Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ShangHai
    Posts
    148

    Angry why VIP has to doublepay for epic destinies?

    hi there,im a bard recently reached lvl20,and i've been paying monthly as VIP.but when i reached lv20,i cant claim any destiny at the fatespinner.some told me that maybe i need to purchase Epic Destinies(995TP),but i thought VIP got "unlimited access",why should i double pay for some game content? and i see no warning in VIP purchase descriptions!any1 explain this plz! thank u!

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,995

    Default

    in most mmos, everyone has to purchase expansions. epic destinies were released as part of an expansion. yes, you must pay (again)

  3. #3
    Hero Gkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    in most mmos, everyone has to purchase expansions. epic destinies were released as part of an expansion. yes, you must pay (again)
    It was a cash grab that went against the original VIP sales pitch by Turbine.

    There is essentially no difference between MOTU and any other previous update or mod (level increases, new enhancement systems, PrEs, new areas, etc, were all part of previous updates/mods).

    To this date I haven't seen anyone who has been able to define the difference between "update" and "expansion".

  4. #4
    Community Member Mr_Ed7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,097

    Default but

    Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    It was a cash grab that went against the original VIP sales pitch by Turbine.

    There is essentially no difference between MOTU and any other previous update or mod (level increases, new enhancement systems, PrEs, new areas, etc, were all part of previous updates/mods).

    To this date I haven't seen anyone who has been able to define the difference between "update" and "expansion".
    But surely you DID PURCHASE it as I did?
    I did get some silly little pet that does nothing really. Cool fluff I suppose.
    My toons got a really sick BLACK PANTHER hireling that is all kinds of VORPAL AWESOME.

    I was able to level up my toons past 20, which I was unable to do for years!

    I was also allotted
    4 NEW EXPLORER areas in a WHOLE NEW DIMENSION/UNIVERSE of CLASSIC D&D with NEW QUESTS & EQUIPMENT!

    No one was forced to purchase the expansion, and I could have gone on blissfully playing the old content.

    ALL SORTS OF AWESOME is in the expansion.
    If you are grown adult with a source of revenue....
    BUY IT!
    The One True Fighter/Wizard Father of the Alliance General Orcneas of ORC

    http://darkside.guildportal.com http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=174849

  5. #5
    Hero Gkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Ed7 View Post
    But surely you DID PURCHASE it as I did?
    I did get some silly little pet that does nothing really. Cool fluff I suppose.
    My toons got a really sick BLACK PANTHER hireling that is all kinds of VORPAL AWESOME.

    I was able to level up my toons past 20, which I was unable to do for years!

    I was also allotted
    4 NEW EXPLORER areas in a WHOLE NEW DIMENSION/UNIVERSE of CLASSIC D&D with NEW QUESTS & EQUIPMENT!

    No one was forced to purchase the expansion, and I could have gone on blissfully playing the old content.

    ALL SORTS OF AWESOME is in the expansion.
    If you are grown adult with a source of revenue....
    BUY IT!
    Way to miss the point while throwing in a little passive aggressive attack on others at the same time.

  6. #6
    Community Member Mr_Ed7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,097

    Default Whoa!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    Way to miss the point while throwing in a little passive aggressive attack on others at the same time.
    whoa whoa whoa

    How did I miss the point and HOW did I attack?
    Please reitterate the point so I may "get it" & PLEASE repost my "attack".

    I think your time on the forums have made you a bit paranoid.

    Also, you did not answer my question.
    Last edited by Mr_Ed7; 01-29-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    The One True Fighter/Wizard Father of the Alliance General Orcneas of ORC

    http://darkside.guildportal.com http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=174849

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ShangHai
    Posts
    148

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    in most mmos, everyone has to purchase expansions. epic destinies were released as part of an expansion. yes, you must pay (again)
    thx for reply,though i thought i wont need to pay this,and i used up my TP in discounted greater tome of learning lol,they should have warned me....ill take U14 pack then,sigh....

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,995

    Default

    the difference is that you (everyone) had to pay for the expansion... duh.

  9. #9
    Hero Gkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    the difference is that you (everyone) had to pay for the expansion... duh.
    Right, that's what makes it a dishonest business practice.

    You get all new content free, um.... unless I decide to charge you for one update.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ShangHai
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    Right, that's what makes it a dishonest business practice.

    You get all new content free, um.... unless I decide to charge you for one update.
    oops,i am sending tickets to cancel my last order in which i used my TP for greater tome of learning and +2 to +3 tomes....
    i should have used my TP in Update14 bundle lol.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ShangHai
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    Right, that's what makes it a dishonest business practice.

    You get all new content free, um.... unless I decide to charge you for one update.
    Turbine disturbed my TP using plan by not making everything clear!

  12. #12
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    17,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    You get all new content free, um.... unless I decide to charge you for one update.
    VIPs have never gotten drow, Favored Souls, or Artificers for free; you have to unlock those via Favor or the DDO Store. Now you can add MotU and EDs to that list. Most other MMOs charge for expansion packs on top of the monthly fees; WOW & LOTRO both have four paid expansions each. Furthermore, if you waited for MotU to go on sale for half-price (which it's done at least twice), you could've bought the basic edition for $15, which gets you EDs as well; is that really such a big deal on top of the $9 - $15 per month you're paying for DDO as a VIP (depending on which subscription plan you went with)?

    What is annoying is the way Turbine arbitrarily separated "free" vs "pay to unlock" content for VIPs with no rhyme or reason; e.g., why do VIPs get druids for free but not Artificers? [Drow & FvS are holdovers from the days when they could only be unlocked by Favor; so that's more like a legacy issue.] That's not to suggest I want them to put more content behind a pay-wall for VIPs, of course, just that I wish their rationale made sense.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ShangHai
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    VIPs have never gotten drow, Favored Souls, or Artificers for free; you have to unlock those via Favor or the DDO Store. Now you can add MotU and EDs to that list. Most other MMOs charge for expansion packs on top of the monthly fees; WOW & LOTRO both have four paid expansions each. Furthermore, if you waited for MotU to go on sale for half-price (which it's done at least twice), you could've bought the basic edition for $15, which gets you EDs as well; is that really such a big deal on top of the $9 - $15 per month you're paying for DDO as a VIP (depending on which subscription plan you went with)?

    What is annoying is the way Turbine arbitrarily separated "free" vs "pay to unlock" content for VIPs with no rhyme or reason; e.g., why do VIPs get druids for free but not Artificers? [Drow & FvS are holdovers from the days when they could only be unlocked by Favor; so that's more like a legacy issue.] That's not to suggest I want them to put more content behind a pay-wall for VIPs, of course, just that I wish their rationale made sense.
    well, im OK to pay for expansions as VIP,though I think they can avoid this unpleasant experiences by doing just like a little more: place a "free to VIPs" or "need to pay even u are a VIP" label on things in DDO store,so ppl will figure out how to use their money or TPs before throw them blindly.
    and Yes I KNOW THEY PUT IT IN THE AGREEMENT,but seriously do u read every word in the agreement in which u must click agree to play? Im here to play DDO,not to read some tedious texts! just MARK out what are the limitations to VIP's "unlimited access" and make us feel convenient!

  14. #14
    Hero Gkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    VIPs have never gotten drow, Favored Souls, or Artificers for free; you have to unlock those via Favor or the DDO Store.
    They are free, you just need to earn them with favor. That was the deal way back in 2006 and it was clear in the initial VIP rules that people signed on to in 2009.

    MOTU and ED is different because there is no favor unlock to let you get it free.

  15. #15
    Community Member Limey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    393

    Default

    They need the extra money to keep the game bug and lag free.

  16. #16
    Hopeless Romantic dunklezhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Yorkshire Toxic Fringe Zone
    Posts
    6,274

    Default

    I agree it was certainly larger than any other update since F2P by an order of magnitude. There's about a year's worth of updates in that expansion. And I paid for it, and I enjoyed it.

    But I still think it was cheeky to charge VIPs for it, because when they went F2P (and even right back at game launch) they specifically advertised that VIPs would never pay more than their sub for all game content. They also said in their EULA and T&Cs that they can change whatever they want whenever they want so letter of the 'law' such as it is - they are covered.

    It doesn't make it 'right' to go back on a promise, hence my view that it's cheeky. But like I said - I'm VIP, I paid for it, I am enjoying it, and I don't regret the purchase. Plus if I cancel my VIP sub I'll still have it. And we ARE always saying we want the opportunity to buy packs while paying a sub so... y'know, whatever.

    Worth noting that since it happened after WB though, I smell the "replacement" marketing department at work here. Don't be *too* ****ed at Turbine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ShangHai
    Posts
    148

    Smile

    well,a kind Account Management Agent have replied my ticket and refunded the Turbine Points for the first Tome of Learning to my account balance. they really worked with efficiency,and THANK YOU,Toffre!

    So I have nothing to complain now, and will enjoy my game now~ hope that DDO will keep up and go better,always willing to pay if the expansion worthed it~

  18. #18
    Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Behind you with a claw hammer
    Posts
    25,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    Right, that's what makes it a dishonest business practice.

    You get all new content free, um.... unless I decide to charge you for one update.
    I really dont understand how people dont see it. It was larger and more complex than other updates it added a new area it was clearly an expansion and I am happy with what I got for my money.


    Beware the Sleepeater

  19. #19
    Hero Gkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    I really dont understand how people dont see it. It was larger and more complex than other updates it added a new area it was clearly an expansion and I am happy with what I got for my money.
    MOTU was larger than GH or the Vale or Shav or even the Orchard? I don't think so.

    The ED system was larger than the heroic enhancement system? I don't think so.

    The new Epic loot mechanic was more complex and expansive than guild slots, the New New slot system, or cannith crafting? I don't think so.

    The work in MOTU is comparable with the type of stuff that was "an update" or "a mod" in the past.

  20. #20
    Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    work....
    Posts
    30,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    MOTU was larger than GH or the Vale or Shav or even the Orchard? I don't think so.
    It is.
    Underdark, Schindig, Kings Forest, Demon web. 4 adventure regions.
    Eveningstar (town/house/city)
    4 (evening star, counting cross over), 3 (king forest), 2? (underdark), 4 (shindig), 3 (demon web), 1 raid.

    None of those you listed can come close to the amount of work necessary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    The ED system was larger than the heroic enhancement system? I don't think so.
    Again, wrong. The HE system has a lot of resuse across the classes. the ED system has a lot less similar crossover, let alone offers several new styles of attacks and buffs. The only reuse would be +1 stat bonus.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    The new Epic loot mechanic was more complex and expansive than guild slots, the New New slot system, or cannith crafting? I don't think so.
    This is a red harring as you can not compare definitive creation of multi leveled loot to any of theses. At closest it would be comparable to cannith trade ins or crystal cove trade ins. But in addition to this, you have to add in the non level varian drops as well. I want to say Cannith got broken up into Challenges and Quests, not one unit in total in the store. I could very well be wrong on that, however as I forget.

    The work in MOTU is comparable with the type of stuff that was "an update" or "a mod" in the past.[/QUOTE]
    If you refer to stuff as in "style" sure. It is very easy to see similarities. Amount? You are way off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload