Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Ranger or rogue

  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default Ranger or rogue

    I tend to be a purist in these kinds of Games (D&D with Multi-classing) and am currently looking to make a human.

    I have a Drow monk, Dwarf Favored soul (Ironic) and a halfling sorcerer. I cannot decide between a rogue or a ranger.

    Here is a bit of a bio for my human to help with any decision: He grew up among the Purple dragon knights, but never felt at home among them. His mother was a captain among them and his father a merchant. He decided to travel and ended up on a ship that was attacked by a dragon near Korthos Island.

    So which one, Rogue or Ranger?

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    From a min/max perspective, rogue would be the best going pure.

    From a lore perspective, Rogue makes more sense on the merchant-mother* side and PDK doesn't scream Ranger to me.

    BTW, transfer your halfling sorc over to khyber. I want to see the hilariousness in action.


    EDIT:
    *father
    ME BARB, ME SMA-ok I stand here with pretty blue lines around me. ok I take damage. ok bye.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HalfORCastrator View Post
    From a min/max perspective, rogue would be the best going pure.

    From a lore perspective, Rogue makes more sense on the merchant-mother side and PDK doesn't scream Ranger to me.

    BTW, transfer your halfling sorc over to khyber. I want to see the hilariousness in action.

    Father was a merchant, and my characters are all on Khyber anyways. I haven't played much but I wanted to have all my characters created before I played any of them.

  4. #4
    Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    Posts
    10,638

    Default

    Yes!











    (and how did that ship get to Eberron? )
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    Yes!











    (and how did that ship get to Eberron? )
    as for how: Unknown, could have been a mystical portal, divine call or just plain weird dream.

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    164

    Default

    both? I could see troublemaker (rogue) turning more responsible person on his travels ending up learning ways of forest.

    but if you want pure then rogue acrobat might be fitting for someone who had busy parents and wanted do his best to get attention.


    For the ship, it had very very bad navigator.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Nismu- View Post
    both? I could see troublemaker (rogue) turning more responsible person on his travels ending up learning ways of forest.

    but if you want pure then rogue acrobat might be fitting for someone who had busy parents and wanted do his best to get attention.


    For the ship, it had very very bad navigator.
    It's not really that he had parents who had little time for him. It is more like he trained a little bit with the Purple dragon knights, but decided it wasn't for him and chose to leave to find his place in life.

    I figured Ranger at first because it makes sense to have him trained as a PDK but seeing himself as more of a wandering hero than a knight.
    Last edited by firelord1230; 02-01-2013 at 01:09 AM.

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default

    I have decided to flesh out the Bio a bit for better clarity:

    Janvar Corrick was born to a Purple Dragon Knight mother and a merchant father. He trained with his mother, as he felt like the merchant's life was not for him. He tried to become a PDK, but began to realize that he was meant for things other than a life in the military. Following a strange dream from a woman he believed was a fey creature, he left to find those that needed his help. He boarded a ship that was sailing somewhere. The ship found it's way via a mystical portal to Eberron, when it was attacked and destroyed by a dragon, near Korthos Island.

    Hope this helps explain what I want for the Character, and give you a better clue of what would fit.

  9. #9
    Community Member squishwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Rogue for the story line.

    As for your preference, what do you like to run? You like doing DPS, or want to try something new?

    Rogue is the most versitile - you can trapsmith, go assassin for the instakill, decent UMD so you can augment with scrolls. They tend to be on the gimpy side though.

    Ranger tends to be a little less versitile. You go Arcane Archer you pretty much limit yourself to bows and standing in the back. You've got decent self-healing and a fairly eclectic (but helpful) array of spells. Pure DPS tends to be a bit of a problem. They are more utility players.

    I've got an AA and a rogue. Both can be very stealthy. I like running the rogue better.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

  10. #10
    Community Member Fedora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    587

    Default

    I get bored with pure rogues, and pure rangers seem to be good at a lot and great at nothing. If your mind is set on playing a pure class then I don't have any suggestions. As far as your bio you could do either a rogue or ranger with1 or 2 levels of fighter splashed (but don't take fighter first, take the rogue or ranger for the skill points).

    Take rogue or ranger (to suggest he wasn't a raw recruit when he joined the PDK, but was already somewhat self-taught). This would work really well if you had Vet status and could start at level 4.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squishwizzy View Post
    Rogue for the story line.

    As for your preference, what do you like to run? You like doing DPS, or want to try something new?

    Rogue is the most versitile - you can trapsmith, go assassin for the instakill, decent UMD so you can augment with scrolls. They tend to be on the gimpy side though.

    Ranger tends to be a little less versitile. You go Arcane Archer you pretty much limit yourself to bows and standing in the back. You've got decent self-healing and a fairly eclectic (but helpful) array of spells. Pure DPS tends to be a bit of a problem. They are more utility players.

    I've got an AA and a rogue. Both can be very stealthy. I like running the rogue better.
    well I never planned on taking the Prestige Enhancements so that issue is not really a problem. and rogue seems less of a PDK than a ranger due to the sneak attack that is core to their survival.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora View Post
    I get bored with pure rogues, and pure rangers seem to be good at a lot and great at nothing. If your mind is set on playing a pure class then I don't have any suggestions. As far as your bio you could do either a rogue or ranger with1 or 2 levels of fighter splashed (but don't take fighter first, take the rogue or ranger for the skill points).

    Take rogue or ranger (to suggest he wasn't a raw recruit when he joined the PDK, but was already somewhat self-taught). This would work really well if you had Vet status and could start at level 4.
    I may switch my Drow to fighter for some odd reason, so I thought maybe a specialist to round things out. Plus, I may do a little story with all four of them in a party fighting evil and dealing with a crazy fey queen of summer.

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Also, i am taking into account the Epic destinies. As in which one works for the character idea

    Ranger: has 2-3 potential options
    Rogue: only one real option.

  14. #14
    Community Member junta74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firelord1230 View Post
    I have decided to flesh out the Bio a bit for better clarity:

    Janvar Corrick was born to a Purple Dragon Knight mother and a merchant father. He trained with his mother, as he felt like the merchant's life was not for him. He tried to become a PDK, but began to realize that he was meant for things other than a life in the military. Following a strange dream from a woman he believed was a fey creature, he left to find those that needed his help. He boarded a ship that was sailing somewhere. The ship found it's way via a mystical portal to Eberron, when it was attacked and destroyed by a dragon, near Korthos Island.

    Hope this helps explain what I want for the Character, and give you a better clue of what would fit.
    This sounds like a bard to me. Charisma from his father and a good understanding of the sword from his mother. Plus his head is a bit in the clouds following around strange fey women in dreams.

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by junta74 View Post
    This sounds like a bard to me. Charisma from his father and a good understanding of the sword from his mother. Plus his head is a bit in the clouds following around strange fey women in dreams.
    Lol, not like it was a normal dream for him. More like it was a dream and a calling.

    Also, head in the clouds. *Shakes head*
    Last edited by firelord1230; 02-02-2013 at 03:46 PM.

  16. #16
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Anyone else Think I should go bard instead?

    I am asking about Bard now because the fey dream thing sounds like something that a Bard would get.
    Last edited by firelord1230; 02-03-2013 at 02:12 PM.

  17. #17
    Community Member AbyssalMage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Hmmmm....I don't really like pure Ranger so I vote Rogue.

    Rogue can fit into any storyline honestly. Whether he is a thief who steals to survive or he works for the PDK as a scout.

    Pure Ranger in DDO, :x . Now you can do an Exploiter or Trapper and tie in the Lone Wolf + Scout + PDK background and not lose anything. I would argue you gain some thing by multi-classing the fighter (PDK), Rogue (Scout), and Ranger (Lone wolf, doesn't work too well with the PDK) but respects them and they share a common cause.

    But if you want to go pure, Rogue.

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default Ranger or Rogue....OR BARD

    I am officially adding the Bard to the list of potential class suggestions.

  19. #19
    Community Member squishwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora View Post
    I get bored with pure rogues, and pure rangers seem to be good at a lot and great at nothing.
    I cannot disagree more.

    I LOVE playing my rogue assassin. I love sneaking up behind someone, and POW! Assassination!




    It's kinda like work...but in a video game...and no desk phone or e-mails.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

  20. #20
    Community Member AbyssalMage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firelord1230 View Post
    I am officially adding the Bard to the list of potential class suggestions.
    If your thinking about multi-classing, then I would vote bard over Ranger or Rogue Otherwise my previous response stands.

    Although, now that I am thinking about it, groups 21+ like Virtuoso Bards so you may want to "ride that ship while it is hot before it sets sail."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload