Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Helf Monkcher 2nd life 34pts

Hello everyone! The first life of this toon was pure ranger AA, and now i'm about to TR her.

I wanted to try a Half Elf Monkcher build. I'm interested on the 12 Monk/6Rang/2Fight build, but I'd also like her to be able to use heal scrolls once on epics (I don't know if it's possible though). This toon has a +3 tome on every stat already.
    Maybe someone experienced on theese builds could bring me some light. I've read some threads about Monkchers, but most of them use many past lifes that i don't have, completionists... etc.

Thank you very much in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by PTStroth View Post
    Hello everyone! The first life of this toon was pure ranger AA, and now i'm about to TR her.

I wanted to try a Half Elf Monkcher build. I'm interested on the 12 Monk/6Rang/2Fight build, but I'd also like her to be able to use heal scrolls once on epics (I don't know if it's possible though). This toon has a +3 tome on every stat already.
    Maybe someone experienced on theese builds could bring me some light. I've read some threads about Monkchers, but most of them use many past lifes that i don't have, completionists... etc.

You may want to check this one http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=405243&page=2. Change the 2 fighter for 2 arty, take same feats, but no completionist and sorc pl.

You may want to check this one http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=405243&page=2. Change the 2 fighter for 2 arty, take same feats, but no completionist and sorc pl.

If self-healing is a concern, I think the ranger heavy variety would suit you better, perhaps a 14 rng / 6 mnk. I happen to play one of those, and the spike self-heal ability is very palpable.

If you opt for UMD scrolls, you probably could theoretically hit the mark without taking rogue or artificer levels, but you gain so little from the 2 fighter that I don't see why you wouldn't make the swap Ellihor describes.

My third life Moncher was a 12 monk / 6 ranger / 2 artificer. I went elf because I was tired of looking at half elves. I also had a +6 cha greensteel item and could reliably UMD heal scrolls at level 11. Half elf with cleric dillitantte is much easier to use for scroll healing though. If you do rely solely on items for self healing, I hope you have some plat in the bank. The build is a lot of fun. Two levels of Artificer also amps up your healing items, and gives greater duration to your haste potions and displacement scrolls. Displacement with ninja evade is awesome btw. Using a repeater and handwraps make the journey to level 12 a cakewalk too.

My current Moncher is a 13 druid / 6 monk / 1 wizard, and it is a blast to play. I did have to buy a +5 druid heart so I can get another monk past life though (thank goodness they were recently on sale).

Jyni (Thelanis)
    Jyn... Kender... Thelanis

*Insert clever comment here*

Thank you for the quick feedback guys.

Very useful link Ellihor.
    Kined, this toon is pure ranger lvl 20 and the healling spells are not enough for being considered a good self healing imo, so I'd rather go for healing scrolls.
    Jasonji this will be my first Half elf. I keep seeing dilettante everywhere but I don't really know how it works. Correct me if I am wrong, but spending 6 AP on the 3 enhancements cleric Dilettante will directly allow me to use heal scrolls? Or what else will i need?
    I'd prefer going 2 fighter lvls instead of Arti (which is not a bad idea though), mainly because i still don't have enough Cannith favor to unlock the class.

Looking forward to more feedback

EDIT: I digged a little bit into it and I found out that with the feat Cleric Dilettante and the 3 enhancements I'll be anle to use heal scrolls with a 95% success.
    Last edited by PTStroth; 01-23-2013 at 06:14 AM.

Kined, this toon is pure ranger lvl 20 and the healling spells are not enough for being considered a good self healing imo, so I'd rather go for healing scrolls.
    Well, here's a quick break down:

Cure Serious Wounds at level 14: 3d6 + 6 + 14 = 30.5
    Easy spell power is Maximize and Devotion 2, that puts you at 30.5 * 2.9 = 88.45
    If you can squeeze in a Devotion or Potency item somewhere or more Devotion enhancements, all the better. Relatively easily obtainable values are 60 and 40 more respectively, for a total value of 118.95.

Heal scroll base is 110.
    And that's it. No spell power, no enhancements.

From there you can increase both with healing amp, but they apply to the same degree so it doesn't matter for comparing effectiveness. Throw in that you don't have to do any swapping for CSW, and you're almost certainly better off overall with it rather than Heal scrolls even if your set-up has you slightly behind on raw HP.

Another option is to get the cleric dilly and use it for heal scrolls (that's what I'm doing on my monkcher, personally).
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Community Member

How's your build going so far?

Take the Zen Archery feat as well as the Ten Thousand Stars enhancement.
    Take elven Arcane Archer.

