 3.
    I won't say heat (normally a symptom) but deff hardware. PSU may not be able to putput enough power any more.

Heck, the GPU could be fried to the point the 3d is toast but 2d (most web stuff) works fine. I've had that happen before.
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 02-02-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Community Member

I won't say heat (normally a symptom) but deff hardware. GPU may not be able to putput enough power any more.

Heck, the GPU could be fried to the point the 3d is toast but 2d (most web stuff) works fine. I've had that happen before.
    indeed. I have had a power supply that would operate fine until I applied a heavy draw via GPU. Then it would shut down system.

I won't say heat (normally a symptom) but deff hardware. GPU may not be able to putput enough power any more.

GPU, interesting. Is there a way to test it to discover if that is the problem? This still does not explain why I cannot access DDO.com to attempt to reinstall the game. It just times out every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Warspell View Post
    GPU, interesting. Is there a way to test it to discover if that is the problem? This still does not explain why I cannot access DDO.com to attempt to reinstall the game. It just times out every time.
    Honestly.... with everything you described, i'd be doing a re install of windows first. Something got hosed if you had to do a roll back.

My initial reaction is that your equipment is older and possibly begining to fail. (Not that this is a definit at this point in time). The previous issues you mentioned with regards to overheating tend to point that way. Excessive heat tends to cause electronics componenets to wear out faster than they should, and it's very possible the previous issues with overheating did exactly that.

Before jumping directly to that thought, I'd try unistalling the graphics drivers (do a complete unistal) and hit up NVIDIAS web site to pull their most recent version of the drivers. Then run a stress test. You should be able to do a Internet search for a program. They might even have one avaliable at the NVIDIA website. I suspect running it will crash your system).

Side note: You're running Vista, and that may actually prevent you from updating to the correct drivers. I had that issue with my laptop...The latest greatest drivers were for Win7 only. If I'm remembering correctly some of my games were also causing the system to crash as a result of out of date drivers and Vista peculiarities.

If you can't get the latest drivers because of Vista I'd recommend upgrading to Win7. It's a much more stable and streamline version of Vista and should help reduce heating issue while addressing the drivers as well.

If you decide to go that route please do yourself a favor and set up a clean install. Don't simply upgrade. That means taking the time to backup files to an external drive first. (Although with the newer version I think they save all of your old files in a "Win Old" file of some sort.
    D.W.A.T: (Now with Non-Dwarf support)
    Founder of the (D.W.A.T) Elf Rebellion and Supporter of the H (alfling). I(ntel). T(eam).

I won't say heat (normally a symptom) but deff hardware. PSU may not be able to putput enough power any more.

Originally I posted that the GPU may not be able to output enough power. While I intended to say PSU, the GPU could have similar issues depending on how well thermally cooled the voltage regulators of the GPU are. Many a "dead" card became fried (back in the.. 7000-8000 series nVidia time frame) because the regulators got to hot and let too much current through. Manufacturers never tested their designs and cooled properly. (mfi)

Originally I posted that the GPU may not be able to output enough power. While I intended to say PSU, the GPU could have similar issues depending on how well thermally cooled the voltage regulators of the GPU are. Many a "dead" card became fried (back in the.. 7000-8000 series nVidia time frame) because the regulators got to hot and let too much current through. Manufacturers never tested their designs and cooled properly. (mfi)

Thanks for all your help guys. I wish I could say I handled this gracefully by tracking down the exact problem and fixing it but the truth is I ended up completely reinstalling Vista then upgraded to 7. I also discovered that my cooling mat which everyone was raving about online is already breaking down after 8 months. One fan has stopped completely, another is only receiving 1/4 power and the third is still going strong so I have had to take measures to rethink my cooling system. My processor has always needed lots of attention. Its nice to be back!

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

I am going to make a topic on it, but Meowin posted a link in this thread: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...ight=error+201 that has a lot of info about it. However, that didn't work for my kid. What I did was this:
    Went to the games folder.
    Looked for the dndclient.log file and opened it.
    At the bottom was a section saying which file it could not load.
    From the game directory, I moved, not copied, moved the file to the desktop along with patchcache.bin and relaunched the game.

The patcher redownloaded the missing files and we got into the game; no more 201.

However, I am sure that some of the dat files that may be bad/corrupt may prevent updating. So this is just what worked for us.

Community Member

Have you ran scandisk to let the OS check for screwed up file tables?
    Also you may want to run a registry scan program like ****_cleaner and let it get fixed. I have delt very little with Vista (and never a 64 bit version of vista)
    had to reply to this one first as scandisk no longer exists and hasn't since ME its a command now in the command shell in windows xp and up and the command is chkdsk with corresponding parameter commands

and i also to suggest to OP if you have had hardware issues before to google and download OCCT and stress test your whole system
    Last edited by mdgiest2314; 02-22-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by mdgiest2314 View Post
    had to reply to this one first as scandisk no longer exists and hasn't since ME its a command now in the command shell in windows xp and up and the command is chkdsk with corresponding parameter commands
    chkdsk is what the old windows NT used.

if you ran the program 'scandisk' it used to pull up the chkdsk gui in XP. Vista, I don't know.
    But in Win7 it pulls up the defragger. The defragger checks things first before defragging even if it won't fix them.

Community Member

chkdsk is what the old windows NT used.

if you ran the program 'scandisk' it used to pull up the chkdsk gui in XP. Vista, I don't know.
    But in Win7 it pulls up the defragger. The defragger checks things first before defragging even if it won't fix them.
    there is no scan disk GUI or command in xp vista or 7 as it is refered to error checking or program which runs command chkdsk ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265) chkdsk command is easier to use IMO( and you can specify more options which make it better IMO than using the simple 2 option GUI )..... and with the as stated running of chkdsk with right command parameters such as "chkdsk C: /f /r"
    telling it to check for errors fix errors and recover data in bad sectors
    just fyi check your facts before discrediting accurate information first the actual scandisk command or a GUI interface linking to a command or running anything of the like name or labled as "scandisk" went bye bye after 9x series because scan disk cant check NTFS filesystems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Scandisk

Quote Originally Posted by mdgiest2314 View Post
    just fyi check your facts
    FYI, learn to READ what people post. I am quite correct in what I last posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast