Community Member

Default Plz help me to realize a rogue/monk-build

Hi there!

I wanna tr my light monk (3. life, have already a fighter and a ranger pl) into a rogue/monk build. I wanna use the stunning fists and the healing curse of the monk (for good self-sufficiency), compared with full trap skills and sneak attack bonus of a rogue and good survivability over all.
    I look up a lot of build here on the forum, but Im not sure what split is best (maybe with a pala or fighter splash?).

It shall not be a build for epic stuff (I think I will tr him afterwards again). I have a lot of good leveling gear (stone dusts, jiztekas, gs, madstones, bloodstone, full abishai...), +2 and +3 tomes. As p2p races I only have HE, as classes FvS and monk.

So far this build http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...12#post3188212 seems interesing, a 13 rogue 7 monk split. But generally nobody uses fists of light.
    Also this seems interesting http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=405503 ... but it seems better for endgame-playing.

Thanks for everything that helps!
    FJ
    Last edited by flotterjohnny; 01-28-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    Cannith - Blutwurst / Knackwurst

Going all the way to 3 monk means no Assassin 3, which is a pretty big loss. I personally wouldn't go past 3 monk if you're going light side, Shintao 1 is uninteresting.

Even pure monks are a little behind in defense, the heal on attack is strong but without an inherent spike heal your survivability will have gaps. Heal scrolls mitigate this to an extent, but only to an extent.

Trap skills will be no problem. Damage will be very good.

Human 17 rog 3 mnk (1 rog, 3 mnk, rest rog)
    32 points
    14 Str, Con, Int, Wis, 15 Dex
    This hits 21 Dex for ISA with level-ups alone, with your extra build points and presumably tomes you'll have an easier time. Your other important stats are Wis and Int, decide whether it's more important to you to have a stronger Stunning Fist or Assassinate, then spend accordingly.

Feats
    1 TWF and Toughness
    2 Stunning Fist
    3 Power Attack and Precision
    4 Light
    6 Improved Sunder
    9 ITWF
    12 IC Bludgeon
    15 GTWF
    18 Dodge
    21 Improved Sneak Attack
    24 Mobility

Key Enhancements
    Assassin 2 (note that this lets you skip Sneak Attack Accuracy 4)
    Sneak Attack Training 4
    Human Versatility 4
    Rogue Haste Boost 4
    Human Improved Recovery 3
    Monk Improved Recovery 1
    Subtle Backstabbing as much as you can get, I like 4

Even if the self-healing turns out to be catastrophically flawed, you'll be a fine DPS contributor and trapper. If you do go for it, I'd be interested to hear how the self-healing works out.

Now that I think of it, 16/4 might be even better. You trade 1d6 sneak attack for 0.5d6 base damage and 2% dodge, that's a decent trade for a build heavy on damage and a little light on defense. The feat order should still work.

I think your first instinct of going 13 rogue / 7 monk is likely the most solid/survivable leveling build.
    get your first level as a rogue, then monk to 7, then rogue all the way.

for race you might want to consider helf, racial heal amps with cleric dilli would go a long way towards improving your survivability. the wisdom required at creation is likely something you'd want to have regardless, for your stunning fist DC, so might as well get some heal scroll usage out of it (you could stock up on UMD gear to hit the UMD required for heal scrolls, but with the helf playing into your hands here, I wouldn't bother)

Community Member

Thx for the input. 16/4...makes sense. Maybe I start with 1 rogue, than 4 monks, again some rogues and if it wont work Ill give him some more monks.

Other opinions are welcome, maybe you say: DONT do something like this, stupid idea...

So far thank you!

I'm currently doing a 15rog/4mnk/1ftr life on my Monk TR

4 Monk for the die step and ...dodge? bonus, 15 rogue cause nobody takes an even # of Rog levels (unless it's 2 or 20), and the free feat from the fighter to fill the gap.

Level plan is pretty simple -- (Rog then Mnk) x4, then Rog, Ftr, and then Rog forever

I went with 13Rogue/6Monk/1Druid.

Druid for Rams Might since 14 Rogue or 7 Monk didnt offer anything useful.

It has been a very effective build.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Community Member

Thx JOTMON, could you gimmi the important parts of your concept? Stats, leveling-order, feats? Tyvm!

For my preferences i went...
    Rogue1,Monk,druid,monk2-3,rogue2-7ish,monk4-6,rogue rest. (or something like that)
    Low level monk and healing curse is very survivable, no healing help or pot guzzling required.

STR 14/40 (without stance, primal scream, boosts or pots)
    DEX 15/36
    CON 16/36
    INT 14/34
    WIS 14/34
    CHA 10/26

4 Level ups to str 1 Level up to CON(for Epic Toughness)
    I have +4 Tomes across the board and completionist.

706HP
    Saves 51/47/42
    Standing ac 65/Dodge 13%+ Blurry 20%/ghostly 10%/Displacement clickies
    Fortification 165%
    unbuffed UMD 50/boost to 66
    Search/Disable +72
    Primarially in firestance (way of the sunsoul set)
    Epic Destiny capped in Grandmaster of flowers
    Twisted
    -Rejuvanation cocoon
    -Primal Scream
    -Brace for impact

Feats (dont remember the order):
    Toughness
    Stunning Fist
    Completionist
    Light Path Monk(Dark is more DPS, but i like the light buffs and healing curse)
    Dragonmark of passage-least (expedious retreat 25%)
    Dragonmark of passage-lesser (DDoor).. great for levelling.
    Two Weapon Fighting
    Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    Hamstring
    Improved Critical Bludgeoning
    Precision
    Active Pastlife Monk
    Epic Toughness

Enhancements-
    Rogue Damage Boost2
    Rogue Haste Boost 3
    Human Versatility 4
    Human Improved Recovery 3
    Monk Recovery 1
    Adapt of Flame
    Racial Toughness 2
    Rogue Assassin 2
    Sneak attsack accuracy 3
    Sneak attack training 4
    Druid Toughness 1
    Wand Mastery 3

Selfcast Heal scrolls hit me for 486
    Primarially use Grave Wrappings/Antipode,Wraps of endless light.
    Damage is 8(1d6)+39 + Holyburst+whichever elemental Burst ring i swap in(usually acid burst)+7d6 sneak attack +++...

There are lots of variations available, this is the preference I went with for my Jack of Trades Master of None Build.. hence the name... Jotmon.
    I would link my ddo... but this one broke 4 lives ago at level 1 on my Wizard TR life.... bug reported over 6 months ago and still broke....
    Last edited by JOTMON; 02-04-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

I've been thinking of doing a 12 Monk/7 Rogue/1 X for a TR life. I did one on a first-lifer and it was effective, so it would mainly depend on whether you wanted a rogue class icon for PL purposes.

Versus a 13 Rogue/6 Monk/1 X split, you'd lose:

1d6 + 3 sneak attack damage (lose from rogue levels but get back with Ninja Spy II)
    Rogue class feat (likely improved evasion, which you'd get from 9 Monk anyway)
    Skill points
    Improved Sneak Attack

And you'd gain:

Touch of Death
    Tier III stances
    2 more die step increases
    Access to Improved Martial Arts and Vorpal Fists by having 12 Monk
    More HP

Frankly, I'd either do a 12/7/1 or just go 18 Rogue/2 Monk for raw DPS and Assassin III.
    Order of the Silver Dragons||Argonessen
    Vratch||~Terevorn~||Ignys||Zofya||Virochka
    Theologians don't know nothin' about my soul.

If you dont plan to stay at 20 and above. A useful leveling split could be 1 rog 2-9 monk 10-18 rogue. Get Opportunist as rogue talent and levels 19-20 dont matter at all since is going to be a hit cap tr again. For what I understand from your first post.

8 monks give you improved unarmed damage. And stance, extra talent, etc (all a monk gets with sixth levels)

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbaragum View Post
    If you dont plan to stay at 20 and above. A useful leveling split could be 1 rog 2-9 monk 10-18 rogue. Get Opportunist as rogue talent and levels 19-20 dont matter at all since is going to be a hit cap tr again. For what I understand from your first post.

8 monks give you improved unarmed damage. And stance, extra talent, etc (all a monk gets with sixth levels)
    I'd never advise this progression...you're taking the 2 classes in the game that get Improved Evasion and not taking it?