Community Member Son_of_the_South's Avatar

Default Repeating one quest in a chain

Say im running Water Works and have just completed part 1 on elite (The Kobold's Den: Clan Gnashtooth) and then complete part 2 on elite (The Kobold's Den: Rescuing Arlos) and i want to immediately do Part 2 again but on Hard.

Can i go straight back into Part 2 or do i need to abandon Part 2 and head straight back in or will this reset the whole chain forcing me to re do Part 1 also?

Can I, if in a party with others, "grab the window" of Part 2 and head back in on Hard (or only on elite). Is there a way to farm Part 2 without having to re do Part 1? Can one person abandon Part 2 allowing another to 'share' that part and head back in?

I know Part 2 is linked to Part 1 which is why i ask.

Same goes for Tangleroot and others like Catacombs...........

The only way I know is when you in party and you dont advance after you finish first part.
    Others advance it,so you go in on elite red window and can come back to do it hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    The only way I know is when you in party and you dont advance after you finish first part.
    Others advance it,so you go in on elite red window and can come back to do it hard.
    Is this what they call window farming? I've seen that term but not really known what it meant

Lancashire UK - Keeper Refugee, Played since beta

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    Is this what they call window farming? I've seen that term but not really known what it meant
    complete a quest
    all but 1 recall (or at least 1 person remain in)
    one opens the enter quest/difficulty select "window"
    remaining person recalls
    game logic removes the instance as its empty and complete.
    person holding the "window" enters quest
    game logic creates new instance
    all enter
    ?
    profit

you can reset the quest chain and do parts 1 and 2 again if you want to.
    Dex - Leader - THΣ ЏΠΣΔЯТΗΣÐ ΔЯСΔΠΔ
    I don't do serious, it no fun

changing difficulty mid farm on ww would only work if 1 guy sat out p2, as has been sugested in a chain where you have to advance each time its different

OP, ivan told you the way to do what you want(play in a different diff of the same quest, someone needs to stay in part 1 of the chain, because if he/she advances, the quest will be completed in part2, so you will need to do part 1 &2)

windowfarming is what dexol said, this way you can't change the difficulty

so if you want to rerun a quest in different diff, make sure at least 1 don't talk to the guy to advance in the chain(no matter which chain, you always have to talk to a guy to advance your chain, don't recall any exception)
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

WW and STK cant think of any others though

There are several quest chains that are difficult to go back to mid-quest; Waterworks, Seal of Shan-To-Kor (STK), Assault on Splinterskull (Tangleroot), Greymoon Waning and Cult of the Six (Co6), Delera's Tomb, Ruins of Threnal, etc.

In some cases you can repeat specific portions of the quest by window farming -- for example, Thrall of the Necromancer from the Delera's Tomb series. In other cases finishing one part automatically advances you to the next part -- for example Waterworks.

You CAN farm the auto advance quests but you have to be careful. The other way to get around this automatic advancement is by having party members NOT advance the quest. But, it is a PITA to do it this way because you have to finish a part, recall out, then wait on the designated party member to run to the quest giver and run back again.

When window farming it is sometimes hard to change the difficulty level of the quest because when the player "grabs the window" it will show the quest in progress with the current difficulty setting. You typically cannot reset the difficulty even after the last person recalls (having waited for the player to "grab the window"). People who want to run the quest this way -- first at one difficulty and then at the other -- usually are forced to use the walk-around method of having a player who did NOT advance the quest to start with.

The one other way around this is to have a second character who is on that particular quest chain and the precise quest you need, with the ability to open on the difficulty you need. They join the group temporarily, open the quest, then drop group only to be replaced by the character you want to play.

Again, this is a PITA but some players (particularly those with multiple TRs who are following leveling plans and hunting maximum XP quests) will do this just to open the high XP quest on elite. They'll then use the window farm method to keep the quest running while they farm.
    Last edited by Therigar; 01-31-2013 at 06:55 AM.

People who are super-serial about doing a mid-chain quest without having to re-run the entire chain over again will have a second account where a character is at that stage of the chain, but who never completes it.

Second account opens quest, party enters, second account leaves quest and logs out, party runs quest.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.