Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Default Solo Elite Tempest's Spine at Character Level 7

Some photos included.

I've tried this for 3 lives now (skipping the ones where I was on a late bloomer), and each time have done a little better. This time I prepared more than in the past, and was ready for the ridiculous damage output that Sor'jek surprised me with last attempt.

This picture shows the culmination of the better part of 2 hours.

Xp screens:

While only about 55 minutes were spent in the quest (by design since I was not eager to fight Sor'jek without 30 resists) about another hour was spent in preparation.

- I crafted a level 7 gear setup (largely just +4 stats and GFL since Death Priests spam dispel so often that relying on spells/wands is a no-go. The crossbow is a boring +2 Holy Heavy Repeater of Bleeding (MC) with a +3 guild accuracy crystal in it),
    - shopped for wands (prot from evil, prot from energy, stoneskin, bull's strength - to buff doggy to open levers, and flame arrow),
    - filled augment crystals (+1 reflex saves, +60 SP, and +15HP)
    - repeatedly failed to teleport to the portable hole but ultimately succeeded and bought scrolls (fire shield, jump, nightshield, blur),
    - picked up potions (rage, heroism, blindness removal, neutralize poison, 300 CSW, and lesser restoration)
    - read through my cookies and decided some would be useful (toven's, syrania, blue abashai, red abashia, daanvi)
    - and even got the ship dummy for once

The hardest parts were where retreat was impossible:

- The very beginning corridor.
    A group of blackguards in a tight space is not fun. Something was trying to stun me at times too. My self-healing was nowhere near strong enough to kite multiple drow for long in the space of that corridor (CSW pots 20-30, CSW wand ~40). Death priests who dispel interspersed with hill giant soothsayers who destruct mean you have to be very careful with refreshing Deathward as deathblock doesn't cut it against destruction - hence 6 Visors.

- Lair of Fire and Ice.
    The hard part is whatever you do second due to the time crunch. I went the traditional ice -> fire because my cold damage burst damage - which deals double damage to the fire reaver - is reasonably high due to Frozen Tunic and Devourer's Hunger. Getting past the fire giant slayers and mephits without being danced was also exciting.

- The first beholder room.
    The beholder itself is trivial, but its Tharaak Hounds with big damage + knockdown Cyclonic Breath aren't. I also lacked the dps to kill most of the death priest, blackguard and scorrow army before the beholder and hounds emerged.

- Every time there were 2 Fire Giant Slayers and other mobs.
    Dance = death and they're not slow movers.

- The corridor that seals shut and pours out death priests and scorrow from 4 doors.
    Apart from Sor'jek, this was easily the roughest part. I nearly died from Con loss as they all spam poison the spell or ability from melee like crazy. Neutralize poison pots should be great, but the Death Priests are dispelling. With massively reduced HP from con loss, it was touch and go.

- Not the Marut.
    Really easy for an artificer. On a melee I think... well I think you'd be dead way before this point on a melee, so who knows. Maybe I'd be surprised.

- Sor'jek.
    He is just awful. Constant Lightning Storm and Chain Lightning and sword smacks (one of which crit me for 81 - yay moderate fort :P) are huge damage to absorb and heal at that level. I was furiously spamming prot from elec, drinking pots and wand whipping CSW from the instant I began doing the puzzle. Also, I had no source of FoM so fell over a bit, which made things more exciting.

No mana pots used, no deaths, no re-entries, all traps and optionals apart from clearing the mountain.

EDIT: Tempest's Spine won't let you in at character level 6. Weak.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

lol, awesome post. very nice

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default ts solo

Grats
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Nice work!

Community Member

Nice work. However, my favorite part of tempest spine is the pugs who join. You've omitted one of the more enjoyable parts of this raid. Did you laugh even once during this run?

Nice!

Well done! Impressive!

Scholar of Treasure Dragon.Star's Avatar

Impressive!! A worthy Achievement.
    Guild: Ghallanda Rerolled
    Artamax - Cleandeath - Cleanup - Dragonbound - Draykon - Gully - Magestic - Tinbucket
    DDO Character Planner (Stable: Version 04.20.02) , Version 04.23.1 - Planner 5.0 Interface Discussion

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

This is brilliant! Go go baby Aggrim!

I remember that time you were mid TR train and CE did a fresh level 7s elite run - and you had to run a fast challenge to be able to take level 7 to get in on your TR Did you get the idea from then? You did a lot of work that run I remember.