I'd max out wisdom since that will become your to hit and extra arrows during 10k stars.
    Take just enough dex to get Improved Precise Shot (19 prerequisite dex).
    Put the rest into Con and Str.

Other notable feats:
    Improved Crit Ranged
    Mental Toughness
    Weapon Focus Ranged
    Point Blank Shot
    Dodge (to go dark monk)
    Toughness

fyi this isnt my build but ived used it and tr'd right back into it. Helf/cleric dily

12 dark monk/6 ranger/2 fighter

L1 ranger-WF ranged
    L2 monk-toughness
    L3 monk-stunning fist, (i used PL monk)
    L4 ranger
    L5 ranger
    L6 zen archery
    L7 ranger
    L8 ranger
    L9 fighter mental toughness, point blank shot
    L10 monk
    L11 fighter IC ranged
    L12 monk GTWF
    L13 monk
    L14 monk dodge
    L15 monk-precise shot
    L16 monk
    L17 monk
    L18 monk IPS
    L19 monk
    L20 monk

as far as stats are concerned you need 19 dex for IPS and the higher the wis the better stunning fist and 10k starts will be. no reason not to go 14 starting con. so take in account your tomes and apply points to your liking.

there are variations of this build around. this is by no means the only way to go but it is very viable in all content.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruener View Post
    fyi this isnt my build but ived used it and tr'd right back into it. Helf/cleric dily

L1 ranger-WF ranged
    L2 monk-toughness
    L4 ranger
    L5 ranger
    L6 zen archery
    L7 ranger
    L8 ranger
    L10 monk
    L11 fighter IC ranged
    L12 monk GTWF
    L13 monk
    L14 monk dodge
    L15 monk-precise shot
    L16 monk
    L17 monk
    L18 monk IPS
    L19 monk
    L20 monk

as far as stats are concerned you need 19 dex for IPS and the higher the wis the better stunning fist and 10k starts will be. no reason not to go 14 starting con. so take in account your tomes and apply points to your liking.

there are variations of this build around. this is by no means the only way to go but it is very viable in all content.
    I believe ranger lvl 4 gives precise shot so no need to take it at lvl 15.

Community Member

L1 ranger-WF ranged
    L2 monk-toughness
    L4 ranger
    L5 ranger
    L6 zen archery
    L7 ranger
    L8 ranger
    L10 monk
    L11 fighter IC ranged
    L12 monk GTWF
    L13 monk
    L14 monk dodge
    L15 monk-precise shot
    L16 monk
    L17 monk
    L18 monk IPS
    L19 monk
    L20 monk
    I would have thought 6 Ranger to begin (gets you to Manyshot early and you can play Ranger AA until level 9 when you redo your Enhancements and take HElf AA), then Monk 7 through 12 (getting Zen Archery as soon as you take a level of Monk so you can stay centered while using Manyshot), then for 13 and 14 take a couple of Fighter levels to round out your feats, then Monk 15 through to 20.

Or you take the Fighter levels later so that you can have Imp Evasion at level 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasparion View Post
    I would have thought 6 Ranger to begin (gets you to Manyshot early and you can play Ranger AA until level 9 when you redo your Enhancements and take HElf AA), then Monk 7 through 12 (getting Zen Archery as soon as you take a level of Monk so you can stay centered while using Manyshot), then for 13 and 14 take a couple of Fighter levels to round out your feats, then Monk 15 through to 20.

Or you take the Fighter levels later so that you can have Imp Evasion at level 15.

i noticed you cut out the part in my post that said this isnt the only way to build it. but thats ok you obviously have your opinion. my opinion is fighting as a monk w/evasion is more fun than fighting as a ranger. not to mention redoing enhancements i find very tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus123123 View Post
    I believe ranger lvl 4 gives precise shot so no need to take it at lvl 15.
    very true. i was going by memory. i'm surprised i didnt get more wrong than that

Wall of text incoming... Rolling a d20 for attack... 20, possible critical hit.

L1 ranger-WF ranged
    L2 monk-toughness
    L4 ranger
    L5 ranger
    L6 zen archery
    L7 ranger
    L8 ranger
    L10 monk
    L11 fighter IC ranged
    L12 monk GTWF
    L13 monk
    L14 monk dodge
    L15 monk-precise shot
    L16 monk
    L17 monk
    L18 monk IPS
    L19 monk
    L20 monk

Why would you take weapon focus at level 1, when you could instead get point blank, giving the same +1 to hit (when in range) AND damage? PBS to level 1. I know, just what you threw together, but may as well create the best resource we can for anyone looking for information. Precise Shot in unneeded (automatic with ranger), so Precision, Imp. Crit. Bludgeon, Mobility, any desirable and available active past lives, or another toughness could go at 18 (move IPS down to 15). Toughness, Zen, WF:R, Mental toughness, stun can be mixed around a bit depending on when you want AA and when you want HP and control.

Depending on when the fighter levels are taken, GTWF might have to wait for BAB. What you have works for it, but for people who would rather get manyshot and 10k stars ASAP, fighter would go later, moving GTWF down a level or two. You could also do some messing with the order to get AA at level 8 instead of 9.

Personally planning on:
    14-16 str based on lives / 16 dex + 3 tome / 14 con + 2 tome for earth 3 / 8 int + 2 tome, maybe build points here instead of strength in later lives / 16 wis + levels / 8 cha

1 rgr - Dilettante (cleric, maybe rogue), PBS, Favored Enemy #1 (undead), free Bow Str
    2 rgr - yay free twf and rapid
    3 mnk - Stun or Zen, WF: R (or toughness if willing to wait a level for AA)
    4 mnk - Zen or Stun, yay evasion
    5 rgr - meh
    6 rgr - mental toughness (prepares for level 8 AA), free precise shot
    7 rgr - Favored Enemy #2 (probably giant or construct, maybe evil outsider, elemental, or elf)
    8 rgr - free Manyshot and ITWF!, access to AA
    9 mnk - dark, toughness (could go earlier)
    10 mnk - meh
    11 mnk - meh
    12 mnk - dodge and ninja 1 (shadow fade, hide for ki), Imp. Crit. Ranged
    13 ftr - IPS or GTWF (probably IPS first with 10k stars and manyshot)
    14 ftr - GTWF or IPS
    15 mnk - Power Attack or Precision
    16 mnk - meh
    17 mnk - Imp. Evasion
    18 mnk - Precision or Power Attack
    19 mnk - meh
    20 mnk - ninja 2 (waterwalk, yay abbot), abundant step
    21 - Imp. Crit. Bludgeon or mobility or pastlives or more toughness
    24 - IC: B, mobility, spring attack, PLs, toughnesses, etc

I'm planning on TRing my epic capped pure monk into this. I'll be happy about having nearly full monkness still (lose 10% speed, capstone, d6, quivering palm, 6 AC, 2 dodge [although this can be made up for with the extra feats], shintao 3 if light, GM stances, amp [too ap-tight], some DR types [craft some wraps anyhow]).

WOAH wall of text. Roll to confirm critical hit: 20 (+ 9001): critical hit!
    Just my take on Monkcher without Overwhelming Crit.
    DISCLAIMER: Forums are a place of help - and of opposition... I'm not attempting to spark hostility. I state my opinions because I think they are useful. It is the reader's choice whether to adopt my opinions. I want to show people different reasoning and options so they can enjoy the game more fully. Usually this leads to walls of text. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by -Zyxas- View Post
    Wall of text incoming... Rolling a d20 for attack... 20, possible critical hit.

Why would you take weapon focus at level 1, when you could instead get point blank, giving the same +1 to hit (when in range) AND damage?

well thats very simple. its a feat that is needed so it was taken. i had no intention of using any range in the low levels. why? because it is subpar to say the least. better off using just about anything else at low lvls.

I like your disclaimer tho

I toyed with all the options before TRing into a 12monk 6ranger 2arti helf AA. From personal experience I went with AMMRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMA. Biggest mistake ever screw manyshot early its junk until you hit bab 16 for the full 4 arrows. No abundant step or touch of death until super lateeee another silly oversight for me no a step till 19!!!!

I would go Arti x1 Monk12x get twf itwf early then switch them out as you pick up the ranger freebies around 16ish so Ax1 monkx12 ranger 6 Ax1. Though if you do this option you cannot take gtwf as a normal feat and it would waste a epic feat but after experiencing fotw/ld 10kstars & ms adren, I had no intrest in gtwf or ic blunt and stunning fist. At most I drop to sireth when in ld for the 10k/manshot 30second downtime to build some spare ki otherwise its bow use all the way. Though picking up ninjaspy2 touch of death etc early makes for a smooth fast ride to 16+ when the bow becomes useful and you can switch enhancements about drop tod off and pick up 10kstars and some of the AA stuff grab weapon focus when you are moving towards cap the arrows are ok but they have nothing on slayer arrows which you don't get until 20 anyway.

Arti means more umd +28 umd ranks, OL with 4 base and items and buffs im in the 60s, 4 points in DD and 4 in search let me get all elite traps on BB until around level 12 when i dumped alot of the items I was using for the extra boost to skills.
    Basic buffs like enchant weapons, small dog great for pulling a lever or agro so you can run past something
    No need to take mental toughness as they meet the requirements for AA by having magical training.
    Rapid reload for free which makes your xbows even faster.
    Able to use xbows 1-6 until twf and monk gets more useful they are super op at these levels makes lowbies a breeze.
    Able to keep rogue dilly 3d6 sa or pally dilly +5 cha to saves & still be able to have 40+ umd without item slots for cha skill greensteel. Can be used for tensers, displacement, heal scrolls, restoration scrolls, res scrolls etc.
    Second arti level buys you +30% scroll mastery +1 caster level to scrolls and pots so 35second haste pots etc.

What you lose from not taking two fighter levels
    1 feat which you don't really need. The other one is wasted on mental toughness . I ended up dropping SF and took toughness there as after 20 it became worthless for EE content without pumping wisdom/wisdom gear and stunning/cm stuff. Currently running around in fotw with just under 1k hp so toughness would not do much for me eitherway so not really needed & and would free you up some ap tough use it while leveling to get past the painful 1-20.
    Fighter haste boost 1
    Fighter toughness 1
    Fighter str 1

This is what I should of done.

Here is base change for no +4 tomes:
    16str+3tome = 19 so you need 4 level ups to str for 23 str to be able to get overwhelming crit.
    One level up into dex at 16 to make 15+3tome=18 +1 level for 19 dex means you can get improved precise shot.
    Last level up can go to wisdom or strength whatever evens out your stats.

HTML Code:
    Level 20 Lawful Neutral Half-Elf Male 
    (12 Monk / 6 Ranger / 2 Artificer) 
    Hit Points: 256 
    Spell Points: 291 

BAB: 16/16/21/26/26 
    Fortitude: 17 
    Reflex: 17 
    Will: 18 

Starting    Feat/Enhancement 
    Abilities    Base Stats    Modified Stats 
    (36 Point)    (Level 1)      (Level 20) 
    Strength           16                20 
    Dexterity          15                19 
    Constitution       14                18 
    Intelligence       10                13 
    Wisdom             16                20 
    Charisma            8                11 

Tomes Used 
    +1 Tome of Strength used at level 2 
    +1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 2 
    +1 Tome of Constitution used at level 2 
    +1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 2 
    +1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 2 
    +1 Tome of Charisma used at level 2 
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 6 
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 6 
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 6 
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 6 
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 6 
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 6 
    +3 Tome of Strength used at level 10 
    +3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 10 
    +3 Tome of Constitution used at level 10 
    +3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 10 
    +3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 10 
    +3 Tome of Charisma used at level 10 
    +4 Tome of Strength used at level 14 
    +4 Tome of Dexterity used at level 14 
    +4 Tome of Constitution used at level 14 
    +4 Tome of Wisdom used at level 14 

Starting      Feat/Enhancement 
                 Base Skills  Modified Skills 
    Skills       (Level 1)      (Level 20) 
    Balance            2              4 
    Bluff              -1             0 
    Concentration      6              8 
    Diplomacy          -1             0 
    Disable Device     4              5 
    Haggle             -1             0 
    Heal               3              5 
    Hide               2              4 
    Intimidate         -1             0 
    Jump               3              5 
    Listen             3              5 
    Move Silently      2              4 
    Open Lock          3              5 
    Perform            n/a            n/a 
    Repair             0              1 
    Search             3              4 
    Spot               3              5 
    Swim               3              5 
    Tumble             n/a            n/a 
    Use Magic Device   3              4 

Level 1 (Artificer) 
    Feat: (Half-Elf Dilettante) Half-Elf Dilettante: Rogue 
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Bard 
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Wizard 
    Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot  (this with a heavy repeater wins ddo levels 1-6)

Level 2 (Monk) 
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Toughness 

Level 3 (Monk) 
    Feat: (Selected) Power Attack 
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Stunning Fist (switch out to zen archery when you hit 15+ and are constantly juggling 10kstars manyshot 10kstars) 

Level 4 (Monk) 
    Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Inevitable Dominion: Fists of Darkness 

Level 5 (Monk) 

Level 6 (Monk) 
    Feat: (Selected) Cleave 

Level 7 (Monk) 
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Dodge (Dark monk ninja spy)

Level 8 (Monk) 

Level 9 (Monk) 
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting (switch to great cleave at 19 so you meet the requirements of overwhelming critical)

