Default Help with TR'ing a Paladin

Hi, i am getting ready to TR my first life paladin and was hoping to get some advice. This was the first toon
    I made and so hopefully I can correct any mistakes I made the first time concerning rolling stats and feats.
    I'm thinking of going paladin again, as I really liked being able to self heal, but was thinking maybe ranger or
    barb (not ready for spell caster yet). Any benefits to going with these other classes or should I go pally one more time for the heal amp bonus? Also, all the gear I've been stacking is mainly for a heavy armor type.
    Any suggestions are appreciated,
    thanks
    Mangas Geronimo (Paladin) Grocery Baggs (Ranger) Naiche Geronimo (Cleric)

Guild - Orien's Rejects

All classes have advantages and disadvantages. Selfhealing is nice, but if you are VIP you could go half elf with the cleric dilettante. Barbarians are great for dishing out damage as are monks if you are VIP (although monks are very different to play).

Community Member

Take a few times the toughness feat and take "Siberys Defender" Prestige class at level 6.
    If you dont know what it is look at trainer's "unavailable skills"

Goodlike hp = more fun
    Skar the Satai. Always remains on ship a little longer.
    Visit his epic tradepost on Wayfinder: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=4698661

u are the one who was to choose what wants to do with the toon

and u have to thin about pros/cons of tr'ing again, or 24234 times, or getting completionist, etc

barb and pally have allignment restrictions, pall always lawful, barb always non lawful, so u can't splash bot together

u got heavy armor? next then should be fighter, then cleric (if wanna be completionist) if u liked pal and aren't interested in completionist, u can tr again in pally, or even leave it at 20, not all in ddo is farming lives, farming ed, and farming gear, the most important is farming fun :P XDDD

btw, don't repeat toughness, at lvl 20 u get 22hp for this feat, is ok have it one time for unlocking enhancements, but more than 1 is useless, hp doesn't kill mobs, neither healing, mobs are dead by damage!! XD
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

I have to disagree with Skar as Paly's are feat starved and stat dependent. My first toon was a paly who I TR'd to a paly then to a 12ftr/6paly/2mn build that I am loving. I started by reading the below thread which is very helpful with paly building.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...ighlight=junts

Not sure how to hyperlink but you can copy and paste or just search for junts paly.

HP are not the endgame maker that people make them out to be, honestly it depends on what you want your Paly to do, stand there like a side of beef and just take hits or deal some damage.
    Enjoy yourself your time on earth is very short.

All Kyber toons - Xirthax (Paladin) : Xirth (Wizard) : Xirthtrix (Fighter) : Xorthtrox(Monk)

Default thanks

thanks for your advice guys, Im definitly going to check out the link Rubiconn

Guild - Orien's Rejects

Before TRing, I recommend you do three things:

1. Have another character at or above 20.
    2. Try out Epic Destinies on your character.
    3. Map out exactly what the TR will give you.

I have found that in many (but not all) cases, TRing a melee is not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post

1.I am currently leveling another toon, but its a little ways away from 20. I can see your point on this.
    2.I am currently doing the ED on my toon but Im approaching level 25, thats why I was going to TR, as I've taken
    it about as far as I can unless I do. At least thats the way I see it.
    3. If I understand correctly, a past life paladin will give me a bonus to healing amp and more build points (correct me if I'm mistaken. Not sure at the moment the exact bonus to build points)

But why would TRing a melee not be worth it? It seems like once you've gone to 25 on a first lifer, and you like the
    toon, the next step would be to TR. Is because of the XP grind?
    Thanks again for any input you have to share. I'm fairly new to the game and still figuring this stuff out.

Guild - Orien's Rejects

TRing gets you 5% heal amp and 2 build points.

It is the XP grind that keeps me away, yes. Outside of the 18-20 and outside of 3rd+ life it's not that bad, but it's still a lot of work for a little benefit. One thing you can do at 25 instead of TR is go through the other destinies to build up twist points. There are enough cross abilities that it's worth it, plus you can get 100% of your xp from high efficiency quests as opposed to schlepping through the various heroic dead zones.

