Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 87
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,822

    Default Why BtC? Why? Why? Why?

    I mean really.

    WHY?

    Were you guys not able to become dentists but still feel you must inflict pain on the general populace?

    tl;dr; whatever; Me no like.


    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

  2. #2
    Community Member Vellrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Posts
    6,711

    Default

    Because they cannot or don't want to do something 100% good.

  3. #3
    Hero Gkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,184

    Default

    Because they missed the point about why a lot of the original Cove gear was good to begin with.

  4. #4
    Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Krelar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Because they cannot or don't want to do something 100% good.
    That would violate their alignment.

  5. #5

    Default

    Because that's why you can't have nice things.

    The BTC monkey in the basement got hold of it and the conspiracy gnome see another personal bank increase in the future.

  6. #6
    Community Member btolson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    456

    Default

    I don't get it either. It's becoming increasingly attractive to TR the same char over and over for free rather than buy additional character slots/tomes of learning/etc: saves on money and grind.

  7. #7
    Community Member fco-karatekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrkGrismer View Post
    I mean really.

    WHY?

    Were you guys not able to become dentists but still feel you must inflict pain on the general populace?

    tl;dr; whatever; Me no like.
    Feather of Sun early in his career



    edit: fixed img vs. url
    Last edited by fco-karatekid; 01-25-2013 at 02:05 PM.

  8. #8
    Community Member UurlockYgmeov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere on the waters of this planet.
    Posts
    4,734

    Default

    a savvy player who is TRing repeatidly the same character plans their TR's around the gear as much as anything. Things like Endless Flask of Rum - (Heal + Restoration) in a clickie - work for just about any build. If you have too much junk - then well, time for spring cleaning and a fire sale.

    I like BtA better - but I know that BtC is a fact of life.

    I can also see a new item in the store for 150 TP - something that makes a BtC item BtA for one hour.

  9. #9
    Community Member Draxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    291

    Default

    I don't mind it, personally. But I'm not an alt-o-holic. At least the ingredients are BtA, right? So just farm with your easy button character and transfer the mats to whomever you want to end up with the loot.

  10. #10
    Community Member Persiflage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    601

    Default

    That's a horrendous change; an absolutely terrible idea, particularly for the <L20 loot. If I can't use it on multiple characters as they pass variously through a particular level range, I won't waste my time on it. The entire point of the Cove gear, for me, is that you can pass it around from toon to toon; something I do all the time.

    I was an avid Cove runner - notorious for it in some circles, in fact - but this pretty much kills the event for me. If, for instance, a L12 item I might have made one of to Tier III is now BtC instead of BtA, I'm not going to make multiples of them for up-and-coming toons, I'm going to make none at all, because the result of the cost/benefit equation just took a nose-dive. How does that help anyone?

    The best loot in CC was always the best because it was useful to multiple toons, not because it was best-in-slot. Given the number of runs it takes to fully upgrade an item, my give-a-damn factor with regard to Crystal Cove just plummeted close to zero.
    Crime in multi-storey car parks: it's wrong on so many levels.

  11. #11
    The Hatchery danotmano1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The rainy side of earth
    Posts
    4,199

    Default

    So, they changed all the cove stuff to BTC?

    Why on earth would they do that when they KNOW the reason the cove was so awesome was that you COULD pass stuff?
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    63

    Angry What about existing CC Equip

    So when a DEV finally gets around to answering this, IF this gets ported to the live environment is the existing CC equipment going to be automatically updated to BTC as well? I (and I'm sure others) need to know as currently non of my toons are at a level (either too low or two high) to use most the CC stuff I have from prior events and all my CC gear is on a bank toon currently, I would really hate for it to get stuck there permanently on patch day.

    I'm a VIP, spent way too much money on TP over christmas as I was TRing/soloing, and a I have 3 more toons I want to run through a TR this spring, and honestly a change like this would force me to reconsider a lot of plans.

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btolson View Post
    I don't get it either. It's becoming increasingly attractive to TR the same char over and over for free rather than buy additional character slots/tomes of learning/etc: saves on money and grind.
    And you'd be crazy to now go and buy more slots in the Shared Bank.

  14. #14
    Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council
    TrinityTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Findlay, OH
    Posts
    3,155

    Default

    BTC is rooted in the dev's responsibility to their bosses to keep us playing, and that mechanism for mmo's is grinding. I also would worry that if they ever did take btc out, which I kinda doubt for the previous purpose, it would result in a less friendly sharing of loot (which really does happen, and often, just people aren't motivated to come to the forum to write about like they are when there is unpleasant loot drama).

    And in some things it makes sense, like commendatins. If I do something awesome for bob, my friend andy can't cash in on bob's good feelings for me, or unrelated dude over there who heard about it. So if Turtel earns the commendation, which in the game world is a sort of 'job well done' head nod, so my toon Turtley can't cash in on it.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

    Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

  15. #15
    Community Member Miow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,408

    Default

    Well there's a stick in the eye if i've ever seen one

  16. #16
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,180

    Default

    wait so all of the loot is btc now? I can see if it was a fully upgraded lvl24 item, but binding anything below that is just ****ed up. One of the key reasons to run crystal cove was the fact that they were bta items.

  17. #17
    2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,643

    Default

    Stop jumping on high horses.

    Only the new items seems to be BtC. All the rest is still BtA.

    I just checked and the box says the items are BtA...
    I just checked and my BtA Cove items are still BtA....

    Seems most have understood that BtC was wrong and changing BtA to BtC was a killer. ( remember they tried it on the Cove Items at least once )
    We still need to teach those that didn't understand the previous times though.
    Last edited by Flavilandile; 01-25-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

  18. #18
    Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Hafeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    at a keyboard
    Posts
    5,577

    Default Not so much

    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    BTC is rooted in the dev's responsibility to their bosses to keep us playing, and that mechanism for mmo's is grinding. I also would worry that if they ever did take btc out, which I kinda doubt for the previous purpose, it would result in a less friendly sharing of loot (which really does happen, and often, just people aren't motivated to come to the forum to write about like they are when there is unpleasant loot drama).

    And in some things it makes sense, like commendatins. If I do something awesome for bob, my friend andy can't cash in on bob's good feelings for me, or unrelated dude over there who heard about it. So if Turtel earns the commendation, which in the game world is a sort of 'job well done' head nod, so my toon Turtley can't cash in on it.
    I disagree. BtC AND BtA are horrible mechanics that discourage players and gimp the economy. They should not be used except for *maybe* raid loot, but that is for a different discussion thread. As BtA and BtC are used now, the drop rates for certain items and loot should be dramatically increased and the grind to make items (like Mabar loot) should be significantly lowered.

    DDO does not need more grinds, it needs less, to attract and retain players - especially casual, non-powergamers, imo. Add on that the way they have used the Store, they are hurting themselves with BtC, as prior posters have mentioned - and I just have to laugh.

    When you make fun content that people want to run, I find people share in the loot - because they run and re-run quests and have what they need. There are always going to be a few loot jerks. Put 'em on the list.

    Overall, making more items available for sharing and trade is good for players and guilds and is a boost for a healthy game economy.
    Last edited by Hafeal; 01-25-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

  19. #19
    Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Hafeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    at a keyboard
    Posts
    5,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    Only the new items seems to be BtC. All the rest is still BtA.
    But if you need to upgrade your Tier I to Tier II - my guess is that it will change its status. Seems to me they did that before too, I just can't recall, atm, what it was for ...

    So, sure, if you have your items and they are done, great, you get 'grandfathered' in. Quite the 'unfortunate' turn of events for all the players who have never seen Cove (what's it been? 8 months?) or you happened to miss it ... So for new players and players who had limited exposure to it last year and could not finish their gear, this could be very bad.
    Last edited by Hafeal; 01-25-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

  20. #20
    2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hafeal View Post
    But if you need to upgrade your Tier I to Tier II - my guess is that it will change its status. Seems to me they did that before too, I just can't recall, atm, what it was for ...
    It's not mentioned in the upgrade text. So I suppose ( and hope ) it doesn't change anything.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload