Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Angry why VIP has to doublepay for epic destinies?

hi there,im a bard recently reached lvl20,and i've been paying monthly as VIP.but when i reached lv20,i cant claim any destiny at the fatespinner.some told me that maybe i need to purchase Epic Destinies(995TP),but i thought VIP got "unlimited access",why should i double pay for some game content? and i see no warning in VIP purchase descriptions!any1 explain this plz! thank u!

Community Member

in most mmos, everyone has to purchase expansions. epic destinies were released as part of an expansion. yes, you must pay (again)

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    in most mmos, everyone has to purchase expansions. epic destinies were released as part of an expansion. yes, you must pay (again)
    It was a cash grab that went against the original VIP sales pitch by Turbine.

There is essentially no difference between MOTU and any other previous update or mod (level increases, new enhancement systems, PrEs, new areas, etc, were all part of previous updates/mods).

To this date I haven't seen anyone who has been able to define the difference between "update" and "expansion".

Community Member

the difference is that you (everyone) had to pay for the expansion... duh.

the difference is that you (everyone) had to pay for the expansion... duh.
    Right, that's what makes it a dishonest business practice.

You get all new content free, um.... unless I decide to charge you for one update.

Community Member

Unhappy

thx for reply,though i thought i wont need to pay this,and i used up my TP in discounted greater tome of learning lol,they should have warned me....ill take U14 pack then,sigh....

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post

You get all new content free, um.... unless I decide to charge you for one update.
    oops,i am sending tickets to cancel my last order in which i used my TP for greater tome of learning and +2 to +3 tomes....
    i should have used my TP in Update14 bundle lol.

Community Member

Turbine disturbed my TP using plan by not making everything clear!

Default but

It was a cash grab that went against the original VIP sales pitch by Turbine.

There is essentially no difference between MOTU and any other previous update or mod (level increases, new enhancement systems, PrEs, new areas, etc, were all part of previous updates/mods).

To this date I haven't seen anyone who has been able to define the difference between "update" and "expansion".
    But surely you DID PURCHASE it as I did?
    I did get some silly little pet that does nothing really. Cool fluff I suppose.
    My toons got a really sick BLACK PANTHER hireling that is all kinds of VORPAL AWESOME.

I was able to level up my toons past 20, which I was unable to do for years!

I was also allotted
    4 NEW EXPLORER areas in a WHOLE NEW DIMENSION/UNIVERSE of CLASSIC D&D with NEW QUESTS & EQUIPMENT!

No one was forced to purchase the expansion, and I could have gone on blissfully playing the old content.

ALL SORTS OF AWESOME is in the expansion.
    If you are grown adult with a source of revenue....
    BUY IT!
    The One True Fighter/Wizard Father of the Alliance General Orcneas of ORC

http://darkside.guildportal.com http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=174849

This too angered me to learn that VIP does NOT mean what it says at all. I know people that are not VIP and get WAY more than I as a VIP do and think that is sick and wrong. I just don't feel like grinding like heck to get the billion points I need in order to unlock everything is why I went vip. This whole $9.00 VIP is also a lie as I looked ALL over and it is no where to be easily found and pay $14.

Quote Originally Posted by vampiregoat69 View Post
    This too angered me to learn that VIP does NOT mean what it says at all. I know people that are not VIP and get WAY more than I as a VIP do and think that is sick and wrong. I just don't feel like grinding like heck to get the billion points I need in order to unlock everything is why I went vip. This whole $9.00 VIP is also a lie as I looked ALL over and it is no where to be easily found and pay $14.
    The $9.00 VIP comes from buying a year subscription. Works out to the $9 per month even though the initial cost is much greater, but you're right in that you cannot go month to month VIP for $9. You need a longer commitment.
    Agro - Paryan, Pary, Parrii, Parriahh
    Bringers of Darkness

If you don't want to be VIP, don't be VIP. It's that simple.
    Persius, Equus, Maeric, Khaaldun, Robotcoupe
    The Exploration Society ~ Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Ed7 View Post
    But surely you DID PURCHASE it as I did?
    I did get some silly little pet that does nothing really. Cool fluff I suppose.
    My toons got a really sick BLACK PANTHER hireling that is all kinds of VORPAL AWESOME.

I was able to level up my toons past 20, which I was unable to do for years!

I was also allotted
    4 NEW EXPLORER areas in a WHOLE NEW DIMENSION/UNIVERSE of CLASSIC D&D with NEW QUESTS & EQUIPMENT!

No one was forced to purchase the expansion, and I could have gone on blissfully playing the old content.

ALL SORTS OF AWESOME is in the expansion.
    If you are grown adult with a source of revenue....
    BUY IT!
    Way to miss the point while throwing in a little passive aggressive attack on others at the same time.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

What "Way more" do they get pray tell? I have been all three play models, and I don't see anything people who aren't vip get 'more' of than a vip without spending the time grinding out turbine points(and it's a LONG grind) or paying for, and even then it's the 'same as' what vips get, except for the can open any difficulty on a first and second life toon. And we get more character slots for free than they do. And we get access to the new content before they do.

While I fully agree there are not a LOT of perks to being vip vs. premium, until all my toons have tr'd three times and can open whatever I want they'll keep getting money from me. That perk alone is worth it.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Default Whoa!

Way to miss the point while throwing in a little passive aggressive attack on others at the same time.
    whoa whoa whoa

How did I miss the point and HOW did I attack?
    Please reitterate the point so I may "get it" & PLEASE repost my "attack".

I think your time on the forums have made you a bit paranoid.

Also, you did not answer my question.
    Last edited by Mr_Ed7; 01-29-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    The One True Fighter/Wizard Father of the Alliance General Orcneas of ORC

http://darkside.guildportal.com http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=174849

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

VIPs have never gotten drow, Favored Souls, or Artificers for free; you have to unlock those via Favor or the DDO Store. Now you can add MotU and EDs to that list. Most other MMOs charge for expansion packs on top of the monthly fees; WOW & LOTRO both have four paid expansions each. Furthermore, if you waited for MotU to go on sale for half-price (which it's done at least twice), you could've bought the basic edition for $15, which gets you EDs as well; is that really such a big deal on top of the $9 - $15 per month you're paying for DDO as a VIP (depending on which subscription plan you went with)?

What is annoying is the way Turbine arbitrarily separated "free" vs "pay to unlock" content for VIPs with no rhyme or reason; e.g., why do VIPs get druids for free but not Artificers? [Drow & FvS are holdovers from the days when they could only be unlocked by Favor; so that's more like a legacy issue.] That's not to suggest I want them to put more content behind a pay-wall for VIPs, of course, just that I wish their rationale made sense.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    VIPs have never gotten drow, Favored Souls, or Artificers for free; you have to unlock those via Favor or the DDO Store. Now you can add MotU and EDs to that list. Most other MMOs charge for expansion packs on top of the monthly fees; WOW & LOTRO both have four paid expansions each. Furthermore, if you waited for MotU to go on sale for half-price (which it's done at least twice), you could've bought the basic edition for $15, which gets you EDs as well; is that really such a big deal on top of the $9 - $15 per month you're paying for DDO as a VIP (depending on which subscription plan you went with)?

What is annoying is the way Turbine arbitrarily separated "free" vs "pay to unlock" content for VIPs with no rhyme or reason; e.g., why do VIPs get druids for free but not Artificers? [Drow & FvS are holdovers from the days when they could only be unlocked by Favor; so that's more like a legacy issue.] That's not to suggest I want them to put more content behind a pay-wall for VIPs, of course, just that I wish their rationale made sense.
    well, im OK to pay for expansions as VIP,though I think they can avoid this unpleasant experiences by doing just like a little more: place a "free to VIPs" or "need to pay even u are a VIP" label on things in DDO store,so ppl will figure out how to use their money or TPs before throw them blindly.
    and Yes I KNOW THEY PUT IT IN THE AGREEMENT,but seriously do u read every word in the agreement in which u must click agree to play? Im here to play DDO,not to read some tedious texts! just MARK out what are the limitations to VIP's "unlimited access" and make us feel convenient!

All MMO's that have expansions charge for those including those where people bought lifetime subs its nothing new nor is it a suprise to anyone that has played any mmo that has had expansions. We arent double paying sheesh.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

I really dont understand how people dont see it. It was larger and more complex than other updates it added a new area it was clearly an expansion and I am happy with what I got for my money.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    I really dont understand how people dont see it. It was larger and more complex than other updates it added a new area it was clearly an expansion and I am happy with what I got for my money.
    MOTU was larger than GH or the Vale or Shav or even the Orchard? I don't think so.

The ED system was larger than the heroic enhancement system? I don't think so.

The new Epic loot mechanic was more complex and expansive than guild slots, the New New slot system, or cannith crafting? I don't think so.

The work in MOTU is comparable with the type of stuff that was "an update" or "a mod" in the past.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast