Hybrid View

Default Prey on the Hunter

I recently bought Reaver's Refuge and, as i usually do with new quests, i am trying it out with my main character (level 24 human pure rogue assassin in capped SD when running for favor) on normal with a hireling to learn the quests before sending in other characters at level or joining parties.

I've visited 3 of the 4 adventure areas, killed some rares, completed Enter the Kobold (on normal) and attempted unsuccessfully to complete Prey on the Hunter on normal 2 times.

Both times i failed it was because the giants killed the dragon.

The first time i didn't hurry in the labyrinth and by the time i got up the dragon was at 2-3% and died shortly thereafter.

The second time i tried to get out of the labyrinth fast and managed to spend less time in it, but by the time i got to the dragon she was at 10%, i started bringing down giants all over the place but the stupid dragon wing buffeted me 3 times across the (rather big) room and died.

Now, i can surely manage to get out of the labyrinth faster but other than that is there anything else that can help keep that useless white dragon i freed back on khortos alive?
    Or am i just too gimp to do this alone?
    Any tactical tips?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

I haven't run this in ages, but the common tactic previously was to run it on casual. You still got the rune from it (Dragontouched armour being the only specific reason I know to run Reaver's), and the Dragon seemed to have a fair bit of life left when we made it out of the maze.

If you're running for favour, or just for the challenge of a higher difficulty, I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions.
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)
    ---------------------------------------

People are still buying RR???? Why?

I sure hope they do some upgrade to this pack later on like they've done with GH and some of the older loot with U17.

Give folks a reason to go back there, you know like Armour that isn't surpassed by random loot now?
    Karadon, Paladin [5] Mar - Jul 2006 - Aureon [EU]
    Karadon, Paladin [20] Feb 2010 - June 2012 - Orien
    Karadon, Paladin [20] June 2012 - July 2013 - Orien [TR1]
    Karadon, Paladin [16] July 2013 - Present - Orien [TR2]

Quote Originally Posted by Karadon_II View Post
    Fun quests? While they are all challenging to a degree, I like the three main quests in there quite a bit (If you aren't grinding the heck out of them)

Prey is easier when you have a team, one can get the dragon moved away and the others can tackle the giants.

Still, I've done it solo or duo. A big part of it is to get the agro of the giants on yourself rather than on the white dragon, that and kill the shamans first. Clean our any blade barriers they set down using disenchant scrolls or the like.

It certainly helps if you can do the maze quickly, it is semi random so sometimes you get lucky and zip through, while others you take some time. In a group we split up so one of us is always "lucky" and then calls out to the others so no one has to try more than two paths till they get out.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by sigtrent View Post
    Fun quests? While they are all challenging to a degree, I like the three main quests in there quite a bit (If you aren't grinding the heck out of them)
    Hmmmm perhaps that's what I did Sig. Thank you for reminding me that quests are fun and not just the "time passing component" of a lootz grind. +1.

Love the show.
    Karadon, Paladin [5] Mar - Jul 2006 - Aureon [EU]
    Karadon, Paladin [20] Feb 2010 - June 2012 - Orien
    Karadon, Paladin [20] June 2012 - July 2013 - Orien [TR1]
    Karadon, Paladin [16] July 2013 - Present - Orien [TR2]

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Karadon_II View Post
    Its usual price is 250 TP and Turbine had a free 250 TP code.

the maze can be easy to make through once you know the set up. once you pass the line leading into the maze, the giants start attacking the dragon.

i always go right first and if there is a wall, obviously cant go that way.

than middle there is 2 possibilities- left or right. both would have a wall up that can be seen right away.

if there are walls in middle and right, than it will be left.

follow the path that didnt have the wall up until you see DM narration and above you see a forcefield. left is a dead end, so go right. theres 3 possibilities again. i skip the first one (right) and check middle. peek around the corner and if there is a wall, cant go down that way. if not, than thats the way out.

next i check left. i run around the corner and there would be a wall immediately. if not than thats the way out.

if both middle and left have walls than it is right. i check middle and left first because you know immediately if thats the way out. right has 2 more possibilities and its a long run down and a long run back if they have walls.

going down right, hug the wall and around the corner. if there is a wall, than check the path that leads to the left. no wall for right or left would be the way out.

usually i can drink 3 or 4 haste pots to get out of the maze and to where you drop down to fight the giants. remember, keep killing giants, especially clerics, until the boss comes out. once the boss is dead, giants stop respawning, so focus on him when he comes out and ignore the other giants. deathward is helpful because he likes to neg level sometimes. i try to keep my back to the dragon and "push" the boss away, but it can be annoying sometimes because the dragon will keep attacking you and you will fly away. it takes a minute to get the boss aggro too if he spots the dragon, unless the dragon is far away. if you can manage to get the aggro before he spots the dragon, than keep him away as best as possible. you can also hurt the dragon so watch glancing blows.

Kill clerics first, once all the clerics are dead, the boss will come out. Once you kill the boss, the quest is pretty much complete. Just help the dragon finish off the rest of the giants, talk to her (don't mention about taking her eggs, unless you want a two dragon fight), and go loot.

Community Member

As others have suggested, get through the maze as quick as possible. Once through, focus on the giant shamans (clerics?) as they determine when the Boss giant will spawn. Once the shamans are down, focus on the Boss and once he dies, the dragon can no longer die. At this point you can help the dragon clear out the remaining giants in order to finish the quest and talk to her. Also as someone said, your melee (glancing blows or direct) and damaging spells can hurt the dragon, so be careful what tactics you use when fighting the giants. Unfortunately since she is not aware you are a friend during the giant fight, you can't buff nor heal her.

If you kill all the giants and would like a chance at the other chests that are with the eggs in the forcefield, choose the option in her dialogue that indicates you take the eggs. That will spawn another white dragon (her mate) and you then have to defeat both dragons. Once you do, be sure to loot all of the chests, particularly the one up on the steps where the Tempest Rune is. Note - If you take the eggs and fight the dragons, you can not loot any chests nor get the Rune unless you defeat them.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Looks like i'll need to get out of the maze way faster to save the dragon.

Does she last longer on higher difficulties or the giants' damage keeps up making her go down in about the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by delsoboss View Post
    Does she last longer on higher difficulties or the giants' damage keeps up making her go down in about the same time?
    Unless it's been changed, it used to be that running on elite was actually the easiest way of making sure the dragon stayed alive... the giants would only have tickled her a bit when you came out of the labyrinth. I've not run it in 1+ year, so not sure if the U14 spellpower changes messed this up or not.
    Proud officer of Spellbinders: http://spellbinders.shivtr.com/
    Lyrandar(EU)->Devourer(EU)->Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromio View Post
    Unless it's been changed, it used to be that running on elite was actually the easiest way of making sure the dragon stayed alive... the giants would only have tickled her a bit when you came out of the labyrinth. I've not run it in 1+ year, so not sure if the U14 spellpower changes messed this up or not.
    This was changed a while back.

When RR launched, Aussircaex had the same HP in both the optional fight with her and also in the quest end fight. But the melee giants (the only ones that can meaningfully hurt the dragon) do the same damage on all difficulties. So Elite was easier and Normal was almost impossible. (I never beat the original Normal before it was patched but had no trouble with Hard and Elite, Casual did not exist then).

Later they changed it. Now she has similar HP on all settings (about the old Hard, a little less on Elite) in the Frost Clerics/Kalijarne encounter but still has the old HP in the optional. This is then modified by scaling (but so is the damage she takes). The giants do basically the same damage on all settings (and only the melee giants can meaningfully hurt the dragon, which is useful to know if it gets tight).

Basically the time you have to spawn and kill Kalijarne is roughly the same on Normal and Hard and slightly lower on Elite.

As for strategy: Try to aggro the melee giants onto you first (you don't want the aggro of the clerics but you'll possibly get it, not the end of the world). Then kill the Frost Giant Clerics. Then Kalijarne will spawn, throw everything you have at him. You really want Kalijarne's aggro on you, not the dragon (although she is tough and won't be insta-popped by him).
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Woooohoooo! Did it!

Got lucky on the maze and she was at about 55-60% when i got in, didn't kept track of her hp during the fight but Kaljarne didn't last long with his back turned to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    As for strategy: Try to aggro the melee giants onto you first (you don't want the aggro of the clerics but you'll possibly get it, not the end of the world). Then kill the Frost Giant Clerics. Then Kalijarne will spawn, throw everything you have at him. You really want Kalijarne's aggro on you, not the dragon (although she is tough and won't be insta-popped by him).
    I see.
    I ignored the melee giants because they pose little to no threat to me and i thought the same was valid for the dragon, apparently i am wrong.

I'll try to grab the aggro of the melee first on hard and elite (hoping i get lucky on the maze).

My character lacks aggro grabbing manuevers but i have 2 kobold gem of disguising, those still work in quests?
    Last edited by delsoboss; 01-22-2013 at 07:40 AM.

my tactic when I used to solo it was to drop down into the main room, pull the dragon and giants towards the steps, to your right as you drop into the chamber.

The dragon should auto go for you but once in the corner let the giants get her agro.

Kill the clerics and leave the dragon fighting the melee giants. Once the last cleric goes down run straight to the other end of the room. You need to try and make sure you don't have the aggro of the giants or the dragon.

This should give you time to fight kalijarne and his group before the dragon kills, or is killed, by the melee giants up the other end of the room.

That's based on getting through the maze quick enough but it helps to avoid getting problems with the dragon running round your battlefield.

The maze is pretty simple once you get the hang of it. I don't want to spoil it if you haven't worked it out yet but don't necessarily check each choice in order. Some are shorter to find out if you are right or wrong then others..... If that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanvar View Post
    I believe my left thumb is Gimp. I think I need to reroll.
    DDO Acronyms: http://ddowiki.com/page/Glossary
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...78#post2326178

Someone gave me the advice to always follow the left wall in the maze. Basically start down the left most path and follow along taking any left turn you can. About 85% of the time i get out of the maze pretty quickly. The other 15% it takes a little longer because of an unusual maze. I was mostly doing it with a ranger so i think i may have had a little advantage in drawing aggro, and of course i save up my manyshot until the boss appeared. It was much harder with my Barbarian because it was almost impossible to hit the giants without hitting the dragon. I actually ended up using the toothpick with her.

One advantage of doing it with a rogue is that if you don't have their aggro, you are really wailing on them and if you do have their aggro they are not wailing on the dragon.