Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The Shard Exchange

From the Release Notes:
    The Shard Exchange

This new auction house functions similar to the original Auction House, and offers a convenient place to trade equipment for Astral Shards, a currency that provides additional in-game services! The Shard Exchange is available by visiting an Auction House NPC or by selecting the Shard Exchange in the start menu (the "dragon coin" in the lower left of the screen.)

The Shard Exchange is available to Premium and VIP players.
    The Shard Exchange utilizes Astral Shards both as a bid and reward currency.
    Unbound and Bound-to-Character-on-Equip items can be traded. Equipped Bound-on-Equip items can be sold even after they are bound, but become immediately bound to the buyer.
    Posting fees for unbound items is one Shard, and posting fees for Bound on Equip items is five Shards. These fees are refunded if the auction expires.
    Premium players can currently post up to ten items, and VIP players can post up to 20 items.
    The default bid for unbound items is three Shards, while the default bid for Bound on Equip items is fifteen Shards.
    The Shard Exchange will take a 30% cut (on top of the posting fee) when unbound items are successfully sold, and a 40% cut (on top of the posting fee) for bound items.
    LAMANNIA ONLY: There is currently a bug in the Shard Exchange that causes the Exchange to take at least 100 shards from Auction profits. This is not intended, and will be fixed for the system's deployment to the live servers.
    Not sure how I feel about this. I suppose I have known it's coming, but..

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Personally, I hate it. However, that is the way that most MultiPlayer Online games are going. I'll just have to deal. Turbine was no where near the first, and won't be the last.

What I have to debate.... The fact that raid loot will be for $ale.

"The Shard Exchange will take a 30% cut (on top of the posting fee) when unbound items are successfully sold, and a 40% cut (on top of the posting fee) for bound items."

Two separate auction houses seems redundant. Are they going to combine them? Retire one? Really seems like the same thing Neverwinter online is doing.

What about that free daily roll on a 'silver chest loot table' but you can pay shards to roll on the 'gold chest loot table?' What is that about? Is that like paying for the grab bag random loot chance in other games?

Community Member

You know, in theory, I'm not completely against it. It seems to work pretty well for EVE Online, and I could see it working in a way here too...but those cuts are too much. It's one thing to take massive cuts off my fake plat...but 30-40% off my real cash? Just to be an auction broker? Nah dawg.

This is still pretty meaningless without more uses for Astral Shards, but clearly they're building this system up. I guess we'll see where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds
    "The Shard Exchange will take a 30% cut (on top of the posting fee) when unbound items are successfully sold, and a 40% cut (on top of the posting fee) for bound items."
    I read that in the context of referring to the previously mentioned BtCoE items. Raid items are BtCoA. I didn't read this to apply to those.
    Last edited by rimble; 03-05-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Ridiculous considering how this is all real money instead of gold earned ingame...

Vanishing 30-40%+5 of premium currency bought in the store... bah.

Makes me not want to play DDO period.

Raid loot would be "Bound on Acquire" and thus not usable in this auction, right?
    olganon.org - Remember to play in moderation.
    olganon.org - A videogame shouldn't be your life.

So I tried it out.

Bound to Account Gear can be auctioned (like EE Wall of Wood)
    Raid Gear (Stormreavers Napkin) cannot be auctioned, neither can collectable turn in items (war wizards robes)

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

I don't think raid loot will be on the Astral Shard AH. Its BtCoA, not BtCoE, otherwise we'd be trading raid loot already

I guess Diablo 3/Blizzard set the new precedent, and Turbine is following suite.

I also guess that this will probably become the new 'High End' commodity trading area, where-as at present top level unbound gear is traded in-channel/privately or for very large plat sums.

This is a massive step towards Pay2Win though And will drive a further wedge between the have's and the have nots, for those that can afford to use real cash to buy items with.

The final nail in the coffin for the Plat AH will be when you can turn in Astral Shards for TP (at a lower exchange value than using TP to buy Astral shards, of course).

Sigh.
    The Theorybuild Author
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstronglord View Post
    Up to this point we've all been beating around the bush. Lolth has a very small box in which you can hit her.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldyGopher View Post
    So I tried it out.

Bound to Account Gear can be auctioned (like EE Wall of Wood)
    Raid Gear (Stormreavers Napkin) cannot be auctioned, neither can collectable turn in items (war wizards robes)
    How about commendations? both heroic and non heroic?

Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    This is still pretty meaningless without more uses for Astral Shards, but clearly they're building this system up. I guess we'll see where it goes.
    Trading Astral Shards in for TP, at a lower rate than purchasing TP to buy Astral Shards with.

With the AS-AH broker fees of 30/40%, that will be some win-win economics for Turbines income.

Mark my words, you heard it here first
    The Theorybuild Author
    Up to this point we've all been beating around the bush. Lolth has a very small box in which you can hit her.

Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    You know, in theory, I'm not completely against it. It seems to work pretty well for EVE Online, and I could see it working in a way here too...but those cuts are too much. It's one thing to take massive cuts off my fake plat...but 30-40% off my real cash? Just to be an auction broker? Nah dawg.
    This for sure. Although if one sells more than one buys, theoretically one could earn shards without ever spending any real money.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Wow. Good catch.

Pretty sure these are BtCoA/BtAoA.
    The Theorybuild Author

I don't see any problem with this whatsoever, seeing how players are already selling in game loot for real world money items. Otto's box's and Turbine points for EE items. Real money trades happen every day on this very forum.

Now the only difference is, is that Turbine is just setting up an exchange. And when Turbine sets it up, it's somehow wrong?

As with the exsisting AH,. The AH is the "middle man". But players can trade directly to avoid giving up a cut.

Sure, people on the forums will cry foul, but in game it will a huge hit.

As far as creating revenue to help keep the doors open, Turbine would be stupid not to implement this.

Personally, I will not spend real money to buy in game loot. My subscription is enough. and in the end, it's a personal choice that each player will have to make.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

Cannot be Auctioned.

It appears on BTCoE items can be auctioned.

It does not appear raid loot can be sold.

Nor can store items as far as I can tell.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Epic shards and seals can not be traded.

Quote Originally Posted by LOOON375 View Post
    I don't see any problem with this whatsoever, seeing how players are already selling in game loot for real world money items. Otto's box's and Turbine points for EE items. Real money trades happen every day on this very forum.

Now the only difference is, is that Turbine is just setting up an exchange. And when Turbine sets it up, it's somehow wrong?

I don't think most of the responses have said 'it's wrong' so much as they aren't thrilled by it or that the 30-40% cut is too high for shards.

I don't think it's 'wrong,' just the cut is too high and I question what will happen to the existing AH? If they keep both, it is redundant IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTheHoon View Post
    Epic shards and seals can not be traded.
    Now that definitely bites. They should be.

Community Member

Given that Turbine is apparently fine with selling items for TP codes, I can't say that I am particularly surprised by this. I view this the same way I viewed the RMAH in diablo 3. I dislike the idea on principle, but as long as turbine doesn't put items on their ASAH, I can deal with it. As far as selling BtCoE loot after equipping it, that just feels wrong to me. Again, I can deal with it, so long as it doesn't progress to the selling of raid loot.

On another note, there is apparently a bug with the new ASAH on lamma. It is taking at least 100 shards from auction profits at the moment. Just a heads up for anyone who hasn't seen that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldyGopher View Post
    Cannot be Auctioned.

It appears on BTCoE items can be auctioned.
    So rather than "Bound" items, it is BTCoE only, no matter if it is currently bound or not? Does that fit your current tests?

If possible I'd also like to see if any BtA items can also be sold, such as any end reward out of Red Fens (named and not named) or The Syndicate (the marketplace quest set.)

That sort of testing (of both named and not named) should in theory cover the BtA tome upgrades.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast