Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Druid's Curse Scaling

Jeez fix the scaling on Outbreak already. Or seriously up the XP for Hard and Elite. As it stands, the challenge far outweighs the reward.

Community Member

Default Outbreak Scaling

The scaling for this is rather ridiculous. This quest's optionals are far easier solo. I decided I was going to farm for the EH Wall of Wood and decided to put up a lfm to carry some people through. The difference between going solo and going with a group was such that I dropped the group to continue farming on my own.

When certain optionals become very hard to complete in a group, it is not very conducive to the social aspects of this game. I wanted to have a group, partly for entertainment, but found that bringing others to help was very detrimental to my success. The people who joined my lfm were not incapable either, but I guess to complete outbreak in a full group you need exceptional characters.

I haven't touched epic elite, so no clue how that works out.
    EDIT: Wrong quest.
    Last edited by Kochab; 01-19-2013 at 01:49 PM.

The Hatchery

Default Wrong Quest :)

The OP is talking about Outbreak which is the one that you have to heal the sick peeps. You are referring to Overgrowth which is where the Wall of Wood drops. I will agree, however, that BOTH of them seem to scale exponentially with larger groups.

-Shin
    Anyone know of an easy way to make cool signatures? Cause this one really sucks!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shindurza View Post
    The OP is talking about Outbreak which is the one that you have to heal the sick peeps. You are referring to Overgrowth which is where the Wall of Wood drops. I will agree, however, that BOTH of them seem to scale exponentially with larger groups.

-Shin
    Yes, I just realized this. Whoops, but the point still stands, both are a pain with groups and the experience is pretty terrible.

That whole set (pack) is probably the worst content Turbine has ever released
    Hilarious Princess....Sorry your life is so medicore after all this time..Lol, you are scared of a farmer? with a tractor....?

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiewa View Post
    Not even slightly! It's totally enjoyable.

Sorry you don't like it, but I loved playing through it and still like it.

You mean to tell me it's worse than Necropolis IV? Or the dreaming dark? Or Thernal?
    Here's a riddle for you: What do you call people who play the game for only a day and apparently know everything?

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by knightgf View Post
    You mean to tell me it's worse than Necropolis IV? Or the dreaming dark? Or Thernal?
    Yes, it is.

Each time I see this bard popping with "Oh, you've done all the job, now I will take the uber magic item, and get all the credit.", I feel irresistible urge to slay him, and any Harper which might try dislike my opinion. I understand, that this is how forgotable realms work, but still.

And quest design is also weak- go, kill, go, kill, go, kill etc.
    Add lighting bolt spamming lag spewing wisp on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Yes, it is.

Each time I see this bard popping with "Oh, you've done all the job, now I will take the uber magic item, and get all the credit.", I feel irresistible urge to slay him, and any Harper which might try dislike my opinion. I understand, that this is how forgotable realms work, but still.

Lol, this. The pack is poorly designed and it is clear that they rushed. The final portion was originally intended to be a raid.....What?

Worst chain ever.....I enjoy Thernal and Dreaming Dark
    Hilarious Princess....Sorry your life is so medicore after all this time..Lol, you are scared of a farmer? with a tractor....?

Community Member

Yes, it is.

Lol, that's typical forgotten realms. It is also one of the things a good DM should only rarely do. The PCs are the heroes in the game, and the way FR uses NPCs and 'backseat' the PCs is tiresome for players, if they care about that stuff. Admittedly in ddo I find it to be more humorous than anything, but I think they did overdo it in the currently release FR content.

As for the scaling, I agree it should not be easier to do solo than in a group.

That being said, do the Heal checks and trap DCs scale up when you are in a group? (outbreak, I almost entirely solo so I have not noticed the scaling)

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Yes, it is.

Oh, yeah, I guess. Uhm...I love machine gunning tons of baddies on my artie! So much fun for me I never really noticed the Harper was the star.

That is poor design! We're the stars and we just killed everything! grrrrrr! But the killing was super fun and I fall in the spike traps almost every time.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

With the way these quests work, I have often wondered if this item was suddenly worth a darn.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Insulated_Armor

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Obviously, as demonstrated in this thread, it's subjective, but I totally agree with you. Unlike Necro IV, Threnal and Dreaming Dark, I would happily trade this pack back in for a less-than-what-I-paid amount of TP back.

It's the:
    -absurd scaling of mob HP (though even solo on heroic Elite they have Inspired Quarter-ish amounts despite the lower quest level),
    -lack of xp,
    -in many places utterly unavoidable-through-skill (like use of walls, doorways and corners) chain lightning damage,
    -unbreakable wisp SR,
    -random aggro on plant zombies with a plethora of immunities to CC apart from Web,
    -annoying, non-deadly 20 seconds of non-moving inconvenience from indoor bear traps,
    -druid bosses casting 'Snare' to inevitably kill solo players if they get it off.
    -leashing and back to full HP boss mechanic if you leave an arbitrary and ill-defined area though it makes perfect sense to kite the slow but very hard hitting boss around,
    -nearly identical mobs in all quests,
    -bear, fish, wolf. Okay, fish = swim. What on earth was the rest about? 'Bears live in caves' and 'bears fight other bears' are the closest to sense I've heard.

There's probably more on that list too, but I just don't run it now. If anyone's reading this who knows me in game, "No, I don't want to run Overgrowth, Outbreak or Thorn and Paw." The Druid's Curse is almost tolerable.

I don't need advice on how to run the quests either, which is how I would probably respond to this post as a fellow forumite. I have completed these quests on EE and could again, but I don't want to since I just don't enjoy these quests. They're not 'fun'.

They're difficult, but not:
    'I have a sense of achievement because that was difficult and I felt challenged', just
    'What a ridiculous quest, I'm glad our stats were high enough to survive the unmitigatable damage for such a long time. Yay favor!'

If any devs read this: 1) Sorry. It is the forums though. U16 might be literally my favourite pack though! 2) The art department did a good job.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

I agree it's one of the worse packs... the xp is terrible and the overgrown plants make me claustrophobic. Monster variety is lacking too... I would have loved to face a foe like in the Moonstone game where you had this underground mud/swampdweller that could leap from beneath and instakill you if you didn't hit it fast enough.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    Obviously, as demonstrated in this thread, it's subjective, but I totally agree with you. Unlike Necro IV, Threnal and Dreaming Dark, I would happily trade this pack back in for a less-than-what-I-paid amount of TP back.

It's the:
    -absurd scaling of mob HP (though even solo on heroic Elite they have Inspired Quarter-ish amounts despite the lower quest level),
    -lack of xp,
    -in many places utterly unavoidable-through-skill (like use of walls, doorways and corners) chain lightning damage,
    -unbreakable wisp SR,
    -random aggro on plant zombies with a plethora of immunities to CC apart from Web,
    -annoying, non-deadly 20 seconds of non-moving inconvenience from indoor bear traps,
    -druid bosses casting 'Snare' to inevitably kill solo players if they get it off.
    -leashing and back to full HP boss mechanic if you leave an arbitrary and ill-defined area though it makes perfect sense to kite the slow but very hard hitting boss around,
    -bear, fish, wolf. Okay, fish = swim. What on earth was the rest about? 'Bears live in caves' and 'bears fight other bears' are the closest to sense I've heard.
    I agree with that assessment. These plant based creatures seem to combine the strongest aspect of undead and construct mobs (crit-immune, nearly CC immune) without having any of the drawbacks.

My other complaint is the time limit on the optional objectives in Overgrowth that spawn an additional chest (and the only chest that offers Wall of Wood). In a strange twist of fate the shield benefits healers and tanks while the encounter to obtain it requires pure DPS.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by pgm152 View Post
    My other complaint is the time limit on the optional objectives in Overgrowth that spawn an additional chest (and the only chest that offers Wall of Wood). In a strange twist of fate the shield benefits healers and tanks while the encounter to obtain it requires pure DPS.
    I will agree I very much dislike the timer on the optional. I am not sure, however, how it would be correctable. I don't really understand the reason for the timer tho...

*Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

bear I figured was in referance to the cave or the fact you have to take out that druid that turns into a huge bear.

The wolf I figured either tracking, as in you go through all that to find the guy, or maybe you had to be cunning/quick like a wolf to avoid all the bear traps infront of the one log.

Quote Originally Posted by MrkGrismer View Post
    I will agree I very much dislike the timer on the optional. I am not sure, however, how it would be correctable. I don't really understand the reason for the timer tho...
    To challenge players, aka give power gamers something to do. With the side benefit of course of laughing in the face of players via their frustration. You don't think Devs are going to get their kicks in some how after all the grief we yell at them with?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    To challenge players, aka give power gamers something to do. With the side benefit of course of laughing in the face of players via their frustration. You don't think Devs are going to get their kicks in some how after all the grief we yell at them with?
    Fair enough. Although I don't really find it challenging, either I'm on a character that can take out the trash fast enough to get the optional or I'm on a character that can't and I don't bother trying. Not really any challenge there. It would be different if there was a way to virtually guarantee the optional if a player did things a certain way or something. I don't really find "kill # enemies in 30 seconds" to really be a challenge. Either you can nuke them or you can't.

Wisps are the new air ele and those plant people immunities are pretty frustrating. Plus the XP frigging blows for this chain. The only good thing about it is the easy 3 comms as an end reward you can still get by zergging casual.

Even if everything stays the same in this chain, the XP should at *least* be doubled. I really don't understand the propensity to make long high level quests with ***** XP, where you need it most..

I think the druids like having animals around.

Also, they put a lot of them in cages, perhaps as a trap. At least in Thorn and Paw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast