Default Splashing two Monk lvls: What levels and why?

Hello all-

I am planning a 18/2 Arty/Monk build to experiment with an evasion build. I see most multiclassed arties splash the two monk levels at 2 and 8, but for the life of me I cannot find the explanation or game mechanic behind it. I believe (but this could be wrong), feat progression is based on your class level, not your character level. If so, why does the level matter? I understand if you are plashing rogue, for instance, you do so at lvl 1 for the extra skill points, but if you are splashing monk does it matter, and if so, why? Thanks in advance for your help.

In this case you should, obviously, take artificer at 1st to max out all your skill points. After that, it really depends on when you want to have evasion. If you go 6 arti first, you have access to the PrE which is pretty great. Any splashes before 6 just makes you have to wait longer for the PrE. So, unless you think you are going to need evasion sooner, there is no reason to take monk until at least level 7.

On other builds the monk extra feat can be particularly useful but I don't think so on an arti. None of those feats are particularly needed by a ranged arti, (melee might be a different story) at early levels compared to other classes/builds.

That's my opinion.
    Persius, Equus, Maeric, Khaaldun, Robotcoupe
    The Exploration Society ~ Thelanis

Community Member

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that people are capitalizing on the bonus feats granted by monk without delaying the prestige enchantment too much.

lvl 1 -> artificer: lvl 1 spells, repeater use, trap skills
    lvl 2 -> monk: monk bonus feat (toughness, for instance) , gain some decent melee ability, +2 on all saves, +2% dodge
    lvl 7 -> artificer lvl 6: lvl 3 spells, battle engineer
    lvl 8 -> monk lvl 2: evasion, monk bonus feat, +1 on all saves, +2% dodge

In the end, it doesn't really matter. It all depends on how early you want those 2 feats and evasion. On my druid/monk, I took the monk levels at level 8 and 9. Traps aren't really a problem before that point.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeathsApprentice View Post
    I'm no expert, but it seems to me that people are capitalizing on the bonus feats granted by monk without delaying the prestige enchantment too much.
    It may also be about maximizing how you spread your skill pts from those monk lvls. A common reason for waiting until lvl 8 could be waiting until after you take a +2 INT tome and/or put 1st two lvl-ups into INT.

Really, though, what's important is making sure you plan in advance to make sure you don't make a mistake you'll later regret.

Thank you all, I appreciate your opinions. I just wanted to be sure I was not missing something big.

I've multiclassed the monk for 1 art and 1 druid.

Here is the build, http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=407327

Let your monklvl depend on how many skillpoints you are getting out of it.
    Monks have diplomacy, arties don't. If you have 16 int you get 7 skillpoints to put into diplo to minimize crossclass expenditure. So dip at 4. And again whenever you feel you want evasion or more cheap diplo/concentration.

The reason for monk is the extra feats AND the evasion. Other class benefits don't hurt either.

It really doesn't matter in terms of skill points whether monk is first or second because artificer and monk get the same number of skill points per level. The reason artificer goes first is that the rogue skills are only open to the artificer.

Decision on when to take monk levels is generally as already mentioned, the desire to fit in battle engineer as soon as practical. Players could opt to take monk at L7 and L8. Probably very little hurt doing it that way and potentially some things gained.

As pointed out, stat increases in INT and tome use might give more skill points at L7 and L8 to put into skills that are monk but not artificer skills. That requires a bit of planning and may not matter, depending on what skills you personally value.