Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Default Look at what the Bad Boy is doing now:

Oh, Atari, Atari.

Atari files for chapter 11 bankruptcy

Brett Molina, USA TODAY8:32a.m. EST January 21, 2013

(Photo: Activision)

Video game pioneer Atari has filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy as part of a plan to split from its parent company formerly known as Infogrames.
    The creator of classic video game franchises such as Pong and Asteroids will begin a sale of its assets in the next few months, in an attempt to operate as an independent company.
    Instead of focusing on the home console market, where Atari rose in popularity with its '80s-era hardware, the publisher will turn to the digital and mobile space. Several titles based on classic titles including Asteroids and Breakout have launched on Apple's App Store and performed well.
    Atari says the move to mobile games has netted annual profits in 2011 and 2012 for both the publisher and parent company Atari S.A. According to the Los Angeles Times, who first reported the story, neither company has generated profit for roughly 10 years.
    In 2008, Infogrames announced it was merging with Atari, acquiring the publisher's remaining shares for about $11 million.
    Last summer, Atari celebrated its 40th anniversary. The last notable console release for Atari was the 2009 video game based on the Ghostbusters series of films.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/g...uptcy/1850939/
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- years & still spawning kobolds
    Who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Atari is pretty much done... Now they'll pretty much be considered a small business and just work on putting out mobile games. Of course you can have profits with that, especially when you have less than 30 employees.
    Sarkiki - Orexis - Pallikaria - Epithymia - Musouka - Empnefsi | Cannith Server

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

A more in depth article from the NY Times:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/01/...or-bankruptcy/

I am looking for Pitfall for iPhone.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

You should be glad; maybe the company that will translate/publish the next part(s) of Witcher will translate it well ;p
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

I would totally play old atari games on my phone.

I do remember thinking at some point in the late nineties .. why don't some of these companies just make their obsolete 80's games public domain? I do like to think that some of them actually anticipated one day another form factor would come along and re-create their market and so they held onto the rights.

So what fate will DDO fall into if this bankruptcy goes through?
    Here's a riddle for you: What do you call people who play the game for only a day and apparently know everything?

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

*laughs* I know pitfall was huge, and it was played on the Atari 2600, but it's not actually an Atari game. There were plenty of Atari games they could have used for the photo. Including the iconic Combat that we all recognize because it came with the system for a really long time.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Quote Originally Posted by knightgf View Post
    So what fate will DDO fall into if this bankruptcy goes through?
    Zero. Atari has no connection to DDO anymore aside from finding old Boxes of the game with the Atari logo printed on it.
    Sarkiki - Orexis - Pallikaria - Epithymia - Musouka - Empnefsi | Cannith Server

The Artari I knew died a long time ago, and has just been shuffling around as an ambulant corpse for years now. Maybe this is just the final cricket bat to the head needed to put it down for good.

Their logo looks good on ironic hipster tee shirts, tho.

/shrug

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    *laughs* I know pitfall was huge, and it was played on the Atari 2600, but it's not actually an Atari game. There were plenty of Atari games they could have used for the photo. Including the iconic Combat that we all recognize because it came with the system for a really long time.
    I know ... but the pic did make me think of Pitfall. BTW, it has been updated for iOS and is FREE.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Hafeal View Post
    I know ... but the pic did make me think of Pitfall. BTW, it has been updated for iOS and is FREE.
    I have the pitfall atari 2600 emulator for my computer since my actual 2600 died long, long ago in an apartment far, far away. I don't want to admit how many hours I sat with friends Ray and Danny just laughing at Pitfall Harry's trials and travails. I believe we, being children aged 10 to 12 at the time, thought it was hilarious to torture the little pixel man by setting him on fire or feeding him to the scorpions. I also have it on my iPad. And might have had it on the Sega cd solely for the nostalgia of getting to the secret portal that took you back to play the original game. LOL

Ah, Pitfall. Activision really did put out the best games ever at the time.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    I have the pitfall atari 2600 emulator for my computer since my actual 2600 died long, long ago in an apartment far, far away. I don't want to admit how many hours I sat with friends Ray and Danny just laughing at Pitfall Harry's trials and travails. I believe we, being children aged 10 to 12 at the time, thought it was hilarious to torture the little pixel man by setting him on fire or feeding him to the scorpions. I also have it on my iPad. And might have had it on the Sega cd solely for the nostalgia of getting to the secret portal that took you back to play the original game. LOL

Ah, Pitfall. Activision really did put out the best games ever at the time.
    I should try the emulator - ah, Adventure!

My Dad still has my 2600, with controllers and games in a box somewhere. I have thought about pulling them out to show my kids ... but they would be bored before I started. I did see the console emulators for the 2600 and Sega at Walgreens, CVS etc over the holidays. I wish they had one for Intellivsion - the game system all my friends wanted but could not afford at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    The Artari I knew died a long time ago, and has just been shuffling around as an ambulant corpse for years now. Maybe this is just the final cricket bat to the head needed to put it down for good.

Their logo looks good on ironic hipster tee shirts, tho.

/shrug
    This.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.