Community Member

Default upgrading Skill bonus feats

i don't think anyone takes these, player much rather take skill focus feats or combat casting, which means the feats needs a boost
    i suggest adding minor effects

Acrobatic- -1 damage from physical damage, or +1% to dodge
    Alertness- -1 damage from sneak attack damage receive, or +1 to sneak attack
    Athletic- +1 reflex against traps
    Negotiator- reduce cool down by 2 secs for diplo, intimidate and bluff
    Nimble Fingers- +10% faster disabling or opening, or (int or dex mod)% chance to not consume tools
    Self Sufficient- no item required when stabilizing
    Stealthy- +5% move when in sneak mode

well that all i have for now, ty in advance for your 2 copper

Quote Originally Posted by 1jazzz View Post
    i don't think anyone takes these, player much rather take skill focus feats or combat casting, which means the feats needs a boost
    i suggest adding minor effects

Acrobatic- -1 damage from physical damage, or +1% to dodge
    Alertness- -1 damage from sneak attack damage receive, or +1 to sneak attack
    Athletic- +1 reflex against traps
    Negotiator- reduce cool down by 2 secs for diplo, intimidate and bluff
    Nimble Fingers- +10% faster disabling or opening, or (int or dex mod)% chance to not consume tools
    Self Sufficient- no item required when stabilizing
    Stealthy- +5% move when in sneak mode

well that all i have for now, ty in advance for your 2 copper
    no, no one take them either the problem is there not enough uses for skills to justify taking them over say quicken or power attack

even with this change no one would take them -minus mabye nimble fingers and stealthy MAYBE negotiator for the odd tank

Community Member

Well its definitely an improvement over their current function, but I think you're just turning fluff into also-fluff. I dont see anyone taking them over a more practical feat, even on a pure fighter human with feats up the wazoo...

The problem is one of game design: if players only have X feat slots to fill, then there is only a certain number of feats that are useful for at least one viable build. There's a hypothetical maximum to how many skills you can make available, before some of them become undesirable in all situations. DDO obviously has more feats available than it needs.

The only two solutions to this problem create a bigger problem than they solve...you can either give people more feat choices, which of course leads to power inflation and unbalancing, or you can make the "fluff" feats more powerful...but if you improve a fluff feat enough to make it worthwhile, you usually just end up condemning the feat it replaces to the "fluff" category, and you also cause power inflation.

Or you can require them as prereqs for more desirable skills (see: Combat Expertise), but that generally just ****es people off since it makes them "waste" a feat slot.

I'd honestly support just removing them entirely than trying to improve them, until you were to introduce a new class with a new playstyle (not Melee, Ranged, Caster, or Buffer/Utility) that would support different feat strategies.

Community Member

i do agree it's still lacking, coming from PnP background i'd like to see some of these incorporated into PrE prerequisites.

maybe they'll add these to the upcoming tactical feats prerequisite, lol

flame shields on !!!

/signed on the general idea, but not on the specific proposition. I think those feats should not deal with combat numbers at all. Stealthy giving more stealth movement is a good idea. Nimble Fingers cutting down time for disabling/unlocking is also good.

Self Sufficient could be merged with Diehard. Both are lackuster feats, and even combined, I doubt they'll be taken by a lot of people.

Negotiatior could add more social skills on the bonus bucket (Haggle, Bluff, Diplomacy, Perform?), except by intimidate (for that we have Bullheaded).

Alertness could work as a permanent "Detect Secret Door". It is a very common clickie, True Seeing is common on the second half of the game, and is mostly buying convenience. The bonus to spot/listen will still be useful to catch hidden enemies.

Acrobatic and Athletic I can't imagine anything non-combat related to help them.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1jazzz View Post
    i do agree it's still lacking, coming from PnP background i'd like to see some of these incorporated into PrE prerequisites.

maybe they'll add these to the upcoming tactical feats prerequisite, lol

flame shields on !!!
    Hi,

Not to flame, but I'm not sure why you think it's a good idea for players to be forced to take bad feats to qualify for PREs.

The feats mentioned in the OP are generally not worth taking because of their marginal usefulness. Forcing people to take them is not fixing a problem, it's creating another even worse problem instead.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Hi,

Not to flame, but I'm not sure why you think it's a good idea for players to be forced to take bad feats to qualify for PREs.

The feats mentioned in the OP are generally not worth taking because of their marginal usefulness. Forcing people to take them is not fixing a problem, it's creating another even worse problem instead.

Thanks.
    Agreed, unless the PrE/advanced feat is so awesome that they want to require you to "spend" two feat slots to get it...but I doubt they're adding anything that attractive.

Skill Focus: UMD I find handy for a first life artificer.

Leave them as they are, but since no one takes them in preference to a more useful feat, let's add these "not worth a feat slot" feats to certain classes/races as freebies at certain levels.

Example -
    Acrobat feat is an auto-granted feat at level 6 or 7 or whatever for a rogue that takes the acrobat PrE.
    Athletic is auto-granted for Rangers and/or Barbs at a certain level.

Etc.