I've never noticed poison pots being dispelled - I guess it could be but it's timer is so short. Would you slot poison resist anther time (if you can)? Having so many pots on constant timer would be a pain.

Well done you awesome arti you
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post
    I remember that time you were mid TR train and CE did a fresh level 7s elite run - and you had to run a fast challenge to be able to take level 7 to get in on your TR Did you get the idea from then? You did a lot of work that run I remember.
    I did get the idea from there! You crazy kids know how to have fun. I even went back in later that day and promptly died.

Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post
    I've never noticed poison pots being dispelled - I guess it could be but it's timer is so short. Would you slot poison resist anther time (if you can)? Having so many pots on constant timer would be a pain.
    Yeah I nearly didn't include that as I'm only "pretty sure" they were dispelling the pots' temporary immunity. 20 seconds (maybe it's more actually since I'm arti 7) probably goes by quickly in that fight and I was distractedly chugging lesser restore pots and/or CSW pots every time potion cooldown was up. Like I said, pretty sure that's what was happening though as I felt like the incoming Poison attempts were constant.

I probably wouldn't bother slotting poison resistance due to laziness - it's only that bit where poison becomes a real issue - but I would bring a wand of either Lesser Restoration or Neutralize Poison to avoid the already over-shared cooldown on pots. I also could have used better tactics.

Thinking I was being clever I had just summoned a Daanvi cookie Shrieking Defender - which died in about .5 of a second after the doors opened - but left me with a 300 second cooldown on Flame Turret. I couldn't wait out the 5 minute timer since this was near the end and I knew reaching Sor'jek with buffs was going to be tight.

In future, I'd Flame Turret just outside the first door on the right, would activate the encounter, fusillade the first door on the left, then run into the door where I put the turret. I'm sure it would still be difficult as all 4 rooms insta-aggro on you regardless of what you do in there, nor do turrets do much damage in Tempest's Spine generally (see Misadventure's pathetic kill count), or last particularly long under duress, but the whole encounter was unnecessarily extra messy this time.
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.

I'll tell you if you take care of your own curses.

Pretty damn impressive. Nice job!
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

Nerf Arties - clearly OP

But seriously that is a fine achievement

I think the current holy grail of mid-level soloing is a bravery solo Reaver's Fate without mana pots. So get working on it.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    I think the current holy grail of mid-level soloing is a bravery solo Reaver's Fate without mana pots. So get working on it.
    Really sir Sirgog, you couldn't throw an attaboy or gratz or something?

Oh now I'm seriously thinking about it.

I think one of those new-fangled Juggernaut builds would have a much easier time than the hot mess (8 Arti / 3 Monk / 5 Cleric) that I'll be at 16, but I will give it a crack or two.

Expect angry and disappointed tells when I fail.

EDIT: Failed miserably for anyone interested. Barely had the Reaver under half when the bomb exploded. Lessons learned:
    - Turn on Archer's Stance not stupid IPS once are flying
    - Use Flame Turret in Mid-air. It hits the Reaver a bit.
    - Flame Turret in Mid-air also allows sneak attacks (though some form of fort bypass, like Black Scale Robe, helps a lot)
    - Don't forget to be blasting your rune arm, Aggrim, you idiot
    Not trying again; while being more vigilant about the above could improve performance, it's not going to double it.
    Last edited by Deathdefy; 02-05-2013 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    Really sir Sirgog, you couldn't throw an attaboy or gratz or something?
    Aggrim would never expect me to be nice to him. The shock might kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    Oh now I'm seriously thinking about it.

I think one of those new-fangled Juggernaut builds would have a much easier time than the hot mess (8 Arti / 3 Monk / 5 Cleric) that I'll be at 16, but I will give it a crack or two.

Expect angry and disappointed tells when I fail.
    I don't think the Juggernauts have the DPS for it.

170k damage in ~15 min (of which maybe 2 min is spent stapled to the ceiling) - that requires heavy blasting.

I tried on Sorc lives but didn't go overboard with the attempts. Not sure any other class has the DPS.

Aggrim would never expect me to be nice to him. The shock might kill him.
    lol

Max Gratz!

Never even thought about trying it at level 7. Been in there solo any number of times at 10-12. That's one heck of an achievement considering the relative power by comparison. I'll have to try that sometime, and fail heh.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!