Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HalfORCastrator View Post
    Bit off topic, but what's your barb's gear? You say your barb's not totally geared but I can't get that last 2-4 str(~80-82 on a horc) without lessening efficiency with my barb's gear, and I have most great items on him.
    Shade had a 100+ str barb before destinies and +5 tomes, so im sure its even easier to reach it now. granted a good 40 or so of that was consumables, rage, or gear procs http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...58&postcount=1

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Violith View Post
    Shade had a 100+ str barb before destinies and +5 tomes, so im sure its even easier to reach it now. granted a good 40 or so of that was consumables, rage, or gear procs http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...58&postcount=1
    Right, I know about that. I'm asking regarding nonsituational/stars-aligned stuff.
    ME BARB, ME SMA-ok I stand here with pretty blue lines around me. ok I take damage. ok bye.

Community Member

For fighters:
    18base+4tome+6lvls+7item+2ins+1exc+2profane+2enhs= 44+8surge+2ship=54
    +5 tome=+1
    +3 profane=+1
    +8 item=+1
    +3 ins=+1
    ftrenh=+1
    yugo=+2

Then the race enhancements/bonuses.
    Cool. Now a more reasonable example:

18 base+2 tome(1750 favor)+5 levels(level 20 was mentioned, not 24)+7item+2ins(PDK set, if it fits with your other gear)+3 enhs=37
    Surge is good for 1 min here and there and 5 3 min primal screams fall under the same category, situational boosts if you bother to twist them.
    Ship buffs are dependent on being in the right guild, so hardly universal.
    Anything above that is a matter of luck or extreme grind.

So, yes. I can hit that situationally, but in noway can maintain it.

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post

18 base+2 tome(1750 favor)+5 levels(level 20 was mentioned, not 24)+7item+2ins(PDK set, if it fits with your other gear)+3 enhs=37
    Surge is good for 1 min here and there and 5 3 min primal screams fall under the same category, situational boosts if you bother to twist them.

Added to the above, and still fairly accessible:

+1 if Human (H. Adapt)
    +2 if H.Orc
    +2 Rage potion (I think only 75 PP each, so easy to have a big stack)
    + 4 if Stal. Def PRE

So, another 3-4 with the most common racial choices for fighter, and up to 7-8 sustainable Strength with a common PRE.
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)
    ---------------------------------------

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercureal View Post
    Added to the above, and still fairly accessible:

+1 if Human (H. Adapt)
    +2 if H.Orc
    +2 Rage potion (I think only 75 PP each, so easy to have a big stack)
    + 4 if Stal. Def PRE

So, another 3-4 with the most common racial choices for fighter, and up to 7-8 sustainable Strength with a common PRE.
    Agreed, but all but rage pots is making it more restrictive. Not really applicable for the sort of blanket statement that was made.

Oh and I think you can get +4 from Horc due to enhancements (not sure, don't own the race) and we should then also consider -2 for halfling as it is also a valid choice.

Community Member

A +4 tome is absolutely attainable with upgrade tomes and the much easier raids. Difficult, sure, but not a fantasy. At the very least if you can't go to +3 tomes you are not being reasonable.

He said "above 20" though that's just nitpicking on either of our parts. You'd be lvl24 in no time.

If you notice my initial breakdown, it goes to 54(for any race), so it falls within your "reasonable" listing. Though if you don't count Surge as sustainable I don't know what to tell you. (5base+3kensai+2fighter action boosts. With LD 3 more, with Horc 1-3 more. That's at least 10 minutes between shrines. Downtime wasting the Surge between fights is a minimal issue since it lasts 1 min.)

+2 base horc str
    +2 horc enhancements

+1 str human

+1 str helf

EDIT:
    Not 54 for any race, -2 str penalty for some. If you're into that sort of thing.

EDIT:
    Agreed, but all but rage pots is making it more restrictive. Not really applicable for the sort of blanket statement that was made.
    If you count Primal Scream above, Rage doesn't stack with it.
    Last edited by HalfORCastrator; 01-25-2013 at 03:24 PM.
    ME BARB, ME SMA-ok I stand here with pretty blue lines around me. ok I take damage. ok bye.

Community Member

A +4 tome is absolutely attainable with upgrade tomes and the much easier raids. Difficult, sure, but not a fantasy. At the very least if you can't go to +3 tomes you are not being reasonable.

He said "above 20" though that's just nitpicking on either of our parts. You'd be lvl24 in no time.

If you notice my initial breakdown, it goes to 54(for any race), so it falls within your "reasonable" listing. Though if you don't count Surge as sustainable I don't know what to tell you. (5base+3kensai+2fighter action boosts. With LD 3 more, with Horc 1-3 more. That's at least 10 minutes between shrines. Downtime wasting the Surge between fights is a minimal issue since it lasts 1 min.)

+2 base horc str
    +2 horc enhancements

+1 str human

+1 str helf

EDIT:
    Not 54 for any race, -2 str penalty for some. If you're into that sort of thing.
    I don't find +3 tomes reasonable, because they are not a guaranteed drop. For me with 3 fighters, a ranger mix and a paladin to provide for, the one +3 str tome I've gotten isn't cutting it and I've yet to pull a +4 upgrade or otherwise for any stat. The PDK set on the other hand is close enough to guaranteed with the way commendations are passed out in the forest to count.

No, I don't consider surges to be sustainable, but then I'm generally not in a big hurry to get through content. One of the reasons I don't like barbs is that I don't like rage timers setting the pace for me or making me annoyed by the pace of those I run with.

I also stayed away from races due to the statement not saying anything about human or horc fighters, just fighters.

Community Member

If you count Primal Scream above, Rage doesn't stack with it.
    I know, but I see rage as sustainable and scream as situational. Though, that might be pushing it.

I see this on the forums all the time.

OP: I want to use stunning blow on a fighter. What DC do I need that makes it worth it?

Forumites: You should just roll a monk, stunning fist is better.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

Well, those views aren't the norm. For most people Surge and Scream are sustainable. +3 tomes, while not inexpensive, are plentiful on the AH(if you buy from another player directly, ~20-30% cheaper), and common enough drops with flat +3 tomes and 2to3 upgrade tomes.

Between collectables, 20-30k random gen loot to sell on AH, and trash items to vendor from multiple characters, you should be able to get expensive items(EN Nether Grasps for ~150-200k, +3 str tome for ~300k) every now and then unless you waste the plat on things that aren't worth it.

Community Member

I don't find +3 tomes reasonable, because they are not a guaranteed drop.
    They are dirt cheap on the AH. There is no excuse not to have a few +3s anymore, if not all +3s. Likewise there is no excuse not to have yugo pots at 25 if not well before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12