Level 10 (Monk) 

Level 11 (Monk)  
    Level 12 (Monk) 
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons 

Level 13 (Monk) 

Level 14 (Ranger) 
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead 

Level 15 (Ranger) 
    Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Ranged Weapons (grab your AA arrows here fear are nice for soloing)

Level 16 (Ranger) 

Level 17 (Ranger) 

Level 18 (Ranger) 
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider (personally went with gaint for the new content)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Precise Shot 

Level 19 (Ranger) 

Level 20 (Artificer) 

Level 21 Epic 
    Feat: Overwhelming critical

Level 24 Epic
    Feat: Precision
    +5% to hit and reduce the target's fortification against your attacks by 25% 

Crit the dummy, crit undead & constructs Elite boss with too much fort? yep crit him too, you name it you can now crit it. PA is useless at this point anyway since I barely melee anymore, I'll only go with PA when in dreadnaught using sireth with cleave gcleave laywaste and momentum swing blitzing to kill lots of mobs around me when stars and ms is on timer.
    Ranger 6 buys you:
    Favored enemy x2
    Twf
    Itwf
    Bow strength
    Rapidshot
    Precise shot
    Manyshot
    Rams might & entangle. I still use this level one spell in EE and somehow it still works alot combined with tendonslice/pin, monk speed, abundant step and ranger sprint boost most things can't get to you easily.

Ps im lazy skills umd maxed conc maxed jump maxed some balance then some basic trap/ol stuff.
    Last edited by K_0tiC; 03-07-2013 at 05:10 AM.
    Officer of Renowned

Thelanis

(Click here too check us out)

Polverizing The Wise, Dotting The Cleanser, Polarities The Undying, Sosage The Killer, Shootin The piercer & many more holders of items.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    Well, here's a quick break down:

Cure Serious Wounds at level 14: 3d6 + 6 + 14 = 30.5
    Easy spell power is Maximize and Devotion 2, that puts you at 30.5 * 2.9 = 88.45
    If you can squeeze in a Devotion or Potency item somewhere or more Devotion enhancements, all the better. Relatively easily obtainable values are 60 and 40 more respectively, for a total value of 118.95.

Heal scroll base is 110.
    And that's it. No spell power, no enhancements.

From there you can increase both with healing amp, but they apply to the same degree so it doesn't matter for comparing effectiveness. Throw in that you don't have to do any swapping for CSW, and you're almost certainly better off overall with it rather than Heal scrolls even if your set-up has you slightly behind on raw HP.
    The 2 arti moncker gets: Artificer Wand and Scroll Mastery I and Scrolls +1.

Without feats or devotion items, a Heal Scroll is CL12 at 130% = 156.

With an easy heal amp of 1.2 (HE) * 1.2 (item) * 1.3 (item) * 1.1 (ship) = 2.0592, heal scrolls should hit for 321.

The high base UMD, also means that a CHA Skills item is not really needed.
    Varz
    Wanderlust

Quote Originally Posted by emptysands View Post
    The 2 arti moncker gets: Artificer Wand and Scroll Mastery I and Scrolls +1.

Without feats or devotion items, a Heal Scroll is CL12 at 130% = 156.

With an easy heal amp of 1.2 (HE) * 1.2 (item) * 1.3 (item) * 1.1 (ship) = 2.0592, heal scrolls should hit for 321.

The high base UMD, also means that a CHA Skills item is not really needed.
    You forgot you can pick up +20% more from monk I go between seeker+5 exc bracers and 20% amp sup parrying depending if I need to stay alive or do more dps with those and 20% helf 20% monk I get 391 a scroll very taste and around 200-250 lesser sf pot.
    Officer of Renowned

Thelanis

(Click here too check us out)

Polverizing The Wise, Dotting The Cleanser, Polarities The Undying, Sosage The Killer, Shootin The piercer & many more holders of items.

Hero

Helf Dilettante Cleric 12 Monk/6 Ranger/2 Fighter works just fine for self healing on my endgame monkcher. It does not require any UMD gear dedicated to it. As a perk, after you die or get level drained (oops) there's no concern about a UMD penalty. Plus, I'm happy to enjoy 54 more HP from the two additional feats compared to the Artificer version.

My heal amp: 100% base * 30% item (gloves) * 20% helf * 20% monk * 20% item (ring) * 5% Paladin past life * 10% ship = 259% * 110 Heal = 285 per Heal scroll. As a ranged toon, that's sufficient. Yes I'm giving up 3d6 sneak attack, and it's well worth the tradeoff.
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast