Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    752

    Default Suggestion - Learn How to Assign XP to a Quest

    The Dungeon Master's Guide has all kinds of rules and guidelines in it just for the express purpose of determining how much XP a quest should give. Or heck, even use the variant rules in Unearthed Arcana. But learn how to do it instead of the terrible eyeballing job that gets done currently.

  2. #2
    Community Member bartharok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Far beyond the ravens gate
    Posts
    5,476

    Default

    If they did it according to the guidelines, i fear the average would go down instead of up.

  3. #3
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    If they did it according to the guidelines, i fear the average would go down instead of up.
    If we went by pnp http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnD_DMG_XPFinal.asp

    Imagine a quest like kobald assault, 200 CR5 mobs, doing the quest at lvl 5, that alone would be worth 300,000xp, not including things like conquest, bravery bonus, completing the quest....

  4. #4
    Community Member Kinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,710

    Default

    No intelligent (or even sentient) being could intentionally do a job as bad as the job that has been done. The answer is therefore that they just don't care. As such, I fear your suggestions will be ignored for the same reason: Turbine just doesn't care.

    I could be wrong, though, perhaps u18 will come out and House C quests will have 4 times as much XP.

  5. #5
    Hero Musouka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    2,454

    Default

    The DM guide says the DM is in control. The DM guide is just a guide, or a guideline. It isn't expressed rules verbatim. If Turbine went by the guidelines only, then where are the rest of our skills? Where are half the feats?

    DMs make their rules, if you don't like the DM's rules, then don't play.
    Sarkiki - Orexis - Pallikaria - Epithymia - Musouka - Empnefsi | Cannith Server

  6. #6
    Community Member esoitl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    If we went by pnp http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnD_DMG_XPFinal.asp

    Imagine a quest like kobald assault, 200 CR5 mobs, doing the quest at lvl 5, that alone would be worth 300,000xp, not including things like conquest, bravery bonus, completing the quest....
    Kobolds are NOT CR5 on that scale, even if they are in DDO.
    I believe by the Monster Manual they are CR.25 therefore 200 would be the equivalent of (50)(CR1-3) on that chart which equals 1500XP in DDO.
    Base XP according to DDOwiki is ~1300-1500, which is in line with what it should be...

    The more you know!

  7. #7
    Community Member Bacab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    3,093

    Default

    To simplify...

    Why does Delera's Part 2 and 4 give more XP than all the House C quest and all the Amrath Quest?
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

  8. #8
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esoitl View Post
    Kobolds are NOT CR5 on that scale, even if they are in DDO.
    I believe by the Monster Manual they are CR.25 therefore 200 would be the equivalent of (50)(CR1-3) on that chart which equals 1500XP in DDO.
    Base XP according to DDOwiki is ~1300-1500, which is in line with what it should be...

    The more you know!
    Um, no. They have class levels. They shoot lightning bolts and have over 100 hp. You can't ignore all that and say, but it's a kobald. They are CR5.

    A monster manual kobald has half a hit dice, 1-4 hp. There's a difference.

  9. #9
    Community Member fco-karatekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    No intelligent (or even sentient) being could intentionally do a job as bad as the job that has been done. The answer is therefore that they just don't care. As such, I fear your suggestions will be ignored for the same reason: Turbine just doesn't care.

    I could be wrong, though, perhaps u18 will come out and House C quests will have 4 times as much XP.
    See if this is a recurring pattern for most of you - roughly 10-20 quests per level (assuming Hard skill level). It seems to be repeating till about 18-19 or so for me. I think THAT has much to do with quest XP allocation in DDO.

  10. #10
    Hero Gkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,184

    Default

    While there are problems with XP, it would be insane to pretend you could make D&D XP rules on DDO. Things just aren't comparable in any way, you would have to through out the entire xp system, xp bonus system, TR xp system, etc, all those paid XP boosting items, and start again from scratch.

    We would also have to encounter MANY less creatures per day and have our own abilities stripped down to make any sense.

    Yeah, it doesn't work, forget it.

  11. #11
    Community Member esoitl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    Um, no. They have class levels. They shoot lightning bolts and have over 100 hp. You can't ignore all that and say, but it's a kobald. They are CR5.

    A monster manual kobald has half a hit dice, 1-4 hp. There's a difference.
    Yes, and the difference is, you're using a scale that says they are CR.25 and not CR5.
    Check a quote from the link that you posted:
    Some monsters are fractions of a Challenge Rating. For instance, a single orc is not a good challenge for even a 1st-level party, although two might be. You could think of an orc as approximately CR 1/2. For these cases, calculate XP as if the creature were CR 1, then divide the result by 2.
    We're talking about an entirely different CR scale here and your example is so off-base it's a bit silly.
    According to the Monster Manual and that the scale you linked, bearded devils are CR 5 monsters, and fighting one at level five would warrant the XP in the chart... you should actually understand what you're posting as it helps your argument.

  12. #12
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esoitl View Post
    Yes, and the difference is, you're using a scale that says they are CR.25 and not CR5.
    Check a quote from the link that you posted:

    We're talking about an entirely different CR scale here and your example is so off-base it's a bit silly.
    According to the Monster Manual and that the scale you linked, bearded devils are CR 5 monsters, and fighting one at level five would warrant the XP in the chart... you should actually understand what you're posting as it helps your argument.
    It also says.

    An NPC with a PC class has a Challenge Rating equal to the NPC’s level. Thus, an 8th-level sorcerer is an 8th-level encounter.

    So in that quest you have 200 level 5 kobald fighters, sorcs and rogues. The kobalds in the begining of enter the kobald would be CR.25 because they dont have class levels. The ones in kobald assault would be CR5, just like it says.

  13. #13
    Hero AZgreentea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in the Swamp
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    While there are problems with XP, it would be insane to pretend you could make D&D XP rules on DDO. Things just aren't comparable in any way, you would have to through out the entire xp system, xp bonus system, TR xp system, etc, all those paid XP boosting items, and start again from scratch.

    We would also have to encounter MANY less creatures per day and have our own abilities stripped down to make any sense.

    Yeah, it doesn't work, forget it.
    Agreed. Even compared to NWN, DDO is a slaughter fest. How long would you go in PnP before you came across as many monsters as you do in a quest like The Butchers Path, Durk's Got a Secret, or Kobold Assault? Nothing like the raids we have now would even exist in a DND game.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

  14. #14
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    Agreed. Even compared to NWN, DDO is a slaughter fest. How long would you go in PnP before you came across as many monsters as you do in a quest like The Butchers Path, Durk's Got a Secret, or Kobold Assault? Nothing like the raids we have now would even exist in a DND game.
    Agreed, that's what I was getting at in my example.

    And also the fact that they cant just put in a kobald, it has to be a CR5 kobald with character classes.

    Or spiders that cast mass heal and bull str and so on, can't just be a big spider. needs to be a spider druid at CR55.

  15. #15
    Community Member esoitl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    And also the fact that they cant just put in a kobald, it has to be a CR5 kobald with character classes.
    That is not true.
    They have the ability to put a vanilla 'kobold' into a quest whenever they want to, and in fact they do quite often.
    That goes for multiple monsters.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload