Default Best Alchemical Guard?

I am looking to craft an alchemical sword with Laceration Lore for my divine. This would mean adamantine base, tier II mystical. The only tier III effect that would make sense is earth for Greater Spell Pen IX.
    I'm wondering what to put on tier I. I almost never melee, so martial doesn't make much sense. If I go mystical I get impulse 90. Not as good as my hat, maybe useful if the hat falls off.

So I just have to choose the element. I don't have any elemental attacks. Which means it's just a choice of guards. So which is best....

Air Guard
    Ice Guard
    Earthgrab Guard
    Magma Surge

I was thinking earthgrab would be best, except the DC's seem quite low for epics. Magma Surge, which per DDO wiki doesn't have a save might be better? At least against mobs not immune to fire.

I would probably match the second tier element to the first, just in case I ever acquire an attack in that element.

Opinions or advice??

2014 DDO Players Council

If you want to match the spellpower and lore, I'd suggest Fire, since divines actually have several Fire spells.

But if you care mainly about the guard itself, I'd suggest anything EXCEPT Fire. A CC effect seems more useful to me than just some damage.

I have an Alchemical, but I have +2 Wis (a Martial effect) on Tier 2, so I just grabbed the first CC guard I layed hands on onto Tier 1, in my case, Earth. If I craft a Laceration spellpower/lore item in the future, I would pair it with Fire/Fire.

Also, note that a Martial Tier 3 gives you an augment slot, which can be worthwhile, and potentially moreso with the upcoming augment rework.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post

Also, note that a Martial Tier 3 gives you an augment slot, which can be worthwhile, and potentially moreso with the upcoming augment rework.
    A very good point.

How often does your earth guard work in epic elite, with a reflex save of 35?