Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

The problem with the quest is that the Devs have removed most ways of killing the mobs under the grating. Even before they made these changes, the quest was extremely hard for melees. Additionally, the quest gets really frustrating if there is no trapper.

With that said, the quest being required to flag isn't the problem. The problem is the flagging itself because you must run every quest to run the flagging quest. Yes, you can window farm the final quest, but most people/groups won't stick around for multiple runs of Cursed Crypt. Yes you can get/make an opener also, but again it can be a pain.

If the flagging for Necro 1-3 was fixed so it's similar to other quest chains like Red Fens, I'm sure most complaints about this quest and those packs would disappear. The annoying quests would be an once and done for those who don't like them.

Aside: I'll throw Threnal's flagging in the Necro pack pile of flagging mechanics that need to be fixed so people can enjoy the packs a bit more. Of course, Threnal probably needs a bit more tinkering to make the pack more enjoyable, such as a real wilderness area and revamping the side quests into probably challenges, but that's a different discussion for a different thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Falco_Easts View Post
    It was probably more to do the with the extreme difficulty of soloing Crucible as much as the swim. When GH was released the minority solo'd, now that has flipped. In a straw poll not long ago it was over 70% of the time people were soloing. If the devs want people to run the content, they need to make it solo friendly.
    You mean solo friendly on elite for decently skilled players or for trained monkeys? From reading the forum it seems that the only quest that shouldn't be removed are those that are almost auto-complete on elite and only require you to run ahead pressing the left mouse button.

Only thing i dislike from BB is the fact that now people suppose that elite is the default difficulty and everything should be completed on elite with ease: if you can't run something elite, run it on hard, if you can't handle hard go in on normal, if you can't run it on normal run it on that new great difficulty they introduced to let people autocomplete things
    Cannith: Hazrael--Nyal--Thalax

Quote Originally Posted by Kirwin View Post
    I don't mind the mazes, it's the fact you can't kill the mobs under the grates that bugs me.... Rats keep dying to the carcass eaters... other than that I actually like it.
    You can use carcass eaters to press plates in the mazes and pull them using the rotten flesh, you would probably do more harm than good by killing them..a trapper is quite handy for the 3rd maze, but even there, with a little timing, you can just bypass the traps

It was probably more to do the with the extreme difficulty of soloing Crucible as much as the swim. When GH was released the minority solo'd, now that has flipped. In a straw poll not long ago it was over 70% of the time people were soloing. If the devs want people to run the content, they need to make it solo friendly.
    It's much easier to solo if you are the swimmer to begin with. In a full group on elite, roll a 1 its 200 damage, solo its 60.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    The problem with the quest is that the Devs have removed most ways of killing the mobs under the grating. Even before they made these changes, the quest was extremely hard for melees. Additionally, the quest gets really frustrating if there is no trapper.

With that said, the quest being required to flag isn't the problem. The problem is the flagging itself because you must run every quest to run the flagging quest. Yes, you can window farm the final quest, but most people/groups won't stick around for multiple runs of Cursed Crypt. Yes you can get/make an opener also, but again it can be a pain.

If the flagging for Necro 1-3 was fixed so it's similar to other quest chains like Red Fens, I'm sure most complaints about this quest and those packs would disappear. The annoying quests would be an once and done for those who don't like them.

Aside: I'll throw Threnal's flagging in the Necro pack pile of flagging mechanics that need to be fixed so people can enjoy the packs a bit more. Of course, Threnal probably needs a bit more tinkering to make the pack more enjoyable, such as a real wilderness area and revamping the side quests into probably challenges, but that's a different discussion for a different thread.
    As far I know, Cursed Crypt is and has always been a permanent flag. So I'm not sure what you're talking about.

2014 DDO Players Council

A couple points:

The Crucible wasn't just "removed", it was "replaced". There'll be just as many quests required to flag in Gianthold as before. What substitute flagging would you suggest for The Cursed Crypt?

Gianthold flagging is for a raid, and the new flagging for a new end-game raid. Necro3 is lower level, has no raid, no major end-game loot, etc.. And I suspect fewer people even have the pack. It's simply not as important. If you don't care to flag for The Cursed Crypt, what are you missing? Not much. That's not the case for Gianthold.

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Hi,

I didn't like Tomb of the Tormented at first either.

But with a little bit of work, you can learn it. If you know it well enough to do it quickly, you start to see it for the xp gold mine that it is.

Tomb of the Blighted is much worse, I think.

Thanks.
    I hate both of these, but if I hadda choose which to run, it'd be tormented.

Only real reason I hate tormented is it's an uninteresting stand around and wait quest.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrakHar View Post
    As far I know, Cursed Crypt is and has always been a permanent flag. So I'm not sure what you're talking about.
    If that's the case, then that's the case.

But after getting burnt a couple of times on the flagging of Threnal and Necro 1 and 2 along with VoN and DQ 2 (which both occasionally can bug out), I've never ran Cursed Crypt more than twice a life...about half the time redboxed.

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    The original post is written with a bit of tongue-in-cheek, so to speak.

I have heard in the years I've played DDO maybe a handful of people complain about the crucible. Yet in that same time frame, I have seen hundreds of people show their absolute hatred for this quest.

So I figured why not?
    If the developers are willing to move a quest out of flagging that only a few had a beef with, why not move a flagging quest that nearly EVERYONE seems to hate?

How many "Bring Back the Tomb of the Tormented" posts would pop up?
    How much forum rage?

(Note: I don't really expect the quest to be removed, but I figured now that the developers have set a precedent, why not offer up a quest suggestion that would be more universally accepted?)

You can start at level 7, run a few quests, and automagically become level 18.
    (I know you were being sarcastic, but we pretty much already have this option, IMO)
    You mean level 16 right? ...... btw my ranger laughed all the way to the end with our tr group turns out all they needed was me.

Tasmania - Yes it's an actual place and no, Tasmanian Devils don't spin around and eat people

Quote Originally Posted by pHo3nix View Post
    You mean solo friendly on elite for decently skilled players or for trained monkeys? From reading the forum it seems that the only quest that shouldn't be removed are those that are almost auto-complete on elite and only require you to run ahead pressing the left mouse button.

Only thing i dislike from BB is the fact that now people suppose that elite is the default difficulty and everything should be completed on elite with ease: if you can't run something elite, run it on hard, if you can't handle hard go in on normal, if you can't run it on normal run it on that new great difficulty they introduced to let people autocomplete things
    I was referring to the maze part which is the killer more to my mind. The maze that was never meant to be soloed but which players have learnt how to do.
    I can live with difficult spikes, but not being able to do something without sudying youtube video's to learn the tricks to beat the quest is another kettle of fish.
    A friend will bail you out of jail.
    A mate will be sitting in there beside you saying "Damn that was awsome!!!"

Unguilded of Orien

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrakHar View Post
    It is not permanent. Once you can complete the quest you have to reflag for it, but can redbox it if someone else has the quest.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Community Member

Well in regards to the OP as opposed to a crucible debate...

I would have to /sign this.

I know it is unrealistic to expect the change, and of all the issues I would prefer the devs focus on this is not one of them. That being said, however, it is a friggin gawdawful quest.

I know it well now, and I can make it through without a problem but I will never get over the first life, first attempt. I made it through all the damn rats, and blade traps. Thought I was smart and got one of the bad rats to step on the door swing pedestal, got over that last spinning blade, came back around and trapped myself in a hallway with a rat that had sneaked to the very end.

Needless to say my poor rat died, and I ended up having to buy a new computer (well not really but my diet Dr. Pepper did cause the need for a new keyboard)

I will always always always hate this quest!

HS

what do you propose will take its place?

Silver flame favor is hard to obtain. I do not see why it should be removed.
    The Blood of the Red Dragon

I was referring to the maze part which is the killer more to my mind. The maze that was never meant to be soloed but which players have learnt how to do.
    I can live with difficult spikes, but not being able to do something without sudying youtube video's to learn the tricks to beat the quest is another kettle of fish.
    You don't need to study any youtube video to get the maze done: just get in there with a hire to pull levers for you, eventually you will find the right path, there are only 3 levers and 3 crests after all, the maze isn't that huge. It might require some time to figure it out, but once you learn it in this way you will never forget how to run it

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    It is not permanent. Once you can complete the quest you have to reflag for it, but can redbox it if someone else has the quest.
    so wrong, CURSED crypt can be rerun without reflagging

bloody and shadow require reflagging, cursed could be rerun after flagging just once for as long as I remember

Community Member

Default Naw

Its a good quest. good xp with BB. the maze is not difficult, just annoying. yes, it is so much nicer with a trapper.....quests that really go easier with a trapper should not be nixed just "because"

Since the developers have shown that they are willing to move the less... 'popular' quests out of flagging mechanics, I propose we do the same to Tomb of the Tormented.

Kill it with fire, the sooner the better.
    Please, and thank you.
    RTFM on Khyber

No ty! the quest is easy, nice xp and involve an atypical way to complete!
    I love this quest and I usually farm it for exp and fun!

EDIT: Has long as u're talking about entirely remove the quest, elsewhere if just for flag purpose I can even say /signed since the quest will stay there for me to have fun!

Originally Posted by Kirwin View Post
    I don't mind the mazes, it's the fact you can't kill the mobs under the grates that bugs me.... Rats keep dying to the carcass eaters... other than that I actually like it.
    Carcass eater eat flesh too and once u get it with a piece of meat they'll stop wondering around.
    U can both carrying 'em to a button to use it for a quick pressure or leading em to a trap and let em die as u prefer.
    The only annoying mobs under the grate are the worg but those doesn't have that much life and usually 1-2 rat can kill em quickly (and a nice timing would avoid the battle at all)

Originally Posted by blerkington View Post

...with a little bit of work, you can learn it. If you know it well enough to do it quickly, you start to see it for the xp gold mine that it is.

Tomb of the Blighted is much worse, I think.
    1) yes! ^^
    2) exactly! ^^
    Last edited by Nephilia; 01-25-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    ALL HAIL TO ITS SQUISHY-MAJESTY SIR KNORR, LORD OF OOZES AND MASTER OF SLIME
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=386688

Default Crucible is easy you just are not good at the game

And for those of you reading/posting, I can appreciate your opinions that the quest isn't that hard. I never meant to imply that it is.
    I solo it on every life at level 10 on elite without using weapons so the quest is that easy for everyone; anyone who says Crucible is hard is a noob. You should have to do Abbot as a flagging quest before each Necro quest, including Necro I. In order to get from Korthos to Stormreach you should have to go through a Restless Isles style maze with your monitor turned off while sitting in a wading pool filled with South Colombian stinging Cockroaches. Instead of whining about how you don't know how to do quests, you should increase your HPs! I start with 40 CON, Superior False Life, I have a Lit II HP Tier 3 GS belt, I carry a weapon with +3 exceptional COnstitution, I took toughness feat 18 times on my Level 25 Horc Barbarian, along with Tharaak bracelet and Minos Legens! I currently have 15890 HPs, which is low I know, but I'm working on it!

Oh, you don't want my completely doable and easy to achieve build advice? What's that? You say that wasn't the gist of your post at all? So you don't even understand what you wrote? SCOFF!!!

OK I'm done.

For the record, when did this change? I just ran Crucible for nothing? :/
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    No. This is true for Shadow and Bloody, but not Cursed.

2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

I guess I'm just an atypical player, but I love these quests. Tomb of the Tormented and The Pit are two of my favorites.

Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12