Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default "Now use it to kill these intruders"

Why is it again that I have to stand around right in front of a bad guy while he blathers on about something or other and I can't stab him in the face but instead have to wait until he's done? That bad design. Please fix it.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

cuz the bad guy always has to monologue. and the hero always has to stand around and listen to said monologue.

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

Like hell I do, katz. In pnp, I have a chaotic neutral sorc that is anti-social and will just throw a fireball in the face of any monologue spitting baddie.
    Sarkiki - Orexis - Pallikaria - Epithymia - Musouka - Empnefsi | Cannith Server

if you think that is bad
    Hold for Reinforcement, the Reaver is up there, in shooting distance...
    but we stay down there and let him live while we SUFFER THROUGH THE PHENOMENON KNOWN AS COYLE
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    if you think that is bad
    Hold for Reinforcement, the Reaver is up there, in shooting distance...
    but we stay down there and let him live while we SUFFER THROUGH THE PHENOMENON KNOWN AS COYLE
    I would rather take a quest completion, but fail to receive any reward, for just letting Coyle get killed :P

In pnp, if you fail a quest, you don't get to repeat it, you just move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Musouka View Post
    I would rather take a quest completion, but fail to receive any reward, for just letting Coyle get killed :P

In pnp, if you fail a quest, you don't get to repeat it, you just move on.
    pretty much
    although if coyle dies, technically Threnal South never happens

why can't we just tell Coyle to stay the fk out of there and let us handle holding the area
    having him along is like going to a war zone with an infant strapped to your back and you have to keep the baby alive and happy

@$@%&!@$^*@I%
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Like hell I do, katz. In pnp, I have a chaotic neutral sorc that is anti-social and will just throw a fireball in the face of any monologue spitting baddie.
    Heh in pnp my wizard would cast wall of iron around him - fill that with a wall of water, and then seal the top and loot the chest

How's that monologue working for ya?

We are the good guys, we have to be polite and wait until the baddy finishes his little speech. They we rip him a new one that's it goes .

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    We are the good guys, we have to be polite and wait until the baddy finishes his little speech. They we rip him a new one that's it goes .
    We're not always good guys if they allow us to choose Chaotic Neutral as an alignment. Chaotic Neutral is the alignment with the most freedom. I can do bad acts, and good acts, and it wont go against my alignment.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

YOU SLY DOG! YOU GOT ME MONOLOGUING!

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

It is not bad design to have "Story" in a "Story" based game. Even in PnP time is taken to get information about what is going on.

this is not d&d anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post

YOU SLY DOG! YOU GOT ME MONOLOGUING!
    LOL +1

Yes the Monologue. The most needed part of the story, as it tells you what to do and where to go next.

Ahh yes, and in PnP the GM would have left you to face a massive portal of daemons that were spilling into the world, which will now flay you all alive, destroy your cities, and life as we know it, all because you did not wait around to let the villian tell you the only way to close it was by... Oh right.. yah. You killed him before he told that little secret didn't you .. too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
    this is not d&d anymore...
    Then what is it?

We're not always good guys if they allow us to choose Chaotic Neutral as an alignment. Chaotic Neutral is the alignment with the most freedom. I can do bad acts, and good acts, and it wont go against my alignment.
    Actually, alignment do not limit the way you act at all. If you act a lot like any other alignment, you just change alignments.

Basically, alignment works on a "go out of your way" thing. Good people go out of their way to do good deeds (travelling to another city to give back a found wallet), neutral people do good deeds if it do not require a lot of effort (putting the wallet on the Lost & Found), and evil people don't even think about doing the right thing (Smuggling the wallet even if the thing just dropped from the pocket of the legitimate owner).

The other axis works simmilarly. Lawful people go out of their way to fulfill the law of the location (like buying stuff easily acquired for free illegally), neutral people do the lawful stuff if the unlawful stuff is harder to acquire (like buying branded beer or unbranded cheap home-made beer), and chaotic people don't care a bit for that law stuff, and some even think anarchy is the right state of things (activelly breaking the law just to show up how wrong it is).

Or I'm just tired to repeatelly say that every time someone in my table uses Chaotic Neutral characters as an excuse to act like a jerk.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    Actually, alignment do not limit the way you act at all. If you act a lot like any other alignment, you just change alignments.

Basically, alignment works on a "go out of your way" thing. Good people go out of their way to do good deeds (travelling to another city to give back a found wallet), neutral people do good deeds if it do not require a lot of effort (putting the wallet on the Lost & Found), and evil people don't even think about doing the right thing (Smuggling the wallet even if the thing just dropped from the pocket of the legitimate owner).

The other axis works simmilarly. Lawful people go out of their way to fulfill the law of the location (like buying stuff easily acquired for free illegally), neutral people do the lawful stuff if the unlawful stuff is harder to acquire (like buying branded beer or unbranded cheap home-made beer), and chaotic people don't care a bit for that law stuff, and some even think anarchy is the right state of things (activelly breaking the law just to show up how wrong it is).

Or I'm just tired to repeatelly say that every time someone in my table uses Chaotic Neutral characters as an excuse to act like a jerk.
    I understand. I DM too. I don't allow chaotic neutral, because there really is no way for me to punish them for their actions. No XP penalty, no shifting of alignment. Plus I don't allow players to steal from each other, as it just leads to problems.

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post

In all fairness, the neutral people would put the wallet in Lost & Found only sans cash, most likely. >_>
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Your allowed to be CN you just cant act as you think CN should

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Your allowed to be CN you just cant act as you think CN should
    I know that. I mean, doing Sharn Syndicate is the earliest flaw to the alignment system. The quest where you read a note that implicates one of the quest givers, he then bribes you with a list of reward items. Used to be just 1 item. A lawful good paladin could never let this happen. He would never take a bribe, and would either arrest the person or smite them for the act of attempted bribery.

Then what is it?
    D&D 3.75th edition :P
    That which does not kill you gives you experience points.

(Fighter->Fighter->Fighter->Monk->Monk->Barbarian->Paladin->Ranger)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast