Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Named Shurikens

Default Named Shurikens

Simply put, the only thing lacking about this spectacular weapon is the lack of named versions.

There are 2 quests where their additions would be both thematic, and allow us greedy sods to acquire more of these ranged miracles.

Monastary of the Scorpian (there are so many drow monks in this quest)
    Shuriken of Mockery - [1]w - shuriken mastery, poison (1d6 poison damage per hit)

House of Rusted Blades
    Drow Shuriken of the Weapon Master - [3]w +1 crit threat and multipler

Please make this happen feather!

Your best option for some decent shurikens are Eveningstar challenges. I'm pretty happy with this one, got it on first try.

Spelltouched property actually adds many different effects when it procs, I've seen anything from stat damage to spell effects like crushing despair etc. Wouldn't mind some named one myself, though.
    Active characters: Pssyche * Dredmor * Worley * Bundolo

Community Member

Not disagreeing with you, be really nice if there where more named options, BUT alchemical tossin star is available you might have overlooked it. With the changes coming to EiN it could double up as an EiN DC booster (tier 2 water +2 alchemical wis). with tier 3 adding AOE procs and larger + as well as red aug slot (with new changes that being 1d10 elemental damage) it could be an outstanding throwing item
    Reckter: 28 heroic, 3 iconic and 19 eic PLs, now a 17 art/3rog shadar-kai. Anhilliation: 3x wiz/sorc PLs, 13 epic PLs now a dwarf 17barb/3bard. . Vikzor: 2xfvs + 4x epic PL horc 19fvs 1 fighter. Rekter: 3x rog & 1 fighter + 4 epic PLs, h-orc 13 rogue 6 monk 1 druid. Veisha: 3x bard + 4 epic PLs, PDK 16 bard 4 fighter.

Talking

I've been waiting for almost eight months for people to realize that the Spelltouched throwing weaponry exists!

...I wonder how long it will take people to figure out what Spelltouched actually does?

Anyone able to figure the details out gets a gold star.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    I've been waiting for almost eight months for people to realize that the Spelltouched throwing weaponry exists!

...I wonder how long it will take people to figure out what Spelltouched actually does?

Double Rainbow in weapon form! That's my guess!
    ME BARB, ME SMA-ok I stand here with pretty blue lines around me. ok I take damage. ok bye.

Community Member

Yeah but come on feather , look at that base damage and crit profile !!!

Now i know that it's a shuriken and it shouldnt be powerful but it's a game and all weapons should be relevant in it ,
    Aleast in pnp it is , But you cant make stuff like that work like that in this game . The only option left is too boost the base and critt profile !!

Community Member

The game would be a lot better if all the variable classes and options were all balanced .

And i guess these weapons have shiradi's best ability for free on them !!! Even though the weapons them selves don't seem to great !

More of a reason to never be in shiradi on a ranged character when you can twist in there best abilities .

Any thing any ranged character gets as an ability will eventually be made available to any class . Wait i think i have a 7% chance that this post will actually mean something !!!!

2016 DDO Players Council LeoLionxxx's Avatar

Talking

'Spelltouched weaponry has been affected by the chaotic magic of the spellplauge and may have unpredictable effects'.

ooooooh!
    Because DDO content is created by hand, some issues cannot be fixed with a global change. We must fix these issues one-by-one by hand with the help of bug reports. This includes:
    Ladder issues: please include the /loc when reporting a ladder issue

Default The answer to Feather

the answer was in the post above you Feather.
    Quote Originally Posted by apaurin View Post
    Spelltouched property actually adds many different effects when it procs, I've seen anything from stat damage to spell effects like crushing despair etc. Wouldn't mind some named one myself, though.
    Now while I can't say more named shurikens, I will say a little more damage would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That ship has sailed, came back, sailed again, got raided by pirates, became a pirate ship, got cursed to chase after the Flying Dutchman for three centuries, got exorcised to fight in the American Civil War, then got modernized to fight in both World Wars, participated in the D-Day landing and is a decommissioned museum/restaurant now in Key West, Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    I knew i should have actually tested this.

spelltouched = awesome in disguise.

Level 16 Shuriken (I'm sure the other types with it work the exact same way) that randomly procs:
    Corrosive Salt
    Crushing Wave
    ..and other of like tier effects

Wondering if the level 20s include lighting strike and disintegration on their random list.

Other fun effects include shattermantle and other debuffs (I really should make a list sometime during my weekly Tor runs on Phut).

No offense, man, but it was on the forums 6 1/2 months ago:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Yea the darts and shurikens are actually quite nice.

But its not because of the imprv paralyzing.

Read the items description.. theres something much more interesting about this item that many players have missed. .. A secret effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Therrias View Post
    Apparently it can proc pretty much anything in the game.

Curse, destruction, crushing wave, magma surge, cacophony, improved shattermantle, d6 elemental damages...I'm sure there are lots more that I didn't notice yet.
    I assumed everyone knew about spelltouched throwers by now..maybe I was wrong. It's on the wiki, too, but it's not a huge page there, either.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfORCastrator View Post
    Double Rainbow in weapon form! That's my guess!
    That's my guess too, although I don't think I've ever proc'd any of the really weird Double Rainbow effects, like D-Door or a Companion from the Primal Avatar epic destiny. And I just spent a lot of time throwing that axe at Queen Lailat.

Community Member

There are two key problems with the spelltouched throwing weapons. First, they are throwing weapons, which is a problem due to their horrendous base stats and inherent bad-ness of ranged combat in DDO. Second, they are challenge reward turn ins from eveningstar. I know some people like them and all, but the whole spending hours/days grinding out mats to turn in for 1 item that is randomly rolled is not something that appeals to me, and I imagine I am not alone in that sentiment.

Honestly, the spelltouched weapon effect might be the single coolest thing in the game, but most people will never bother to get one because most of the player base uses a throwing weapon to hit kobolds that jump 15 feet up vertical walls, or to break explosive barrels. There is almost always a better alternative than a throwing weapon, and most people will at least try to make use of the best options that are available to them.

I guess what it all comes down to is one question: "why should I spend hours of my time grinding out enough mats to turn in for a sub-par throwing weapon that is randomly generated and has unknown, seemingly random properties?"

Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    First, they are throwing weapons, which is a problem due to their horrendous base stats and inherent bad-ness of ranged combat in DDO. Second, they are challenge reward turn ins from eveningstar.
    Yep.

Great post to demostrate a devs real connection the community.

Not only did I discover what spelltouched/spellplague weapon did and how it worked, I posted it on the wiki some 6-7 months ago. Also posted some notes on the forum regarding it as someone quoted.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Update_14_named_items

Some devotion to the game, doesn't even bother to pay attention to it's number one fan site.

Also we figured out the exact 100% way the effect works, as well as the full list of random enchantments on another forum, but I stopped working on the wiki some time back, so never updated to what it is exactly, the wiki descript was close enough anyways.

And yea it doesn't quite replicate double rainbow, as double rainbow you have a 7% to a bunch of effects, while spellplague will do one on every hit, and lacks the really rare/powerful shiradis effects in its list.

Not interested in the gold star.

This is one of the more creative and interesting item effects in the game, so it was nice to find it in what was otherwise a very bland/mostly useless system in the U14 challenges. Shame the U15, 16 and 17 loot is all very bland and lacking anything inventive like this though.
    Last edited by Shade; 01-28-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Some devotion to the game, doesn't even bother to pay attention to it's number one fan site.
    I'll have you know that Feather did stop by the number one fan site, and he told us how good he is at his job.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    There are two key problems with the spelltouched throwing weapons. First, they are throwing weapons, which is a problem due to their horrendous base stats and inherent bad-ness of ranged combat in DDO. Second, they are challenge reward turn ins from eveningstar. I know some people like them and all, but the whole spending hours/days grinding out mats to turn in for 1 item that is randomly rolled is not something that appeals to me, and I imagine I am not alone in that sentiment.

Honestly, the spelltouched weapon effect might be the single coolest thing in the game, but most people will never bother to get one because most of the player base uses a throwing weapon to hit kobolds that jump 15 feet up vertical walls, or to break explosive barrels. There is almost always a better alternative than a throwing weapon, and most people will at least try to make use of the best options that are available to them.

I guess what it all comes down to is one question: "why should I spend hours of my time grinding out enough mats to turn in for a sub-par throwing weapon that is randomly generated and has unknown, seemingly random properties?"
    This post pretty much touches on my feelings about both Thrown Weapons and the Eveningstar Challenge.

I'm hoping that with the "future" Enhancement changes that Thrown Weapons will get some kind of boost or at least the Halfling Racial Weapons improves greatly to make Thrown Weapons inherently better for them. However, with the bad base stats and limited named items coupled with limited uses that primarily consist of hitting a few levers and breaking barrels, I don't forsee any true improvements for Thrown Weapons. Heck, I'd love to see a named returning Thrown Weapon that does some AoE damage (even if very minor) so there's an alternative to breaking several barrels at once besides caster spells/SLA, Cacophonic Verge and Runearms.

As for the Eveningstar Challenges, I have to agree that the number of mats needed to create a totally random item was a horrible idea. I've said before that the only way I could see people grinding for a totally random weapon was if one of the tiers consisted of a random Epic [race/type] Bane with maybe a [race/type] Slayer effect, similar to the Epic Ancient Vulkoorim Dagger. With the Epic Bane and Slayer on the item even if the item is horrible mesh of effect, people might keep it handy for the trash mob of that particular type. Also there would be incentive to grind for that random DR breaker with Epic Bane and Slayer that work together. Unfortunately, it appears that the Devs don't want to introduce Epic Bane or Slayer effects into the game past that single dagger...even if we are several updates into Epic levels and quests.

Well Feather, I own a one a very nice Spelltouched Shuriken...

Greater Good
    Cold Iron
    Wounding
    Crushing Wave I think?
    + Random fun of Spelltouched.

Since this bypasses DR on the only Raid boss my Monk would ever chuck a Shuriken at, I'm extremely happy.

PS Spelltocuhed I've seen all sorts of weirdness with, but mainly additional random elemental damage applied per throw, including Force and Sonic I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstronglord View Post
    Up to this point we've all been beating around the bush. Lolth has a very small box in which you can hit her.

we know what spelltouched weapons do

we also know that everwood challenges are fail if only because of the btc mats/rewards (not mentioning 2 were closed recently, still are?)

Default Snowstar

The new lvl8 Snowstar Shuriken Is +4 returning Icy Burst with 8.63 Base Damage and a Crit range of 18-20/x2.
    Why doesn't the Spelltouched lvl 20 have either that base damage instead of 8.40 and a crit of 20/x2. Granted it has mega effects, but I am curious as to why a lvl 8 Shuriken has more base damage and expanded crit range when it isn't Keen & the lvl 20 Spelltouched doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That ship has sailed, came back, sailed again, got raided by pirates, became a pirate ship, got cursed to chase after the Flying Dutchman for three centuries, got exorcised to fight in the American Civil War, then got modernized to fight in both World Wars, participated in the D-Day landing and is a decommissioned museum/restaurant now in Key West, Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    I knew i should have actually tested this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast