Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Isn't playing this game supposed to be fun, not the slave work!?!

My guild is level 70, or to be more precise, it WAS. For a good reason, we all have to be absent for some time, and guess what?

After a couple of short relogs for the reason of keeping decay under control, I found out that in a MATTER OF DAYS, all our EFFORTS from a COUPLE OF PREVIOUS MONTHS, was TURNED INTO NOTHING. It means OUR TIME and OUR MONEY, OUR EFFORTS and OUR FUN has been RUINED!!! And the rate of decay is at least TEN THOUSAND A DAY, and in a matter of weeks it is HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS!!!

What kind of slavery is this? Is this supposed to keep us tied to the game? We have been playing it for six years, some of us from beta, and I suppose we are not the only one. I think this should be voiced more loudly if it already hasn't (I was too p..d to check the forum).

My suggestion is to implement some positive stimulation, like putting some new amenities for high level accomplishments, for example Cannith deconstruction altar, or PvP chamber.
    The thing as it is serves nothing but making us all not being pleased...

Quote Originally Posted by Taryana View Post
    ~snip~
    So, judging by what I skimmed through that...

You are complaining about the game being too grindy (for lack of a better word) and want the good old fashioned fun that accompanies gaming. I see three main problems:

1) You are taking a broken system way too seriously. If running to the guild ship every hour (or after every time you die) to rebuff is your style of fun... You deserve two gold stars.

2) Even if your problem wasn't with the loss of the buffs, but the "prestige" that comes with a level 70 guild (which is basically none)... It really doesn't matter until you hit 100. Or at least close to it.

3) It's an mmo. Grinding is the only thing keeping this game alive. Whether it's grinding xp, grinding for new gear, or grinding for guild levels... It's always overly monotonous. Every single mmo is that way. Despite what you may believe, I promise, every single one is like that. Really, if you think about it, grinding is basically the purpose of every game in every genre. Granted, some are slightly better at hiding it than others.

Oh, I guess the whole part about Turbine not caring could have been mentioned as well, but I figured you already knew that.
    Snarfity snarfly snarf.

Quote Originally Posted by loki_3369 View Post
    so, judging by what i skimmed through that...

You are complaining about the game being too grindy (for lack of a better word) and want the good old fashioned fun that accompanies gaming. I see three main problems:

1) you are taking a broken system way too seriously. If running to the guild ship every hour (or after every time you die) to rebuff is your style of fun... You deserve two gold stars.

2) even if your problem wasn't with the loss of the buffs, but the "prestige" that comes with a level 70 guild (which is basically none)... It really doesn't matter until you hit 100. Or at least close to it.

3) it's an mmo. Grinding is the only thing keeping this game alive. Whether it's grinding xp, grinding for new gear, or grinding for guild levels... It's always overly monotonous. Every single mmo is that way. Despite what you may believe, i promise, every single one is like that. Really, if you think about it, grinding is basically the purpose of every game in every genre. Granted, some are slightly better at hiding it than others.

Oh, i guess the whole part about turbine not caring could have been mentioned as well, but i figured you already knew that.
    qft
    Argonessen: Jhanrae, Weisen Heimer, Chaard O'Nay, Soulah, and more. Khyber: Dyzzie and Myssie for escape from Argo drama

One solution to this kinda stuff is to make it so once you hit a plateau where you get a guild reward(buff/alter/whatever) Is to not actually lose the ability to use said buff if you drop down a bunch of levels. This would solve a ton of issues like this.

But until then your up the creek. Sucks that players who take a break for whatever reason have to be subject to this. Some will argue that mmo's are all about grind but this one once prided itself about not being another grindy mmo.. Those days are over...

But that does not mean every facet of the game needs to be a grind.. The guild decay system is and always was total ********! Regardless of if your in a big or small guild. It is one of the grinds that is just not needed. We have enough grinds.

I sympathize with you OP. Returning players should be rewarded not scared away with stupid grindy lame guild stuff!
    Born to play, Forced to work !

My guild is level 70, or to be more precise, it WAS. For a good reason, we all have to be absent for some time, and guess what?

After a couple of short relogs for the reason of keeping decay under control, I found out that in a MATTER OF DAYS, all our EFFORTS from a COUPLE OF PREVIOUS MONTHS, was TURNED INTO NOTHING....
    You were only gone for a few days and it wiped everything out? Really? How many days and what level did it put you at? What's your guild size? did someone with a lot of renown leave your guild during that time?

I dont mean to sound crass but if your "fun" was explicitly tied to your guild level... then I call shenanagans on your meaning of "fun".

Guilds are supposed to give some benefits (buffs, cool ships) for putting effort in them. They are not entitlements to everyone... not everyone gets a gold star, not everyone can but whatever they want in life, not all dogs go to heaven. ;P
    Male Fairy: "Dont cry my dear. You know what I do when I'm sad?"
    Felicia Day Fairy: "Look douchy..."

Quote Originally Posted by mournbladereigns View Post
    Actually, if this Nerf's one of Shade's barb's I doubly support this!

You've been playing since beta? Ship buffs are relatively new.

Just don't use them if they bother you. Problem solved. Play like you have been for over six years and enjoy the game.

Meridia Suburb of Stormreach, Xen'Drik. But have a vacation home in Cordova, Tennessee

I am rather bewildered that someone who is free to pay for their entertainment could compare such to human bondage. Hyperbole aside, that is one heckuva leap.
    -Khyber- Loreseekers, Guild Leader
    Hordorabbi ~ Hordiva ~ Hordazzle ~ Hordorc ~ Hordeau ~ And dozens of other HordoToons™!
    High Rabbi of DDO
    Loreseekers Guild ~ H.o.r.d.o.'s How-To Guides @Loreseekers

Having played the game this long, the fact that there is renown decay should not be a huge shock.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Having played the game this long, the fact that there is renown decay should not be a huge shock.
    Wait, what? Decay?

Buh, Im only here cos' Argo is borked !

Community Member

After a couple of short relogs for the reason of keeping decay under control, I found out that in a MATTER OF DAYS, all our EFFORTS from a COUPLE OF PREVIOUS MONTHS, was TURNED INTO NOTHING. It means OUR TIME and OUR MONEY, OUR EFFORTS and OUR FUN has been RUINED!!! And the rate of decay is at least TEN THOUSAND A DAY, and in a matter of weeks it is HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS!!!

What kind of slavery is this? Is this supposed to keep us tied to the game? We have been playing it for six years, some of us from beta, and I suppose we are not the only one. I think this should be voiced more loudly if it already hasn't (I was too p..d to check the forum).

My suggestion is to implement some positive stimulation, like putting some new amenities for high level accomplishments, for example Cannith deconstruction altar, or PvP chamber.
    The thing as it is serves nothing but making us all not being pleased...
    Yes I completely agree on the money drain.. Our guild used to purchase guild elixirs without realizing it will all eventually get lost to decay anyhow so it's a complete waste of money. The new guild system highly favors large guilds by giving them a decay reduction of over 90% in some cases. What you may also not realize is that it is actually worse now than it used to be for guilds of 10 or less because they also increased a penalty guilds get when gaining one mere level even if it took months to do so. So when you finally gain a level you only get half the renown drops for 24 hours but still get a full day's decay. Small guilds will find it hard to hold levels they gain when reaching higher levels. With the more frequent restarts and server bounces we see double decay more now than ever.

You may also want to check and see if you lost any members because with the system change, some large guilds are recruting vets from smaller guilds. That would also cost alot of renown.

Our guild leader already effectively left the game over this issue for the same reason you are complaining. We spend many on guild elixirs in good faith and the decay just ends up eating up anyhow as we get to higher levels.

The rate of decay continues to climb at higher levels.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Top 100 Talented Footballers (soccer):

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=269237

Jorge Mágico González on himself: “I don't like looking at football as a job. If I did that, it wouldn't be me. I only play for fun."

I log on, do what I just want to do, as long as I want, and then I log off.

I have fun.
    Sé que soy un irresponsable y un mal profesional, y puede que esté desaprovechando la oportunidad de mi vida. Lo sé, pero tengo una tonter?*a en el coco: no me gusta tomarme el DDO como un trabajo. Si lo hiciera no ser?*a yo. Sólo juego por divertirme.

Do they lash or torture you for not meeting you daily quota? Because that is what folks in bondage historically faced. There is no comparison OP and shame on you for trying to draw one. I suggest you avail yourself of a remedy actual enslaved people do not have, stop playing if you do not enjoy it.

Why isn't there a version of Godwin's law for **** like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by loki_3369 View Post
    Grinding...
    I agree with you on all three things mentioned. I do like the game and I am willing to pay for such a good game be kept alive. I rarely run to the ship to get buffed because I like challenge. I have been playing for years without ship buffs, and still do not have habit of racing there and back, not even for xp buffs.
    But I also like things being accomplished, like getting a new char level or new ship level. It is not the matter of prestige - I just cannot stand looking at hours, days, months of renown xp being ruined due to our absence required by real life.
    And one more thing - we all use renown pots, which are PAID, either by points we buy for cash, or points we earn by playing.
    Last edited by Taryana; 01-24-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    You were only gone for a few days and it wiped everything out? Really? How many days and what level did it put you at? What's your guild size? did someone with a lot of renown leave your guild during that time?
    After a while, I logged on Christmas day to say 'Merry Christmas' but seen that people are still absent as announced. I saw that the levels dropped, and wrote figures in MoTD so I can track the loss. I logged back exactly after 1 month, and noticed a few hundred thousands drop. I logged the next day, played a bit and got couple of thousands xp renown back. I also logged the next day and it was some 10k less then in an updated MoTD. Same story the next day. No one left the guild.
    Conclusion: 10k a day keeps customer away...
    Last edited by Taryana; 01-24-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnsfire View Post
    Do they lash or torture you?. There is no comparison OP and shame on you for trying to draw one.
    Agreed. And I do shame for two things. Comparing myself with real, enslaved people, and for giving out my freedom for digital slavery, due to my own psychological addiction to the game. One can always be faced with the truth throughout other people, whether he likes it or not, so I do thank you. Lesson learned.

Brings all new meaning to "bring out the gimp".

Reading though the OP and the follow-up responses it appears that the issue of Decay on an inactive guild is what is actually at question here.

Small guilds do have a higher risk of becoming inactive. So what should the solution be for a completely inactive guild? No decay when everyone is inactive? Reduced decay? How should it effect the guild when members begin to reappear?

I know I'm still waiting for the other changes the developers said they were looking into.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by memnir View Post
    hahahaha!!! +1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast