Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Diary of a PD Solo Project

Highest level achieved yet: 3/2/2 Cleric/Rogue/Paladin - Earned 758 Favor

Updating this first post with info and videos of my character deaths.

I'm looking to embark on a solo permadeath project with some challenging rules to keep the game exciting and interesting for myself. I love DDO but the TR grind has caused me to lose interest in the game. The excitement of permadeath play is really what i need to breath some life back into it. Most of the rules I'll follow are similar to most pd guilds.

The Rules:

Only use gear that I've found, no AH or brokers.

All quests done on Hard or Elite only with no xp penalty.

Can farm for items, but only on Hard or Elite with no xp penalty.

No hirelings except for pulling levers where required.

No Quest Re-entry.

Can retain one heirloom item.

The hardest decision for me was weather or not to include the use of regular vendors or not. With no access to unlimited pots and scrolls my build choices will change drastically and it will be a far more challenging style of play. I'll be building for total self sufficiency. I'm going to attempt it for now without the use of vendors and see how it goes. Edit: After several attempts I've decided to allow regular vendors. Even with the use of them I'm finding the game play extremely challenging solo!

I think the gameplay with be extremely challenging for me, and the risks exciting.

I've got a couple builds in mind, maybe a zen AA clonk or WF arti. We'll see.

Highest level achieved in this project: 7

Heirloom past down to future hero's:

Radiance septre of radiance lore(level 4 item)

The Fallen Hero's/ The Quests they died in:

1. 1/1 Artificer/Cleric - Sacrifices - Died while incapacitated after taking falling damage and getting blasted by the Arcane Skeleton.
    2. 1/1 Artificer/Cleric - Havadasher - Overwhelmed by scorpions, went incap and bled to death. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQvdF...ature=youtu.be
    3. 1/1/1 Artificer/Fvs/Monk - The Butcher's Path - Warlock Cyressy cast hold and fireballed me to death. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhxpYy9oNEY
    4. 4/1/1 Fvs/Artificer/Monk - Repossession - Triple hit my electrical trap damage that I failed to disable.
    5. 5/1/1 Fvs/Arti/Monk - Died in spike trap in Partycrashers
    6. 5 Cleric/1 Rogue - Burned to death in Depths of Darkness fire trap.
    7. 3/Cleric/2Rogue/2Pally - Died in spike traps in Partycrasher's
    Last edited by chappyglass; 09-11-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Community Member kafrielveddicus's Avatar

Good luck chappyglass!

feel free to join pd halls of valhalla, if you are enjoying Permadeath and looking for some company!

The Narc
    Guild: PD Halls of Valhalla on Ghallanda Level 59, Website: http://valhallans.proboards.com/
    Casualnarc 21(1 Death), Repentnarc 16, Snipernarc 14, Banknarc 13, Gatlingnarc 13, Airnarc 12, Braverynarc 11, Lednarc 11, Tempestnarc 11, Holynarc 9, Repeatnarc 6, Ebuttonnarc 6 <-ALL WITH ZERO DEATHS

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by chappyglass View Post
    All quests done on Hard or Elite only with no xp penalty.
    Be careful about doing Elite Difficulty with Limited Magic Rules.
    The traps alone are enough to kill your idea. (no pun intended)
    The DC's, you can adapt to, but the damage if you fail (or are just unlucky) will allways take you out.
    Good Luck and have fun.

Well after a bit of thought i decided to go with cleric 17/ arti 3. I chose not to go with a pure arti because without the use of vendors to get healing magic for neg levels and other things, i don't think it'll be self sufficient enough considering those restraints. Cleric should cover most of my healing needs, plus potential blade barrier way down the road, if i ever make it that far. 3 Arti will give me some decent ranged damage, traps skills and a wonderful pet to pull my leavers and grab agro.

So i started off tonight as an artificer, and i quickly realized it was going to take a little bit of getting used to this style of play after power TR grinding for so long. Instead of the usual powering through the quests with pots, and hirelings as i was used to with my TR toon, it quickly became a slow but exciting, strategic dungeon crawl experience. I can't remember ever being so excited to see a cure light wounds pot drop out of a barrel!

I made my way fairly quickly though the few initial quests on korthos without any major problems. I repeated some on hard and was able to take level 2, and get my first cleric level. Next I made my way out to the wilderness area and started Sacrifices on Elite. I made my way to where the Arcane Skele optional is and considered moving past him, but then i thought i really want to complete as many optional as i can, and one of the biggest goals in this project is to bring more risk and excitement back to this game for me so i buffed up with some Arti elemental resists and moved in to kill. I sneaked up hoping my dog would grab agro and he did giving me a second to freely open fire with my crossbow. His health dropped quickly but in what seemed like a second my dog was dead and he had acid blasted me down to 2 hit points. I was still firing during this and managed to kill him. I was so startled by the huge damage i had took i walked backwards off the edge of the wall and took enough falling damage to incapacitate me. Then I watched painfully as my hp dropped one by one, hoping for a lucky roll... with no luck....i had died.

And so ended my first characters life in this project. But it helped me realize just how excited i am for this style of play. I'll probably build my next attempt the same way, but I'll just have to try and be more careful.

I'm going to keep a listing of all the characters I've made in this project and where and how they died.

Well I started my second character and quickly did all the quests on Korthos on elite, except for MP and made level 2. Took cleric for the heals and moved on to the harbor to try and get a better weapon from the quest rewards. Got a nice +2 acid heavy repeater that I'll save for when i hit level 4 from Durk's. I did a few others and was nearing level 3. I only needed 1k for level 3 and stepped into Havadasher's on elite. Turned out i wasn't prepared for the onslaught of scorpions that waited for me. They overwhelmed me, went incap and slowly bled to death. Going to try and post a video of my deaths in my record of fallen heroes in the first post.

Well after a couple false starts thing are going a bit better for me. I'm taking a slightly different approach to the build. I'm thinking 16/2/2 Fvs/Monk/Arti. Hit level three tonight for the first time with 1 level in each class. Monk level at 3 gave me diehard and toughness feats. Picked up 20 more hp from toughness bringing me to 75 currently, which I'm feeling better about. Going to try and make my way through a lot of the level 2 quests on elite tomorrow. Finished Durks, Garrison's and Kobold New Ringleader tonight with no major hitches(except narrowly missed getting caught in a witchdoctors ice storm in garrison's).

All was going well and I was within about 4k xp of level four when i decided to do the butchers path elite. I actually made my way through the whole thing with relative ease until the end and the optional trog shaman was there so i decided to try and take him out, boy did i get schooled . Posted the video up top of my third death in this project.

I really have to take my hat off to all those in the permadeath community. I have the utmost respect for the feats you guys are able to accomplish in this style of play. I am determined to to make it to higher levels in my next attempt. I really want to make it to at least level 8 next time. I think that I just need to have even more respect for the dangers I face, be extremely patient, and not be afraid to retreat from a quest if I'm outmatched. Back to Korthos(not that I made it far out of it though lol).
    Last edited by chappyglass; 01-26-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Never a dull moment. Just started my next character and was almost put down by a trog caster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1k4M...ature=youtu.be

Got an invisibility clicky belt tonight as a quest reward! Such a good find so early.

Hit level 4 for the first time in this project. Took my second level of fvs. Did waterworks on elite with no major problems. Picked up a cloak of restoration(3/rest) as the quest reward, which I was pretty happy with. Going to try and finish up all the level 2 quests on elite. Things are going pretty good!

I'm now level 5 and took my third level of fvs. Crafted myself an outfit of invulnerability tonight. Should be of help for the next few levels at least.

Now it's time for some tougher challenges. Over the next few nights, probably all at level 5, I want to do catacombs, STK, and tangleroot all on elite. Should be challenging, fun and I could definitely use the rewards!

Tonight was a big night for my undying hero.

Hit Level 6
    Got cure moderate spell and the precise shot feat.
    Finished Tangleroot elite. Short clip from part way through the quest chain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtDYajIWBws
    Picked up Moderate Fort. Belt for quest reward.
    Earned enough house P favor for their buffs, which i will be using.
    Finished second part of STK on elite, in which the final battle can sometimes be a little dangerous. Here's how the battle played out for me tonight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8sU2...ature=youtu.be

The only real problem I'm having is I don't have the search DC's to find elite traps at this level. No luck yet finding a search item, which is really not helping. Going to try and craft at least a low level one to try and help out my DC a bit. This made finishing Tangleroot exciting. I was so nervous jumping the trap at the end.

After I finish up STK my next big challenge is to do Proof is in the Poison, which I'm excited for.
    Last edited by chappyglass; 01-31-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Community Member

grz, hope you get all the way to 20

I think about trying a PD myself but dont really want to pay for vip when i already own all that stuff, still hope for a diff. unlocker that doesnt need to be bought every quest.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    grz, hope you get all the way to 20

I think about trying a PD myself but dont really want to pay for vip when i already own all that stuff, still hope for a diff. unlocker that doesnt need to be bought every quest.
    Yea sometimes part of me feels guilty for using vip to play such a restricted play style, but I'm having more fun than I've had in a long time.
    Last edited by chappyglass; 02-01-2013 at 07:20 AM.

Tonight I took on Proof is in the Poison elite for bravery bonus at level 6. I saw this as a right of passage for my character before he advanced any further. It was by far the most difficult quest for me taking 83 minutes to complete and using most of my accumulated resources(sp pots and cure pots).

I was even rendered incapacitated halfway through when I some how pulled way too many mobs by one of the acid pools. I went incap just at the edge of the acid, almost in it! But was also taking burning dot damage at the same time taking me all the way down to -8, thank God for diehard too. So close.....but so exciting. Only caught the tail end of it on video after getting incapped. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUgdUNJyZsg

The final battle went well. I was able to stealth pull many of the mobs before dragging out the big boss. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ90rKH--6o

Might go run a few easier quests to settle my nerves after that one.

Congrats!

Proof is in the poison elite is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by ddobard1 View Post
    Congrats!

Proof is in the poison elite is awesome!
    Thanks ddobard , it nearly cost me my life but was so much fun.

Sadly my characters life ended this afternoon. I was doing some of the sharn syndicate quests to finish up most of the level 4 quests on before i took level 7. I was at the end of Repossession, and was a little nervous because i remembered the traps were pretty bad. I managed to disable quite a few but, I went to grab one of the items i couldn't disable and omg...triple hit by nasty electrical damage...instant death. It took my breath away....

I was feeling so good about all my progress, and I was definitely starting to get attached this this character. Oh well...live and learn I guess.

But, I am happy with my build so, I'll probably stick with it when I remake him.
    Last edited by chappyglass; 02-03-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Over the last few days I've been making my way back up to my previous point. After making level 6 today I decided to take on Gwyland's Stand Elite. The only mobs that gave me much trouble were the priests and shamans especially when they were in pairs healing each other faster than I could dps them lol. Eventually I was able to split them up or get a couple lucky crits, putting them down.

The other problem was the traps. When buffed with my house p buffs I was just barely able to find and disable the traps. Some blew up and after my house p buffs ran out I just had to jump over them hoping for the best.

Took me over an hour to complete but I was pretty happy to be able to finish it. Since I finished the entire Tangleroot series as well I'm now within 20 favor of getting my House P Pendant.

Finished up the Sharn Syndicate series last night. Have enough xp now for level 7 but I'm going to finish up the rest of the level 4 quests on elite before I take it. Sharn series seemed pretty easy after coming off doing Gwylands elite. Here's video of me stealth pulling and killing Zared Mightyhoof from my Gwyland run the other night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sauRrInjB3Y

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast