Thread: Crafting in U17

Default Crafting in U17

The new augment system in U17 means we can use augmented base items for crafting. The augments work similarly to how epic augments work now, scaled to varying levels of power. The augment slots (not the augments themselves) add +1 (colorless) or +2 (colored) to the enchantment level of your crafted item. The augments you actually slot do not add to the enchantment level, but instead imbue the item with an Absolute ML based on the power of the augment.

What this boils down to is that 1) you can effectively craft three effects on an item, and 2) several useful crafted effects effectively have their enchantment level significantly lowered. This second part is because the enchantment level is unrelated to the augments, but instead entirely based on augment color.

Most of the augments are worthless. Who cares about +2 stats at level 4, for example? Nobody. Some are quite tasty, though. This is a list of what I think might be the best candidates for crafting with augments.

Code:
    ACCESSORIES             Augment      Crafted
    Effect           AML   Potential    Potential
    ---------------------------------------------
    Fear Immunity      8      +2           n/a
    Deathblock        12      +2           +3
    Striding 20%      12      +2           +4
    Striding 25%      16      +2           n/a
    Striding 30%      20      +2           n/a
    Archmagi          24      +2           n/a
    +6 stat           20      +1           +6
    +7 stat           24      +1           n/a
    +1 excp stat      20      +1           n/a
    +2 insight stat   24      +1           n/a
    To use an example, let's say you wanted to craft up some boots to simulate rocket boots as you approach 18, when you actually switch to rocket boots. You could craft Feather Falling (+1) of Jump +13 boots (+6) for a total potential of +7, making it an ML13 item. Consulting the chart we see that Striding 25% adds +2 and has an AML of 16, so 7+2=9 potential, which is ML17. Apply masterful to bring that down to ML15, but since the AML is 16 we end up with feather fall, jump +13 and striding 25% on an ML16 item.

Not saying those boots would be a particularly good idea -- I'd still rather wear the mire set -- but it's clearly more powerful than what crafting can do pre-U17. Of most interest for accessories is probably the fear immunity and deathblock, and then if you use crafted gear at endgame those +2 insightful stats can be nice.

Code:
    WEAPONS                 Augment      Crafted
    Byeshk bypass      8       +2          n/a
    Law bypass         8       +2          n/a
    Chaos bypass       8       +2          n/a
    Good bypass       12       +2          n/a
    Adamantine bypass 12       +2          n/a
    Cold Iron bypass  16       +2          n/a
    Silver bypass     16       +2          n/a
    Spell Power +66   12       +2           +7
    Spell Power +78   16       +2          n/a
    Spell Power +90   20       +2          n/a
    Spell Power +114  24       +2          n/a
    +6 stat           20      +1           +6
    +7 stat           24      +1           n/a
    +1 excp stat      20      +1           n/a
    +2 insight stat   24      +1           n/a
    The dr breaking can help in a couple nice ways. Adding byeshk to a cold iron demon beater is nice to cover xoriat demons, though I'm guessing that good weapon types (eg: khopesh) with an inherent metal and a red slot may be a bit pricey on the ah. Other notables would be adding law to a metalline flametouched iron evil outsider bane to cover all demons and devils and break thaarak hound dr all in one shot. Or, what I'll probably be looking for, adding good to a true chaos adamantine bludgeon of construct bane to break both marut and lob dr as well as getting virtually no "immune" messages from holy, since most constructs are neutral.

The spell power has potential for crafting one-handed major lore with level-appropriate spell power: +78 glaciation of major ice lore would be AML16 but only use +7 potential, meaning you could add +2 for the implement bonus and get a +2 glaciation +78 scepter of major ice lore, ML16. This isn't even craftable right now, since the max is glaciation +66. But the +66 version of this would have a whopping +14 potential, making it a hard ML20 instead of ML16.

Code:
    ARMOR                   Augment      Crafted
    Heavy Fort         8      +2           +5
    There are some other nice armor effects, but they are AML16 or higher and I can't really imagine using crafted armor at 16 and up. If you do, you can slot PRR up to +14, max dex bonus up to +2, and resistance/protection/natural armor all up to +7. Plus of course +7/+2 stats from colorless.

Right now, crafted Life Shield of Heavy Fort armor would be ML13 w/masterful. Using an augment for the heavy fort, the same armor would be ML8.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Most of the augments are worthless. Who cares about +2 stats at level 4, for example? Nobody.
    For the most part, true.

However, don't tell me that you've never regretted having to craft those Ogre Power items for a pure wizzy or sorc just so you could prevent being helpless when enfeebled (or to carry more loot).

I was doing a bit of crafting last night to twink out my wizzy, figuring out where to slot a +3 strength item just for that main purpose. So if you can slot it with an augment, and then have something actually useful in one of the prefix / suffix areas as it applies to the toon, it makes that useless augment actually beneficial.

Granted, I'm giving a weak example (I actually slotted it on a belt, where I literally had no other attribute worthwhile to put there), but it is something to consider.
    Last edited by squishwizzy; 01-17-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

Mainly it's useless because the AML and/or augment potential negate the value. +2 AML4 with an augment is worse than +2 ML1 with masterful.

