Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Named Shurikens

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    So you're saying that you've made a new loot item whose effect is so secret and occurs so rarely and is so difficult/random to acquire that no one has noticed it or cares that it exists, months and months after it appeared? Excellent job. Dev manhours well spent.
    Wow, nice post there Feklar.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    So you're saying that you've made a new loot item whose effect is so secret
    It's not really a secret or hidden. But I'm sure most people overlook the effect for various reason...

and occurs so rarely
    Possibly so. Don't have any the thrown weapons to tell you how often it proccs...

and is so difficult/random to acquire
    Making the thrown weapons isn't hard to do, if you're a caster or healer, since the ingredients are BTC and the challenges have a high demand for either of those roles. It's the melees that would be most likely to use thrown weapons that usually have a harder time getting the ingredients to make items. And let's face it, Thrown weapons aren't in demand for 99% of quests, except to break barrels and a handful of target levers, which the worst random ML1 thrown weapon works just as well as an expensive to grind BTC weapon...

that no one has noticed it or cares that it exists, months and months after it appeared? Excellent job. Dev manhours well spent.
    Yup. Go figure.

For the spelltouched effects, it is long been well documented in ddowiki very very long ago, so it would be very wrong in saying that nobody knew that it existed.....
    Last edited by Vien; 01-29-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    Vienne, Vienrus, Viende, Vienneal, Vienhull, Viencap
    ChaosKnights, Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Wow, nice post there Feklar.
    Hehe, you said it would happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Maybe people should try them before writing them off as pointless flavour. <-- Obvious crazy talk.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    Maybe people should try them before writing them off as pointless flavour. <-- Obvious crazy talk.
    Maybe maybe....

You could trust the ones that did try it and were not impressed, OR go farm a LOT of boring challenges for a small chance at a potential slim possibility of a randomly decent throwing weapon, if you're lucky.

To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    The effect is nice, but not worth putting up with slogging through some of the most mindless, repetitive, dumbed-down whackamole game-play, (with no real release, since they're all fundamentally the same setup, with the occasional bit of different scenery) that it has ever been my displeasure to encounter in this game. Particularly not if you've a preference for alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovrad View Post
    Maybe maybe....

You could trust the ones that did try it and were not impressed, OR go farm a LOT of boring challenges for a small chance at a potential slim possibility of a randomly decent throwing weapon, if you're lucky.

To each his own.
    I must have missed the damning reviews. It takes how many challenges to get a level 16 one?

Like you said, to each his own.
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    I've been waiting for almost eight months for people to realize that the Spelltouched throwing weaponry exists!

...I wonder how long it will take people to figure out what Spelltouched actually does?

Anyone able to figure the details out gets a gold star.

btw
    Spelltouched does nothing in Wolf-Form

Its effects are
    1dx aligned or elemental damage
    chance for impr shattermantle
    chance for destruction (armor reduction)
    chance for -1 Str or Dex or Con
    chance for shaken
    chance for exhausted
    chance for damage ~120 (slash/pierce..)
    chance for higher sneak damage
    chance for haste
    (tested in highroad slayer [~300kills], there may be more but with such a useless combat log its a pain in the ass to filter it out)

So, still not a reason to grind out a base damage and crit profil subpar weapon

Make it work in Wolf-form and make Mats BTA and i consider using the useless mats i get every TR for the first-time boni of the challenges to obtain such a weapon.
    But even so its low priority especially since its another all or nothing brain****inggrind
    Last edited by Daemoneyes; 01-30-2013 at 02:57 AM.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

I really like throwing weapons and would love to see them as a viable weapon class in DDO. Unfortunately they seem not to be meant as a usable weapon in every way.

I sign the request of the OP for more named throwing weapons. The Epic Noxious Fang and the Shiradi Abilities are a step in the right direction to achieve some DPS with throwing weapons.

Personally i dont like the randomness in the eveningstar challenge weapons and the fact that the ingredients are bound to character. And though a possibly random effect like spellplague is nice flavor wise it is wasted if it is embedded as a hidden effect which 95% of DDO players might not even be aware of and is no substitute for the lack of viable Epic throwing weapons in my view.
    Shuricannon 2.0 Drow 20 Monk Thrower for DPS, Nethercannon Shadar-Kai 15 Pal/3 Monk/2 Rog Thrower for Past Lifes
    Shiradi Shuricannon Drow 20 Monk Thrower for Defense, Shiradi Warcannon Warforged 11 Wiz/6 Monk/3 Rog Thrower...Throwers for the win

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    Make it work in Wolf-form and make Mats BTA
    Brenna / Tzanna, The Dancing Rogues of Argonnessen
    Ascent on Argo
    "As the party's resident trap expert ..." <dies with smug yet surprised expression on face>

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vien View Post
    For the spelltouched effects, it is long been well documented in ddowiki very very long ago, so it would be very wrong in saying that nobody knew that it existed.....
    Ingame its only mentioned in the FLAVOR text, a game should not require using external info sites.
    If i wouldnt have read it here, then i wouldnt have assumed the FLAVOR text hints to a actual proc.

If we follow that strange game design logic every char would use complete **** items, just because the flavor text sounds awesome..

Really i thought ddo would be better then other games where you also have to guess what an item or proc does,
    especially since pnp fans make a big part of the fan base and they love numbers and information.
    Last edited by Daemoneyes; 01-30-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    Also add in that the ingredients are BTC while the Challenges have a low demand for melees and a high demand for casters, so I'm sure there are many people who have ingredient rich casters and maybe healers and ingredient poor melees. Especially if they are pugging the challenges.
    Yeah, I have lots of mats from back when the xps were good, but it never occurred to me to actually do any of the turn ins. I'm actually more likely to delete my bag than deal with this. Especially for a shuriken. Hidden effects, eh? Great!
    Don't be a figjam.

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    I'll have you know that Feather did stop by the number one fan site, and he told us how good he is at his job.
    Snrk.

On a more serious note, I and everyone I run with were aware of Spelltouched pretty soon after the system came out.
    That in no way makes it a universally assured bit of knowledge, but I am surprised that so many people seem to have not been aware of it.

But then, unlike many of those posting in this thread [by their direct statements to the matter], those I run with have interest in all the game's facets, including for-flavor and underdeveloped items and features, such as throwing weapons.

I imagine that was part of the matter.

In any case, it doesn't address the topic of actual named items, and for throwers- and many other item types-, there has never been much attention paid to the matter.
    Last edited by Dagolar; 01-30-2013 at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    I'd like to suggest less time on things like this, potions of wonder (a great tool for the griefer, and readily available in large amounts now), BTC crafting materials, challenge weapons with random properties and other mechanisms designed to increase grind, grotesquely drawn-out upgrade processes for raid loot, and fewer pony references.
    Can't speak to the rest of it but Feather did address the Potions of Wonder time issue:

I'm sorry to hear that many of you aren't interested in the upcoming patch changes to Potions of Wonder. Although I only mentioned it briefly, I wouldn't have if I had thought it would cause any strife.

While we understand that there is sometimes frustration from people who see work done on something they consider trivial or not to be worthwhile, I would like to dispel the myth that other, more "important" things could have been done instead.

Honestly, under an hour was spent updating Potions of Wonder. I felt it was important to do so, since I had seen some complaints/concerns on the forums since this last update regarding Potions of Wonder- where people formerly would have found one in a chest, they now find five at high levels.

This was an oversight on my part- I had neglected to note that they wouldn't stack in the chest, and that the spread of five potions of wonder listed out one by one might mislead people into thinking that the potions were replacing other, more valuable treasure in the chest, which they do not.

Having seen that concern on the forums, I decided to stay a little later than usual one evening to correct it. It was not a large task, and I feel that it certainly will add a little bit of enjoyment to the game to have Potions of Wonder be a little less predictable. New ones after the next patch will stack together, and will include many different effects such as turning you into a Taken, summoning a friendly creature, or even giving temporary invulnerability.

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

Default +1 Mate....+100000 if I could

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Hi,

The impression I'm getting here is that these weapons are another vanity project.

I'd like to suggest less time on things like this, potions of wonder (a great tool for the griefer, and readily available in large amounts now), BTC crafting materials, challenge weapons with random properties and other mechanisms designed to increase grind, grotesquely drawn-out upgrade processes for raid loot, and fewer pony references.

If you do want some suggestions about how the game could be substantially improved, there are many useful ideas here on these forums and in the other place. Make an enduring and useful contribution to the game and people will like you, no matter how snarky you continue to be with them.

Thanks.
    I like it. It was better than "Cats". I could read it again and again.
    I am often cynical and say mean things. It's a WAI "Feature".

Spelltouched throwing weapons didn't take any time to develop. In the first MotU beta, they were just Cormyrian throwing weapons... with a very interesting bug that happened whenever you attacked with one.
    On learning about this bug, the whole design team thought was so awesome, that instead of fixing it, we retconned the item descriptions instead to explain it. Thus, spelltouched was born.

On learning about this bug, the whole design team thought was so awesome, that instead of fixing it, we retconned the item descriptions instead to explain it. Thus, spelltouched was born.
    Might I suggest that the old shears of fate get given the same treatment?

Also, despite being one of the people who are quite quick to jump on you feather, I honestly don't believe you should feel obliged to justify how you spend your working time to us.

All opinions on loot quality aside, it's very obvious that there's a lot of work on loot being done.

Spelltouched throwing weapons didn't take any time to develop. In the first MotU beta, they were just Cormyrian throwing weapons... with a very interesting bug that happened whenever you attacked with one.
    Good hint.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    Its effects are
    1dx aligned or elemental damage True law, Flaming, etc.
    chance for impr shattermantle Shattermantle
    chance for destruction (armor reduction) Destruction
    chance for -1 Str or Dex or Con Weakening, Maladroit, Wounding
    chance for shaken Improved Roaring
    chance for exhausted Strength Sapping
    chance for damage ~120 (slash/pierce..) Heartseeker / Bloodletting, etc
    chance for higher sneak damage Backstabbing
    chance for haste ???
    Based on this, it seems like the effect is to perform a prefix or suffix from the list of lootgen affixes that can spawn on weaponry each hit. It seems like it's not limited to weapon affixes that could apply to that particular weapon due to the presence of Weakening, Maladroit and Wounding as well as both Heartseeker and Bloodletting.

The only problem with this guess is that haste seems like 'air guard', which is a lootgen property on armor.

I also have no idea if the affixes it can use go as high as the rarer ones like Toxic and Obscenity. I would guess it doesn't, since it doesn't seem to drop as low as Cold Touch and Fire Touch, so it must be a random affix between certain levels of loot.
    Last edited by Deathdefy; 01-31-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast