Thread: Faerun

Default Faerun

Having played AD&D for many years I have to say that I've developed a fondness for the land of Faerun, afterall it has been the grounds for many battles and good times. I just recently began playing the Underdark expansion and going to Eveningstar - which is in Faerun - only several miles from places such as Waterdeep really got me thinking. Would expansions allowing players to go to places such as Waterdeep, Icewind Dale, Baldurs Gate, and the Sword Coast be a plausible idea for the future? It could add SO much new content and a whole new and interesting land for players to explore full of new quests, new NPCs to meet, new sites to see, creatures to defeat, endless possibilities! I don't know, maybe it's just my nostalgia but I feel like at least adding places such as Waterdeep (afterall it is practically the largest city in the world) would be so much fun and add so much new and interesting content. Ideas? Thoughts? Opinions?

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

I would rather see Sharn a trillion times more and following that the city of Greyhawk before any FR city

Eberron>Greyhawk>Darksun>Ravenloft>FR
    Last edited by Uska; 01-24-2013 at 02:26 AM.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

While I disagree, that is your opinion sir.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by BladeWarder View Post
    While I disagree, that is your opinion sir.
    Well thats what you asked for opinons and Sharn is a much more interesting city than any on FR

If and when FR is expanded on more, I hope they take the Eberron/Xen'drik approach and chose to explore more of the lesser known regions of FR that haven't been done to death in other games and in the books.

That said, I also find the FR setting about as interesting as crustless white bread - so I'd prefer to see Eberron expanded upon much, much more... even if that's likely not going to be the case now that FR is out of the bag.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

I would hate BG, IWD, Neverwinter for the same reason I hate expansion:

I HAVE SEEN IT MILLION TIMES BEFORE!

In most of games there was a 'go to underdark kill drow' moment. We done it so many times in so many games its already boring. Drow and underdark is the least creative thing you can add into game.

All of us already visited Sword's Coast, all of us already visited Neverwinter etc. If we're in forgotable realms, we should at least visit places that was not used over and over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

THe southern parts are pretty unexplored.

Would expansions allowing players to go to places such as Waterdeep, Icewind Dale, Baldurs Gate, and the Sword Coast be a plausible idea for the future?
    Yes of course. As others have mentioned above, I personally expect and hope that future expansions will look at areas that haven't been fleshed out previously. At least 1 dev has stated that would be his preference as well.
    Someone got it wrong. Everyone expected the Spanish Inquisition because they were required to give 30 days notice, by law.
    I can be found on Orien. My more active toons are Cilon, Solstone in Your Pack, and sometimes Acroyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    I would rather see Sharn a trillion times more and following that the city of Greyhawk before any FR city

Eberron>Greyhawk>Darksun>Ravenloft>FR
    +1 for not even putting Dragonlance on the list.

I could not agree more with the general sentiment in this thread.

I hated .. and I mean HATED that we ended up in FR, and not only FR but Evening Star and as if that wasn't bad enough we have to be nursemaided by El-freaking McGuffin-minster.

It was a solid 2 months after the expansion (and I owned it pre-order) that I even went out to the FR. Granted when we finally went out there it was fun to mock Elminster's follies and how the weakling Faeruners needing some real adventurers to come out and fix their problems "the Eberron Way". That didn't last very long.

IF we have to suffer through more FR then for the love of your chosen Deity make it somewhere that isn't well steeped in cannon and previous Games.

Let's say the Moonshae Isles or Chult. Personally I would be a lot happier with more Eberron content as you don't need the expansion to play there AND it's a completely different world from what we are used to.

I vote for Dark Sun
    That would be the tops
    Mangas Geronimo (Paladin) Grocery Baggs (Ranger) Naiche Geronimo (Cleric)

Guild - Orien's Rejects

I would love Dark Sun but once you are there, the demand for being able to build a "dark sun" Halfling or a Half-Giant would become enormous. Adding "dark sun" races to character just basically says screw power creep we are just gonna call it MOARZ FUNZIES!! In essence the opposite of what his Monty Haul game needs really.

Not to mention the addition of Psionics and the clamor that would be heard from the community to add a Psion class or two. That said I think they could look at adding a Psion to the game could be fun though I would by FAR and I mean FAR prefer that they complete the revamp of enhancements and prestige classes long before they add another class.

And for the love of all turbine don't "monetize" the enhancement pass or I swear to god it's my middle finger and I am out of here. We have waited LONG enough that it should come as promised and expected (that is to say free).

I agree with most on this forum. Expand Eberron more. Visit the Talenta Plains, Argonesson, Sharn, etc.

Bring more Eberron lore in. Bring in races (gnomes, kalashtar, WF scouts, shifters) native to Eberron. Flesh out more here in Eberron, PLEASE.

NOTE: Since FR is already here, head South to Halruaa (not sure about spelling) or East into Thay. Avoid Sword Coast and the Dalelands.
    Bring in... GNOMES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeKalbSun View Post
    I vote for Dark Sun
    That would be the tops
    Darksun or Planescape would be my preferences.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Having played AD&D for many years I have to say that I've developed a fondness for the land of Faerun, afterall it has been the grounds for many battles and good times. I just recently began playing the Underdark expansion and going to Eveningstar - which is in Faerun - only several miles from places such as Waterdeep really got me thinking. Would expansions allowing players to go to places such as Waterdeep, Icewind Dale, Baldurs Gate, and the Sword Coast be a plausible idea for the future? It could add SO much new content and a whole new and interesting land for players to explore full of new quests, new NPCs to meet, new sites to see, creatures to defeat, endless possibilities! I don't know, maybe it's just my nostalgia but I feel like at least adding places such as Waterdeep (afterall it is practically the largest city in the world) would be so much fun and add so much new and interesting content. Ideas? Thoughts? Opinions?
    The Sword Coast is a big no go place due to Neverwinter.
    Also Eveninstar is really far from Waterdeep.

There's better chances to see Myth Drannor, Zenthil Keep, Sembia, Thay, and things like Bloodstone Pass and the Pools of Radiance than to see Waterdeep and the North.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    +1 for not even putting Dragonlance on the list.
    I liked the age of mortals but I dont see that working here.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Alavatar View Post
    Darksun or Planescape would be my preferences.
    Darksun would be ok but I think it would take a lot of work to really give the proper feel and just about everyone would end up being defilers. But I can see some fun possiblites.

Personally not excited for more FR content. FR always feels like generic fantasy land to me rather than somewhere with it's own history. Sorry if that doesn't make complete sense but I guess the other way of describing it would be bland.

Community Member

Calimshan and Thay would be two places I'd love to see in DDO

EDIT: I highly doubt we will see any other campaign settings introduced, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that FR is the 4th edition base campaign setting.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karlbadmanners View Post
    FR is the 4th edition base campaign setting.
    Nope, Eberron has been the main official campaign setting since 3rd, and it stayed that way for 4th.

The problem with some of the settings ( e.g. Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Mystara, .. ) is that the IP is terribly fuddled, and nothing can be done without the consent of all the IP holders. ( that is WoTC, the original authors of the setting and the eventual author of the detailed part of the setting to be used )

The problem with other settings is that they are niche. ( e.g. Ravenloft, Spelljammer, Birthright, .. )
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...