By level 9 or 11 you can be using +6 stat items, so the AML12 +4 items seem kinda meh. I suppose a pair of +4 str of resistance +4 gloves (a staple on my leveling wizard lives, ML13) would be ML12 using augments instead, but meh, I don't see a ton of value gained there.

Still, ML12 is better than ML13, so fair point.

Community Member

The Crystals have already AML, i dont see why there has to be another increase.
    All those Weapons you mentioned can already be made without ml increase.

That leaves us a few niche things for midlevel and a lot of things for highlevel.
    Which is absolutely no balance, its just more power creep.
    As if highlevel chars where not powerful enough...

(just bought Guildslot items for 500k :P and have 8 large slot rings banked so its not as if i would need to get rid of the ml increase from Crystals, its just fail design.)
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    All those Weapons you mentioned can already be made without ml increase.
    None of the weapons I mentioned can currently be made:

-- Adding byeshk to a cold iron demon beater is nice to cover xoriat demons (Cannot currently be made without doing metalline, which means this would be a noticeable step up since you'd get to add holy or holy burst)

-- adding law to a metalline flametouched iron evil outsider bane to cover all demons and devils and break thaarak hound dr all in one shot. (This simply can't be made now, period.)

-- adding good to a true chaos adamantine bludgeon of construct bane to break both marut and lob dr (Again, this is not possible to make unless you went the clearly inferior true chaos of pure good route.)

If you meant the caster sticks then your "without ml increase" caveat makes no sense, since the crafted caster sticks now are WAY higher ml than this system allows.

Community Member

None of the weapons I mentioned can currently be made:

-- Adding byeshk to a cold iron demon beater is nice to cover xoriat demons (Cannot currently be made without doing metalline, which means this would be a noticeable step up since you'd get to add holy or holy burst)

-- adding law to a metalline flametouched iron evil outsider bane to cover all demons and devils and break thaarak hound dr all in one shot. (This simply can't be made now, period.)

-- adding good to a true chaos adamantine bludgeon of construct bane to break both marut and lob dr (Again, this is not possible to make unless you went the clearly inferior true chaos of pure good route.)

If you meant the caster sticks then your "without ml increase" caveat makes no sense, since the crafted caster sticks now are WAY higher ml than this system allows.
    Sorry,
    missed beyshk, metalline and good. guess i should sleep first and then comment.
    Anyway why do you think we will get slotted items with materials?
    Yes i think to it will be possible because base mats can have guild slots but its nowhere realistic to think you can get those, if the droprates stay as they are now.
    With all the trading, grinding, buying, etc i have done here i only gotten my fingers on 1 special mat item with med slot, everything else was small slot maximum.

I dont expect that to change, why do you? found such stuff on Lam..?
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Default Great ideas here

+1
    Character Compendium

Very useful information dude thanks a ton, it will certainly be nice to be able to do Heavy Fort without having to run Threnal which I am certainly looking forward to the other items are intriguing too for my capped fighter that I have currently, will have to see what I can switch round here and there to get a better set up.

Stoner81.

The spell power has potential for crafting one-handed major lore with level-appropriate spell power: +78 glaciation of major ice lore would be AML16 but only use +7 potential, meaning you could add +2 for the implement bonus and get a +2 glaciation +78 scepter of major ice lore, ML16. This isn't even craftable right now, since the max is glaciation +66. But the +66 version of this would have a whopping +14 potential, making it a hard ML20 instead of ML16.
    I've been thinking about caster sticks lately, and wanted to sit down and map out exactly what can be done with them.

The first assumption is that (sadly) you won't be able to get craftable BTA blanks with augments, just like how currently you can't get craftable BTA blanks with guild augments. If you can then I'll be farming sharn and red fens until the cows come home, but I'm not optimistic.

So the idea is to find two one-handed weapons with red slots to use as TR twink caster sticks. ML20 is probably the highest level worth bothering with since you can't craft superior lore. Also, it turns out ML8 is the lowest worthwhile level since you can't craft lesser (or minor) lore. Below level 8 I guess just crafting pure spell power w/masterful on non-augment blanks is the way to go, throwing away the blanks once you hit 8.

ML8: Spell Power +54 of Lore
    ML12: Spell Power +66 of Major Lore
    ML16: +2 Spell Power +78 of Major Lore
    ML20: +5 Greater Focus of Major Lore w/+90 Spell Power

This progression would minimize the need to recraft major lore, which is nice for conserving purifieds. The ML20 version is nice for consolidating greater spell focus, though as tr twink items the ML20 would really only be useful for farming up enough epic tokens to TR with.

For comparison, here's what equivalent level lootgen gets you:

ML8: +2 Spell Power +54 of Lesser Lore
    ML12: +3 Spell Power +66 of Lore
    ML16: +3 Spell Power +78 of Greater Lore
    ML20: +4 Spell Power +90 of Major Lore

Lootgen gives a marginal advantage from implement bonus, but requires finding the right combo in the ah (or questing) and then spending bank space storing them. The advantage of the augment crafting approach is a cleaner bank and guaranteed availability.

I rather like the ML20 versions, but if you don't need focus I suppose a secondary spell power +66 would work as well. Or maybe Life Shield if not a pale master.