Tring is fun to me. And if you like leveling up way more bad a$$ then you were before then it could be for you. i havent run a first life char in 2 years because i simply dont enjoy it.

As far as tring your pally. I would say ya go pally again. You played it once not really knowing what to do so now you can come back and play it again knowing exactly what to do.

Is you pally thf or twf? I really like pally better as a twf myself because the animation for smites is faster and divine sacrifice procs in each hand. Also have you got some nice shroud items yet. i have 2 mins(has keen on it so nice for saving feat) a +6 cha skills wiz vi +150 sp goggles with haste clicky and a hp cloak. I also mixxed in 2 ftr levels for the haste boost and feats and str raise. I recommend starting your cha at at least 14. with a +2 tome you can be at 16 no sweat for at least dm 3 and big ole lay on hands.

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default pally

Ultimately play what you like.

Lots of good advice here on the forums.

Are you planning 2hf, 2wf, or s&b? Do you have 1/2 elf or 1/2 Orc? DPS you want to be focused on DPS, defense or some combination of both?

Just sticking to what you said: Heavy Armor limits you to Ftr or Paladin for melee DPS.

For a little more fun maybe try 14 pally/6 Ftr or 18 pally/2 Ftr or if you have 1/2 elf try all Ftr or a heavy Ftr build with a splash of pally with Cleric Dilly for some very good healing.

Standard Melee DPS Feats: TWF X3 or THF X3, Toughness, Cleave, Great Cleave, Overwhelming Crit, Power Attack and Improved Critical. That's your basic 9 allowed. Two levels of Ftr can get you shield mastery and improved shield mastery, and human for an extra ....empower healing (better heals), extend (better buffs), or quicken (uninterrupted and faster casting)
    Last edited by Battlehawke; 01-25-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Default There's a lot to think about

This TR checklist helps a lot: Great big TR checklist

My first impressions for you are to make sure you plan out the characters every level up because even with lots of experience making characters, you can make mistakes. After going through thirty or so lives across 18 characters I've still made mistakes too.

Be clear on what you want--are you okay with having inflated hp at the cost of not being able to kill?
    Are you okay with being able to DPS but not tank?
    Do you want to be able to do both on epic hard but probably not on epic elite (because of lack of specialization)?

Kinerd makes a good point that it's really, really beneficial to have one or more other capped characters to run raids and gather resources before you TR your main/only capped character.

Good luck.
    Character Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post

I'll add to this:

1) Make sure you have a crafting toon with decent levels (+40),
    2) Make sure you get enough Cannith Favor prior to the TR,
    3) Buy as many Cannith Marks of Favor you can.

Having decent gear at low levels can really speed things along.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

What i am doing is keeping my first toon and completely doing ALL the favor, use it as a faming character and favor unlocker.

I am using the second toon to 20 as a first attempt at a TR. Takes time, but then you know you can get whatever you need and unlock the newest fancy thing with favor when you need to.
    "Eye of the Dragon" on Argonessen. "Quest with the best"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeKalbSun View Post
    But why would TRing a melee not be worth it? It seems like once you've gone to 25 on a first lifer, and you like the toon, the next step would be to TR. Is because of the XP grind? Thanks again for any input you have to share. I'm fairly new to the game and still figuring this stuff out.
    Extra 2 build points is nice. But in that same grind time (lvls 1-20) if you stay at 25 instead of TR'ing you could do the following for your toon:

1. Get +4 or +5 tomes or upgrade tomes (or +3 if you don't have them). During the entire time you grind out your second life, I venture to say you would pull a couple (or probably more) tomes. Those tomes will be there when you TR. Eating those tomes does a lot more for your toon than +2 starting stat points and 5% healing amp. If you already have +3 or 4 or 5 tomes used on all your core stats (via drops or store) then this is crossed off the list.

2. Gear. Do you have all the raid gear you want for your Pali? At lvl 25 running raids every 3 days (or less with bypass timer) allows you to get 20 on the raids you want gear from and a decent chance at getting that gear (or +3/4/5 tomes). If you have all the gear and tomes you want this of course is crossed off the list.

3. ED. The current ED system really shines when you have decent twists worked in, and three of them. That means pretty much working through the entire ED tree. That takes time (it can be done while farming gear and raiding). Maxing out your ED and opening 3 mid-high lvl twist spots will do FAR more for your toon at cap than +2 stat points and 5% healing amp from pali past life. If you have maxed out your ED already this of course is crossed off the list.

If you feel that TR'ing is more important to you now and the above are not considerations, then go for it!

Before I take a toon on a TR train I will always gear him out for it, i.e.: tomes and leveling gear (if you are a crafter lvl 90+ you can skip the leveling gear, but even then I prefer to have some unique items for leveling (delving boots, ioun stones, GS, sos, dragontouched, etc.).

Somebody posted about taking multiple toughness feats. I highly advise AGAINST that. For a leveling toon you will want one toughness feat and enhancements into toughness and all the HP gear and a good starting base CON. But you also want to be able to hit things and do damage. "Pillow Pali" is a real pain in the rear to lvl, probably worse than a straight out Barb (at least the Barb can get a healing hireling, there are no DPS hirelings for the "Pillow Pali").

If you have never TR'd before it can be a lot more enjoyable to do it with someone (a guildie, friend, someone you run with often). So you both TR and start up the train, it can make it more enjoyable. It can be frustrating PUGing a TR life if you are not comfortable leading when you need to get something done or soloing on a regular basis.
    RTFM on Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SealedInSong View Post
    This TR checklist helps a lot: Great big TR checklist

My first impressions for you are to make sure you plan out the characters every level up because even with lots of experience making characters, you can make mistakes. After going through thirty or so lives across 18 characters I've still made mistakes too.

Be clear on what you want--are you okay with having inflated hp at the cost of not being able to kill?
    Are you okay with being able to DPS but not tank?
    Do you want to be able to do both on epic hard but probably not on epic elite (because of lack of specialization)?

Kinerd makes a good point that it's really, really beneficial to have one or more other capped characters to run raids and gather resources before you TR your main/only capped character.

Good luck.
    Thank you for posting that link. I was going to post it also, it's a great little (heh) check list.

You don't need to have everything on the list but its good each time you TR to check a few more things off the list. How close are you to 20 completions on your raids? Do you have some GS items/weapons made? They really do help out that much while you are TR'ing. GS basically turns you into God Mode from lvl11/12. Do you enjoy leveling up a toon? Are you in a guild? Do you have any other toons at cap that cap still 'earn plat/renown/gear' for you? Do you have a crafter or know someone in your guild/circle of friends who can craft shards up for you if you don't? Do you solo/pug/run with guildies? Is there a friend/Tr buddy you can TR with? Do you know the low level quests rather well? Do you enjoy farming the same few quests over and over for xp or do you want to try a once and done and only farm a few quests for xp?

A second life I found was almost no different to level up to 20 then a first lifer. A Tr3+ really does need a little extra work especially if your not running Tome of Learning,some kind of pots,voice of the master, ship xp shrine.

The main thing to think about is, is this past life feat worth 4.3 million xp and the time and effort to acquire it? Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Quote Originally Posted by squishwizzy View Post
    I'll add to this:

1) Make sure you have a crafting toon with decent levels (+40),
    2) Make sure you get enough Cannith Favor prior to the TR,
    3) Buy as many Cannith Marks of Favor you can.

Having decent gear at low levels can really speed things along.
    This ^^

I was so lucky to have sorcerer at cap when I TR´ed my pally and 2nd life was 12 fighter 6 paladin 2 monk as the above poster lol.

I geared my sorcerer up a little before TR´ing so I could participate in guild raids and this was very nice change to the xp grind sometimes.

Shroud gear and weapons like LitII are very nice at level 12.

But remember to keep it fun
    Argo: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir

Quote Originally Posted by Skar View Post
    Take a few times the toughness feat and take "Siberys Defender" Prestige class at level 6.
    If you dont know what it is look at trainer's "unavailable skills"

Goodlike hp = more fun
    That is just bad advice.
    Argo: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir