Exclamation Bug report before Ghallanda crash

Strange situation on Kobolt Assault on Elite. My character "Bredy" summoned Hireling, which did not appear in the party. He has been in the quest area, but his name has dark-blue title like character which is not member of the party. He still carried out the commands. Kobolts started fighting and after while they stopped moving. It is possible, that this can be reason of crash.

Party consists of two rangers: Bredy 5lvl and Bargis 2lvl, two hirelings and one wolf. See log files, if you find reason for this stange behaviour. Bargis has been dead while crash and he probably tried to reach the shrine.

(sorry for my english, i am from czech rep.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    Strange situation on Kobolt Assault on Elite. My character "Bredy" summoned Hireling, which did not appear in the party. He has been in the quest area, but his name has dark-blue title like character which is not member of the party. He still carried out the commands. Kobolts started fighting and after while they stopped moving. It is possible, that this can be reason of crash.

Party consists of two rangers: Bredy 5lvl and Bargis 2lvl, two hirelings and one wolf. See log files, if you find reason for this stange behaviour. Bargis has been dead while crash and he probably tried to reach the shrine.

So its your fault!

kill him! kill him!

just joking man.

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

YourDDO Creator
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post

Pretty sure it's not your fault... I had some pretty odd things happen in the past right before a server crash... From what I can tell, the server's just stop working and it takes them like 3-5 minutes to officially call it quits and shutdown/dc... it's during those 3-5 minutes that all the weird stuff happens...

Greensteel Planner, ToD Ring Planner, Server Status, Monster Manual Reference
    I was a Mournlander
    Silas_O'Reilly is now known as Ague in the forums!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silas_O'Reilly View Post
    Pretty sure it's not your fault... I had some pretty odd things happen in the past right before a server crash... From what I can tell, the server's just stop working and it takes them like 3-5 minutes to officially call it quits and shutdown/dc... it's during those 3-5 minutes that all the weird stuff happens...
    This is not that case. You know that quest, there is a pause after openning the gate before first kobolt approach. Server crashed at moment, when all kobolts stoped moving. But hireling has been aprox. two minutes in the game following me as usual.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default You do Kobold Assault every weekend?

Trust me, it is not your fault.

Turbine has numerous memory leaks in their code. The programmers priority is NOT memory leaks.

The Thelanis server used to rcash ALL the time, maybe they moved the Thelanis server to be the Ghallanda server.

It is possible, there is bad memory on the Ghallanda server, and combine that with the DDO memory leaks, the server just crashes the application.

Since the other servers are not going down, the login servers are not going down, the DDO Store server is not going down, it is a server specific problem.

It could be a bad hard drive space on the Ghallanda server.

Whatever the problem is, I would replace the Ghallanda server first, then I would test the old Ghallanda server by swapping out one thing at a time and testing it out at Lammannia.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Definitely not you.

The interesting thing to note is that people on other servers experience huge lag when G-Land crash.
    ( this week there's threads about crippling lag on Orien just when we were spamming the forum with our 11 G-Land is broken threads )

After last sunday's crash I was starting to think that it was a cron job that was breaking G-Land. ( as it happened always on the same day of the week at about the same time ) But as this week we crashed on a Saturday this train of thought goes away.

( for the Unix illiterate a cron job is basically a task [ program ] that is run periodically. It can be run every minute, every day at a given time, at a specific date ( the second day of a month ) or every week on Sunday at 9PM Western European Time )
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

I am only trying to help.

Is it problem to replace hardware? I have experience from a large IT company. Crashing due hardware failure can be easy solved by replacing hardware complete. If this doesn't help, it is software problem. There are a lot of different data in databases on each server, many combinations of characters, items in invertory, game progression, player actions, everything can participate on bad mood of each server. So crashing of one server often then other don't need always be problem of hardware.

If my bug report helps, i will be lucky. If not, ... never mind
    Last edited by Wanesa; 01-19-2013 at 03:49 PM.

I have doubts what we call a server is just one single physical server...

I suspect each server ( at least what we call server ) is physically several 19" racks.
    Replacing a row of racks of hardware costs a lot of money.

I have a small idea of the kind of complex infrastructure a game like DDO can generate, and no way a simple hardware replacement will work.
    I could probably post a diagram of my guesses, but that would probably earns me a permanent vacation from the game. ( the no reverse engineering bit )
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    I have doubts what we call a server is just one single physical server...

I suspect each server ( at least what we call server ) is physically several 19" racks.
    Replacing a row of racks of hardware costs a lot of money.

I have a small idea of the kind of complex infrastructure a game like DDO can generate, and no way a simple hardware replacement will work.
    I could probably post a diagram of my guesses, but that would probably earns me a permanent vacation from the game. ( the no reverse engineering bit )
    Disagree. Today it can be one physical server for the location. How many users are in game? Not a lot. Compare with trafic on ordinary web server or chat server. It can be multicore server with a lot of memory and wide network connection. Everything is kept in memory, only player states are stored into databases. After crash everything is lost, including airship things.

There will one extra physical server for chat.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Unhappy

Not him?
    So I have to put down torch and pitchfork?
    T.T

Several thousand of people on each server.

I know as a sure fact that database queries are made for almost everything. ( as it was stated by a dev that the crafting interfaces made queries to the db for the recipes, and that among other things shared bank content is generated by db queries as well as the inventory )
    Even if not the databases are going to require something like a Symetrix as mass storage to provide the kind of uptime required by the game. That kind of thing only comes cabinet sized.

If you look at the logs from your client you'll see that each server has two different IPs.
    One is the official IP the other is in one of the reserved IPv4 block that are not routed.
    Each server has a different set of IP ( ok I know it's easy to have several IPs on a single interface )

Customer Account is separate, hosted on a separate server, with a separate database... As the Account validation redirects towards the servers ( also shown in the logs ).

Add to that some bits of load balancing on the front end and also on the back end towards the db for performance.
    a few fiddly bits, and you have something that is definitely going to take several cabinets, even if you don't want it.

Even with multicore/multithread technology no way everything is hosted on a single physical server.
    Otherwise in Telco we wouldn't bother making systems with more than 40 processor boards to handle just circuit switching ( the good old telephone ).