Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ranger or rogue

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    (and how did that ship get to Eberron?
    A wizard did it
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    A wizard did it
    *uncontrollable laughter* I do not care who you are, this is funny.

Community Member

It seems most people are saying rogue, but then again that would be common due to the trap stopping power they have.

Rogue mechanic... You get DPS, you get survivability, you get trapping, with the right gear/feats you can even UMD a whole lot of ****...

...and it goes really well with halfling.

You (usually) won't 1-hit things like an assassin, but you can one or two burst most trash early and do a lot of damage later.

However, you will always be fighting for and fighting gear.

Bards can do the same (or better) with UMD, can also do a bit of damage as well, but not DPS-heavy for the most part. And they do okay as halflings too...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Todkaninchen View Post
    Rogue mechanic... You get DPS, you get survivability, you get trapping, with the right gear/feats you can even UMD a whole lot of ****...

...and it goes really well with halfling.

You (usually) won't 1-hit things like an assassin, but you can one or two burst most trash early and do a lot of damage later.

However, you will always be fighting for and fighting gear.

Bards can do the same (or better) with UMD, can also do a bit of damage as well, but not DPS-heavy for the most part. And they do okay as halflings too...
    well, this is for a human so...

I like rangers and especially AA rangers, but I am not sure I would go human. So, I guess rogue. If you go assassin, be prepared for chasing everything around in sneak mode only to have it move from someone damaging the mob or the mob just deciding to move the instand you click assassinate and thus foiling your attempt.
    Sarlona Server Mythical:
    Kluege Fixer- Baddabing - Majuscule Kluege - Klueje - Klooj Maker - Dundar Kluege - Superkluege

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by barecm View Post
    I like rangers and especially AA rangers, but I am not sure I would go human. So, I guess rogue. If you go assassin, be prepared for chasing everything around in sneak mode only to have it move from someone damaging the mob or the mob just deciding to move the instand you click assassinate and thus foiling your attempt.
    guess I could switch the human and Drow Elf around.]

If I switch the Drow and the Human around, should I go with the original plan or add artificer to the mix?
    Last edited by firelord1230; 02-12-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Community Member

Default Ranger or Rogue...OR ARTIFICER drow

I am now thinking of one of these three for a new drow character.

still the same Idea with the human, only he is going to be either paladin or fighter.

Community Member

I have decided on a human greatsword paladin. Now need to decide on a drow Ranger, Rogue, Bard or Artificer.
    Last edited by firelord1230; 03-16-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Community Member

would a human Melee Ranger work as a replacement for the paladin?

Community Member

Either the ranger or the paladin can work...and if you are of the same purist mindset you were at the start of this thread, your enjoyment may depend on the prestige class you choose. If you go melee ranger, then you are probably talking Tempest with two weapon fighting (TWF). Several years ago, the Ranger Tempest was "the way to go" for melee DPS. This has changed.

If you go Paladin, then I suggest you go either sword-and-board or two-handed fighting (THF). TWF for a paladin requires a high dexterity score on a class which is already stretched pretty thin with ability points. I'm currently playing a Paladin who switches between S&B and THF depending on the situation.

So, if you want to swing with two weapons, I suggest Ranger. Otherwise, my vote would be Paladin. Most important...have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by squishwizzy View Post

Rogue[...]They tend to be on the gimpy side though.
    I want you to go dig a pit. Then lie down in it. Then realize how wrong you are.

Then you may post again.
    Ckarlock Alarm (PDK bard 7 fighter 6 rogue 2) life 17
    Dragonbloodz Power (Drow sorc 20/epic 8) life 6
    Sorinsal (Drow rogue 20/epic 5) life 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    What I think is OP is anyone who uses implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill to be more effective in quests then I am - so I then find the time to post complaints about their use of implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill thus making me OP on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    Here's a new flash for the people who have not evolved and still play sponge toons: you serve no purpose. it's rude, but it's the truth. Divines are powerful, have been for a long time. They don't need you. If you need them you add no value to the group.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by firelord1230 View Post
    He grew up among the Purple dragon knights, but never felt at home among them. His mother was a captain among them and his father a merchant. He decided to travel and ended up on a ship that was attacked by a dragon near Korthos Island.
    I think that the real story here is not the Human Sailor, but the ship that sails between different realities!

Make it a paladin.

After being sent to another plane you realised the imprtance of having family close. Your only purpose is finding a way back home. After learning the truth you take upon you the task of bringing Lolth to her knees for the suffering she put you through.

You might also consider multiclassing. Like ranger or rogue and later paladin (when he realised Lolth was behind this).

Guardian
    Hero

Quote Originally Posted by firelord1230 View Post
    Anyone else Think I should go bard instead?

I am asking about Bard now because the fey dream thing sounds like something that a Bard would get.
    if you go with the FEY, ranger for sure, it ties in well with the eventual epic destiny Shiradi Champion, it'S all about the feys, even if you don't have the ED, go look it up on the DDO wiki, and shiradi are the natural extension of the ranger ED wise

also a tempest build could be a reminder of his purple Knight training
    I come from the west. Through countries, peoples, and cities - to this place: STORMREACH.
    My duty: Guardian. To mend and defend. To defend my newfound friends, their hopes, and dreams. To defend them from their enemies.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrael View Post
    if you go with the FEY, ranger for sure, it ties in well with the eventual epic destiny Shiradi Champion, it'S all about the feys, even if you don't have the ED, go look it up on the DDO wiki, and shiradi are the natural extension of the ranger ED wise

also a tempest build could be a reminder of his purple Knight training
    most of that destiny is ranged, and I prefer melee. Though the whole FEY thing could be metaphorical for innocence, so paladin would work well, if that is the idea behind it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12