Hybrid View

Community Member

Default Greensteel weapons for Wizards

Hi all,

I'm contemplating which way to go (or even if I should) crafting Green Steel weapons for my Wizard.

I'm leaning toward crafting glaciation and nullification daggers.

My question is do those "percentage" bonuses stack with other spell power enhancements (The idea being to have a nullification GS dagger + nullification +84 spell power scepter)

They appear to be different enhancements so I'd expect them to stack.

Otherwise I'll probably build a full INT item and swap the other hand with the appropriate enhancement weapon.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

I should state I intend these items to be used at high level (from 18-23-ish). I'm not planning a TR of my Wizard anytime soon.

Thanks!

I am going with con-op cause weapons from estar are comparable or better than gs weaps IMO so why not help out that blue bar a little unless you have a torc

Greensteel caster sticks aren't worth it for endgame, though they're quite nice for leveling. They just don't offer anywhere near enough spell power, and it doesn't stack.

The +1/+2 exceptional/insightful will be super easy to slot once U17 goes live, so even that won't have value anymore. But getting the +1/+2 at level 12 while TRing is quite nice.

The only old-school crafted caster sticks still worth anything at endgame are alchemicals, with their arcane augmentation IX. (Greater Spell Pen IX isn't needed from alchemical anymore with the introduction of multiple ways to slot it in U17: robe, belt or cloak.)

Community Member

Yeah, I already have a con-op item (HP based) and an SP item in the winds.

I'm just interested in the utility of adding a weapon to the mix for this discussion.

If the elemental damages don't stack, I probably won't bother.

For leveling it really is hard to beat GS stuff at levels 11-18.

If there is some value 18-23, I'd probably still do it as my Wizard is part of a static group that levels slowly.

But if Ellis is correct, it sounds like I'm just as well off finding a well-match casting stick and not wasting the time on GS crafting a wizard tool.
    Last edited by Melfsmite; 01-27-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Community Member

A pure negative +1 / +2 int weapon is only 2 LDSs, and will serve you extremely well if you decide to TR, and also until you get those stats slotted elsewhere. Mine has served me brilliantly for 3 Wizard lives. Conc oops and pure earth HP are also good to have.

Sketchy Adventurer aradelothion's Avatar

The +1/+2 int weapons are ok until you get your ToD/Demonweb stuff, since you cant get those off commendation turn ins. If you already have an Epic spyglass though, I say don't bother, as those come with +2 Insightful and you can slot +1 Exceptional.
    Asmodeux | Carollous Magnus | Angeleus Dei | Solkanaar | Damodarius
    P I N O Y
    In my world, everyone's a pony, and we all eat rainbows and pewp butterfiles... of death.

An enervation +9 Int stick will serve you very well over future lives if you intend to TR much. (Edit: Enervation is way better than --- post MotU as you can actually hit with it if you swing it so the difference in procs matters, I'm considering recrafting my --- into Ash for this reason).

If not, don't bother. Focus on greensteel accessories - Enervation Guard, Concordant Opposition or Mineral (depending upon the rest of your gearset) with HP, SP or (much less common but still worth considering) +3 exceptional Reflex save.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

For endgame, there's little point in building a shroud weapon for constant use (it's nice to have a triple water weapon for ToD tanking though): Insightful int +3 comes on spidersilk robes and eclipses insightful +2 on your weapon, and exceptional +1 can be slotted in almost any old epic item.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Community Member

Default I would not bother with weapons

You would be better off to invest in your crafting. You can craft some pretty nice setup gear for the TR'd caster.

I would not waste GS mats on any weapon for a caster, except perhaps a conc opp one hander that i can use to smack stuff as well. But even that is not worth the mats. Especially considering its only TR gear. You really don' t need it better off hitting the AH and keeping an eye on random loot that drops for you.

Sirgog says an INT +9 stick. I also think this is a luxury not needed to TR. Fine if you have a pile of mats you don't think you will ever use. But not a required item by any means in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Melfsmite View Post
    Hi all,

I'm contemplating which way to go (or even if I should) crafting Green Steel weapons for my Wizard.

My question is do those "percentage" bonuses stack with other spell power enhancements (The idea being to have a nullification GS dagger + nullification +84 spell power scepter)

Otherwise I'll probably build a full INT item and swap the other hand with the appropriate enhancement weapon.

I should state I intend these items to be used at high level (from 18-23-ish). I'm not planning a TR of my Wizard anytime soon.

Thanks!
    RTFM on Khyber

Depends on your play style.

To the Torc and Concord/opp people...

Concord/Opp accessory and weapon stack (at least they used to).

To the guy that said if you have a Torc, don't bother with concord opp...
    actually it is the opposite.

If you have 3 forms of it (Torc, access and weapon) that is where you can turtle up and refill in about a minute with a room full of archers.

If you ONLY have torc, it is way harder to do.

Lemme name some green steel WEAPONS that will serve your WIZ really well...

Lightning Absorb Stick
    Cold Absorb Stick
    Fire Absorb Stick
    A Triple Pos (just for a raise clicky)

Heck, just take those to Tier 2...they help a lot.

Green Steel Accessory

HP item
    SP item (a lot of people have this with CHR skills on it also...haste guard is meh...+6CHR skills is nice though)

Effect...Concord opp
    Enervation (if you do epics a lot)
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

For a wizard leveling weapon, I'd vote for a
    T1: water, glaciation
    T2: fire, +1 int
    T2: effect: tempered, +10 concentration (some useless other stuff)
    T3: negative, +2 int

This lets your GS stick give you a +5 implement bonus, depending on what you have in your other hand, you may be missing it. It also provides a reasonable source of glaciation.
    The T2 effect give you +10 concentration, if you weren't slotting it elsewhere.

And he T3 +2 int negative seems to be the cheapest in LDS, though the fire +2 int is fine to.

Community Member

Thanks for all the enlightening responses.

Since I have a GS blank dagger in stock, I think I may just go double positive with it and make it a "raise" clicky. I have some pretty nice casting sticks and if the element bonus doesn't stack, nothing else looks inviting.

I have an epic Spyglass (not slotted yet, but still has the exceptional int) -- so the full int item is less appealing.

I already have a Con-op HP item done.

I'll save the 2 LDS's I have in stock to put toward an SP item -- still a few more to go.

I do think the shroud grind time may be better spent in building a few more crafting levels.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Melfsmite View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    My suggestion to you is to look to Cannith challenge items for elemental damage and maybe something like skiver (in u17) for say nullification. Partly because you can make a more powerful item for it's level (Cannith challenge fully upgraded) but also because skiver can grow with your needs. You can keep on increasing it's spell power as you level.

For GS I generally make all immunity items (not as useful now), all HP and con op.

For my caster I used a con op cloak adding gobs of SP and as a scepter I did a con op with strength for tier 1 and the rest heal amp. The cool thing about that was that together with torc I got so much SP back that I never ran dry.

Community Member

i have made two daggers for my sorc -

trip water - cold absorption
    trip pos - 3t healing amp/raise clickie

Usually leave the trip pos one equipped in my off hand as the healing amp comes in handy.
    boo-tai jung-tzahng-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We love fansites!
    <*cough*B.S.*cough*>
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post
    There will be bugs!