Default A proposed change to "Prefer not to be the leader."

(Edit: See post 14. The current question I ask is, "What is the best way for players to find leaders to lead content they wish to run?")

Original Post:

All too often, I find that whenever I check the "Prefer not to be the party leader" option, it gets ignored every single time. It's like people don't care whether or not people are capable of leading for some reason, and I hate leading groups due to my lack of confidence and lack of faith in what we can do. Therefore, I propose that the "Prefer not to be the leader" option in entering a dungeon should be changes, those of which should be:

- When another player joins the group, that player will automatically be the leader if he does not have a preference not to be the leader of the group. Any LFG windows that were previously open for the group will not close, and will instead transfer to the other player that joined and meets the criteria, making it a seamless transition. If that player prefers not to be the party leader, the original LFG owner will still be the leader until a suitable leader is found. If nobody is found, the leader does not change. (Although I would propose it would be a random person, I get the feeling it would be more trouble than it's worth.)

- Get rid of the "XXXXXX prefers not to be the leader" description when you hover your mouse over the LFG and replace it with something more suitable that is graphical and easy to recognize. Probably the best way to go about this is to add the icon for a player looking for a group (Since that is usually obsolete and doesn't work well, if at all) next to the person's name. While it can be added to the classes list, with so many classes available, it can easily get lost or overlooked.

Hopefully these changes will make it worthwhile for those who truly do not wish to lead content to have someone more able in leadership, especially for high-level content.
    Last edited by knightgf; 01-26-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    Here's a riddle for you: What do you call people who play the game for only a day and apparently know everything?

So, you want to trick the next player who joins into being the party leader? Do you really think that people who didn't start their own group want to lead yours?

No, thanks.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

I don't believe it needs changing.

It's a preference, not a demand for everyone else who joins the group.
    Sarkiki - Orexis - Pallikaria - Epithymia - Musouka - Empnefsi | Cannith Server

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

So, why is it so much important who got star?
    Having star don't got absolutely anything to do with leading.

Horribad idea.

So no one can be the 1st person to join your group without becoming the leader? lol

Talking

whatever happened to "pass the star" game? its like "no whammy! no whammy! no whammy! STOP!" getting the star was like getting the plague.

I do start my own LFMs often, but I certainly do not join LFMs that have the prefer not to be leader option selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    So, why is it so much important who got star?
    Having star don't got absolutely anything to do with leading.
    I DARE you to say that while in a group for elite Caught in the Web or some other activity that requires great teamwork in order to have a chance at success. Believe me, having the star makes it clear who leads and gives directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Musouka View Post
    I do start my own LFMs often, but I certainly do not join LFMs that have the prefer not to be leader option selected.
    And why not? It would be interesting to hear why.

Quote Originally Posted by Musouka View Post
    I don't believe it needs changing.

It's a preference, not a demand for everyone else who joins the group.
    And? Some people don't care about leading stuff. Others do. Thats why they can prefer to defer the star.
    Last edited by knightgf; 01-25-2013 at 11:43 PM.
    Here's a riddle for you: What do you call people who play the game for only a day and apparently know everything?

Back in the old days, you just wrote "need guide" in the comments. Personally, I respond better to "need guide" than "you come lead my group."

To me, when I see "Prefer not to be the leader" in an LFM, I pass. Fair or unfair, to me it means one of several things:

1) The player wants to pike.
    2) The player wants a completion for that quest without making the effort to learn it.
    3) The player isn't willing to try the quest on a lower difficulty and figure it out on their own.
    4) The player wants someone else to do all the hard stuff because they are likely to die.

Practically, if I join the group and also don't want to lead, it means the party is likely to be wandering around, blowing up or walking into traps or getting lost in the wilderness. Likely there will be drama where people accuse others of "not helping" or "zerging" or whatnot. If it completes, the "no-leader" group will suggest other quests but no one will make a decision until people drop.

In a nutshell, "I don't want to lead" says to me "I'm a gimp but I want to do this quest NOW and someone should come show me how."

I'd rather join a group with someone who is willing to take responsibility and make decisions, however minor they might be.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Hahahaha, leads me to think of a group where the first person to join and becomes leader, kicks out the group's founder.
    That which does not kill you gives you experience points.

(Fighter->Fighter->Fighter->Monk->Monk->Barbarian->Paladin->Ranger)

i run away from that lfm, personally i would remove it

i prefer 1 gajillion times to step in a lfm and then the guy says "anyone knows well the quest?" than joining a lfm with "XXXX prefer not to be the leader" or lfm which description says "need opener, guide, etc"

dunno why, but in 2nd situation i think they should be doing a lower diff XD
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

The best reason to stay away from prefer not to lead groups is that it means they're using public grouping which means that

They needed a guide but didn't wait

They're using public grouping so if it's one of the rare quests that needs guiding it probably needs at least one specific toon for evasion or something

They're using public grouping so the level ranges will be off and you won't get bb bonuses and you may end up running with -xp from someone being overlevel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Hahahaha, leads me to think of a group where the first person to join and becomes leader, kicks out the group's founder.
    Sounds like a decent idea. If someone is inclined enough to put the LFM up, but selects would not like to be leader, I will join take the star and boot them.

I am quite baffled with some of the responses. Frankly, I am surprised that there isn't any more opposition to this idea than there is now.

Ok then, let me ask a question: "What is the best way for players to find leaders to lead content they wish to run?" Clearly, it seems that a button that says, "Prefers not to be the leader" is not in favor, according to what I've read. And I can't think of anything, save for a tip on a loading screen or even the occasional recurring pop-up on the side.

I dont read more into "prefer not be leader" lfms. It tells me the person either doesnt know the quest or doesnt want to lead the group. Either way, the guy that puts up this type of lfm wants to run the quest, just wants someone else to lead it. He is sparking interest in the community to join and run the quest. I would join an lfm like that just as easily as any other lfm.

Quote Originally Posted by knightgf View Post
    Ok then, let me ask a question: "What is the best way for players to find leaders to lead content they wish to run?"
    A strong guild (or friends) should help you out with these kinds of situations. Unfortunately I can't offer any good advice on how to find such a guild.

As a secondary option if you need to look for random people to help you out, as mentioned the "need guide" might work. But don't set the difficulty to Elite or people will think you'll be piking for favor/xp.

I can't really explain why but I've avoided the public grouping feature (both using and joining) since the first day it started. Something about it just turns me off.
    Orien Player: Semirasai, ~3~ L28 Drow Wizard :: Kaethe, ~5~ L13 Halfling Barb/Bard/Rog :: Esthera, ~2~ L26 Human Favored Soul
    Sophiae, L20 Drow Bard :: Kitarina, L20 Half-Orc Fighter :: Aadia, L20 Half-Elf Sorcerer :: Olesia, ~2~ L15 Sun Elf Cleric/Monk