Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by slimkj View Post
    Except that crappy formula ignores the fact that people get sick of the grind and leave out of resentment.
    Correct.

That proposed formula misses the critical aspect of satisfaction with the game.

It is actually more like...

Time to Get Item = Constant / New Content Required

Constant / Time to Get Item = Player Satisfaction with feeling of progression occuring
    Time to Get Item / Constant = Player Satisfaction with feeling of actually being rewarded for gameplay and things not being 'trivial'

Now the key is to maximize the satisfaction that players feel while also minimizing the amount of new content being required. This requires some consideration of how valuable player satisfaction is compared to cost of new content. These things would be modeled by actual survey of players to find the real constants (or logarithmic function that occurs here instead of simple divisions which is of course too simple) with proper weighting factors put in based upon the actual player satisfaction numbers to revenue and new content to cost numbers.

If you do this sort of thing correctly you end up maximizing returns. Good companies do this sort of thing whenever considering important decisions which require non trivial investments (ie new content).
    Last edited by Cyr; 03-05-2013 at 10:11 AM.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Default BtC

Quote Originally Posted by Cyr View Post
    That proposed formula misses the critical aspect of satisfaction with the game.
    Apparently, this thread was posted on Lamannia about the Crystal Cove - something not readily apparent when you do searches BTW! (Neither of which were directly mentioned in the post itself.) And, the items there are not BtC there, but BtA with the exception of the new Rum item, which is a fairly powerful item for those without UMD or healing ability.

But, as a general principle, I agree about satisfaction here. BtC is find on items you'll be wearing at cap and a few other really powerful items. However, all the new low level BtC junk is insane in terms of "satisfaction" in the broader sense. It's a total waste of time to "grind" for something you'll only use for a few lower levels (if that), which translates to only a few hours play time. So, if a player won't grind for it because of the time waste, it they probably won't want it wasting their bank space. So, it's not "working" from the purpose of having a grind and all it does is frustrate otherwise satisfied players (i.e., making them more unsatisfied). Eventually, unsatisfied people do leave. Ergo, it's not wise for the devs, but bad to have all this lower level stuff BtC.
    Yehediah (Dwarf Cleric), Zeddek (Human Favored Soul)
    Mezros (Drow Bard), Fieris (Drow Wizard)
    Freibo (Halfling Rogue)

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    That's true. I agree that it makes for a less fun game. Unfortunately, more people stay because of grind than leave because of grind. It's a very, very sad truth.
    that's because more ppl play to have fun than for having everything ingame

grind a bit today, a bit tomorrow, and so... you have game for a while! better than leaving because you have everything
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    you have game for a while! better than leaving because you have everything
    Simple but true !
    Succubus pretty ... too bad she try to kill us
    Lewela FvS (5th life)-Aezechiel Sorc (3rd life)-Usuldur Monk (5th life)-Larsenkarden Cleric (2nd life)-Punkcanard Eva-Artie (2nd life)-Kakophonyc Virtuoso/Fighter
    Le Dernier Chapitre ///// Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrkGrismer View Post
    I mean really.

WHY?
    A new answer to this question now; so you can sell the unlocking solution for AS(/TP).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slimkj View Post
    A new answer to this question now; so you can sell the unlocking solution for AS(/TP).
    Almost there.

It looks like the ASAH will only allow you to sell bound BtCoE items tho, not BtC items.

But we will see...

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Quote Originally Posted by sudzz View Post
    Actually the rune arm is BTA on equip, not BTC :-)
    You're right, it is. Nice!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345