Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: ED suggestion!!

Default ED suggestion!!

My guildies and I where discussing destinies, and how much it sucks to have to switch out of a good one to a bad one. It sucked being in shadow on my FVS.

I have seen multiple complaints on forums and people asking for a way to stay in main line while lvling other less interesting ED for that character. I know this has been talked in other threads but haven't seen a thread just dedicated to it, but my search-fu might just be weak.

My personal suggestion is if want to stay in main destiny then why not make us take a xp hit like 25-50% hit if want to put xp towards a different line while staying in main line.

That might not be very popular, but me personally would have a lot more fun and less burn if could play my character in it's main line and still advance in others.

Heres another link to a post in this thread from a guildie that is a great idea:

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...&postcount=247
    Last edited by Bilger; 01-31-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    Proud Officer of The Madborn

Community Member

Taking a 50% cut is the mainstream suggestion. No word from devs.
    ME BARB, ME SMA-ok I stand here with pretty blue lines around me. ok I take damage. ok bye.

I don't even see the need to take a penalty. You should just be able to designate which destiny receives XP you earn, and which is active. The two should not be connected.

This would turn a horribly grindy and unfun mechanic into a reasonable progression of power that can be enjoyable throughout (without all the unfortunate side effects and over powered abilities of the multi-destiny-active exploit)

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    I don't even see the need to take a penalty. You should just be able to designate which destiny receives XP you earn, and which is active. The two should not be connected.

This would turn a horribly grindy and unfun mechanic into a reasonable progression of power that can be enjoyable throughout (without all the unfortunate side effects and over powered abilities of the multi-destiny-active exploit)
    I wish they would do it without a penalty, but the way the game is will never happen.

It would be a lot more fun than having to do caster lines on a melee or taking shadow on a healer. If it takes me taking a XP hit I would do it any day.

To make it super easy to code with no new GUI element required, I'd like to see the mechanic work as follows:

1) If your active destiny doesn't show "Max XP Achieved," 100% xp goes into the active destiny. Spillover when you actually achieve the max is thrown away.
    2) If the active destiny DOES show "Max XP Achieved," 5% xp goes to all other destinies. Any other destinies that are capped, that 5% is thrown away.

With 11 destinies in the game, that makes 50% earned xp once you cap your main destiny. If that's too much, kick it down to 3% to all other destinies, making it 30% earned.

The problem with choosing a secondary destiny to earn the xp is that it's very awkward from a user interface perspective.

Community Member

Some really cool ideas here! I wonder how many folks are really ****y over a specific item vanishing from the store? Maybe that will drive enough angst to have the process updated

I agree; be able to use the destiny you currently like while designating all your xp to a different destiny that you can't use but still level in.

It would make a huge dent in the horrible destiny grind where you're forced to level in a destiny that is 90 percent pure garbage for some classes.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

My idea would be:
    split XP equally between active destiny and all destinies from which you got twists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Community Member

Choosing between being useless for Elite or taking 50% xp loss i would take the xp loss.

ah well its not as if that topic didnt come up months before motu release....
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Aye, agreed. At least don't make me have to de-level my character to progress. This is what the current ED system feels like, and I don't think a single person who actually plays DDO likes this.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    My idea would be:
    split XP equally between active destiny and all destinies from which you got twists.
    With that you would still have to run up some of that lines to get there and get twists.

What this is suggesting is being able to select a destiny for at least some of your xp to go to while playing in a line and having fun and not burning out on character ,because you are in a line that really sux for your class.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

I believe that ED's are intended to be a much longer more spread out process, and for that reason it's currently much more grindy than they want it to be.

I think they plan on at least level 30 if not level 40 in a few years. They will probably make a "ED pass" after the final level cap is set, be it 30 or 40. But right now IMO you're experiencing AT LEAST 10 or possibly even 20 Epic levels worth of ED levels crunched down into the confines of 5 epic levels.

Personally as I look at ED's, the biggest problem with them is that they are EXTREMELY uneven and non-equitable from one to the next.

IMO you have some destinies that are just plain boring, and un imaginative. A few of them have 1 or 2 really nice tier 1 to tier 4 abilities and can thus safely be looked at as "twist only" ED's. They seem very uneven some being pretty weak compared to what other ED's have going for them. Especially when you see something that adds 2 whole points of melee damage at the same tier/Opportunity cost as a no Spell point cost SLA that does 200+ damage every 3 seconds over 500 on a crit, with the right feats. ..

How about Angel Wings innate ability versus any single Unyielding Sentinel innate, An attack bonus? 10 PR? 5 AC and the die hard feat? *yawn* if they were trying to make Paladin's take the Exalted Angel ED so they would taste a sip of the DPS of light based spells, to make them feel EVEN WEAKER with their "once in a while I get a crit on a Smite and I can actually tell I hit on that smite use" and "every 3 seconds I get 30-ish light damage from my divine sacrifice". Well if that's the goal they've hit the mark at least in my case, because my Pali is going to TR into a Melee FvS, and approximately double that characters effectiveness and usefulness in a quest.

All of which is my long winded way of saying, ED's right now are probably feeling a lot more grindy than they should be, because they are compacted into a 5 epic level range, meaning you still need to do a lot of repetition of the same small number of quests, to "farm" ED's couple this with many of the ED's being less than inspired, and some of them being over powered and fun to be in; in the sense of "fun new things my character can do". Yeah it's lame losing Wings on my Pali switching to the Pali focused ED and getting "5ac and die hard feat" instead... Maybe I'm not min/max enough, but I'll be using the Exalted Angel ED on my Pali, because Wings a handy pew pew SLA, positive energy boost, and even an unmeta'd (only swapping in Radiance SP items) Epic light AOE are more interesting than the stuff Unyielding Sentinel is bringing, of course I always have the excuse that I'll be TR'ing to a FvS melee anyway "Endless Smiting"? Try: Slightly More Smiting *yawn*
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

Hi DDO staffers

Seen some players asking for the ability to earn epic destiny xp for a destiny that they are not
    currently using with some penalities for it.

Here is a completionists thought's on the matter (right or wrong imho):

Part of the goal and purpose of a completionist is to understand all the variations of the game.
    Having done completionist my perspective of the game has broadened alot,
    and I am more sympathic to all the classes realizing their strenghts and weaknesses.

This same perspective applied to epic destinies - having to be in a particular
    epic destiny to level it up will give you a better appreciation and understanding of the
    options available to epic characters.

Also, tinkering with game mechanics can produced bugs.
    These bugs would slow down creation of the new enhancement update.

Keep up the good work,
    Fawngate

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    Hi DDO staffers

Seen some players asking for the ability to earn epic destiny xp for a destiny that they are not

Part of the goal and purpose of a completionist is to understand all the variations of the game.
    and I am more sympathic to all the classes realizing their strenghts and weaknesses.

epic destiny to level it up will give you a better appreciation and understanding of the

Keep up the good work,
    Fawngate
    Care to explain what my Palemaster learns in any other ED that is not Magister?
    Yeah its so helpful that i can LayWaste, could have named that Take a Dump..
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Hi DDO staffers

Keep up the good work,
    Fawngate
    What are you learning as a fvs in shadow line or a barb in a magister line?

Seriously completionist has nothing to do with ED.

Yes as a completionist has done all classes but that has nothing to do with ED.

The concepts are diff from ED to completionist.

Hi DDO staffers

Keep up the good work,
    Fawngate
    ED is not in any way comparable to TR. With TR you are useful in that class each time you level.

With EDs you are USELESS in many EDs while you level and there is nothing to be gained in that ED for that base class.

Although I don't agree with it; I understand your point of view entirely.

I don't expect the epic destiny twist farming to get easier, its gonna get worse not better.

Possiblities (which may not come true)

Level cap goes up to 30 ~ epic destinies goes up to 10 with much much higher xp requirements.

Four more epic destnies added.

But that means 4/4/4 twists someday.

Eventually players will ask themselves what twists do they need, not trying to max out everything,
    cause its gonna become more like uber completionist someday. Look at the jump in xp for
    capping out lvl 5 compared to capping out lvl 4.

Epic destinies are gonna get stronger too.

What happens if the level cap goes to 40 and ED lvls go to 20?
    Even more xp per level...

Umm... i just know im going to be popular after saying this, but no, i dont think it should be allowed. I think the ability to level several EDs per life is a bad idea in the first place. The only result the possibility has, is that people believe that they MUST do so. Which they really dont. Its just the belief that having the most powerful toon you can is what makes a game fun raising its head again.

I find it far better to TR as soon as ive through a certain ED, and then take the next one next life. That way i can always level in an ED that is useful.

Of course, some people dont want to TR and find this unfair. I cant say anything except that youve made your choice, and now have to live with the fact that it is a grind.

It's nice in theory, but in practice this simply doesn't work. I find it much less fun being in an off destiny. So much less fun that 100% of my time in off destinies is spent crouching in sneak mode on a bell just to get the awful off-destiny experience over with as quickly as possible.

What am I learning while I do this?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Umm... i just know im going to be popular after saying this, but no, i dont think it should be allowed. I think the ability to level several EDs per life is a bad idea in the first place. The only result the possibility has, is that people believe that they MUST do so. Which they really dont. Its just the belief that having the most powerful toon you can is what makes a game fun raising its head again.

I find it far better to TR as soon as ive through a certain ED, and then take the next one next life. That way i can always level in an ED that is useful.

Of course, some people dont want to TR and find this unfair. I cant say anything except that youve made your choice, and now have to live with the fact that it is a grind.
    Got to be careful with that or you'll be stuck in the wrong side of your ED tree. For example, I claimed Magister on my Wizard (his first ED claimed). Then after playing with it a while (maybe to like tier 2 or so)..I decided that what I really wanted was a PLONK. So I TR'd my wizzy into a plonk. Then when I got to 20 and went to start his ED I found that I had Magister, Bard, and Draconic trees open. The EDs that I wanted were on the far left..so I had to level up a few EDs that I didnt wany any part of...because I had locked myself into an arcane epic destiny mapping process.

Just a heads up for any who were thinking that they'd dabble with an ED a bit then TR.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast