Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by ThePrincipal View Post
    Should not be a flagging quest. This game does Mario really poorly. The physics are really bad. You can stand on invisible pixels. Bounce off walls. Hit your head on invisible ledges. and the quest itself is really boring even if you dont fall.
    Yes, it should be.

Fall off once where you bump your head, learn, move past it. Or just don't jump - the quest is mostly about walking up and moving around stuff. The trap is to jump all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Firepants View Post
    DDO is a game, games should be challenging but fun. Coal chamber is neither, it's just an insipid waste of time that is required if you ever wanna do greensteel crafting or run shroud. Please get rid of this quest and can whoever came up with it. It's horrible.
    I don't like it as well, but it can be done solo so there's no reason to remove it. And you only have to do it as many times as you need a complete item. You can still run other things for mats or buy or trade for them.

Not signed, Coal chamber was not my favorite quest by a long shot but I have my best ddo memory from that quest:

It was my birthday 6am spent most of the night drinking with a crazy guild called Lost Legions who was helping my noob wizard flag for the raid called the shroud. Even though I had been playing for a year at that point I had never flagged for any raids, they managed to take me threw all the main ones including Abott flagging, Demon Queen, Titan and a second run threw the Von's Series (went the first time with the Halfling Commandos) Vale flagging was last got threw the other quest barely remembered them save the dark trick in rainbow and something about not killing spiders. We get into Coal chamber after the guild leader goes "come on you just got one more." Never mind you the sun was starting to come up and I was bleary eyed and fuzzy tongued from drinking so much. I fell a lot, cursed even more (this was way before those air jets that make this quest a bit of a joke now even with Dungeon Alert). But in all it was memorable because I stuck to it then passed out soon after.

I run it first now whenever I am flagging any alt to get it out of the way and now its not so bad. And even on my worst run (the first one) I still had a memorable time. So no please do not take away Coal Chamber nothing is wrong with that quest IMO.
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

I am the worlds worst Mario player.

I still don't hate Coal Chamber like everyone else does. I do it, but it's slow. That annoys me more than anything, not the difficulty. The jump-into-wall-get-sent-sideways-and-down is annoying, and again ... slows progress.

Crucible has too many, for me "ok everyone wait here while I do this" pieces. That isn't fun, it's waiting. If I could ask for any change to Crucible, it would be to allow it so we could split up and do multiple of the challenges at the same time ... not to remove it from the flagging requirement.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Crucible has too many, for me "ok everyone wait here while I do this" pieces. That isn't fun, it's waiting. If I could ask for any change to Crucible, it would be to allow it so we could split up and do multiple of the challenges at the same time ... not to remove it from the flagging requirement.
    That is a fantastic idea on Crucible!

I love Coal Chamber. It's too long, the physics are a pain, my toons always get caught under overhangs, and I typically run multiple elites per life. I lead pugs through it, teach new players to run it, zerg it with guildies and in general have a fabulous time, complaining all the way.

/not signed

/not even a little bit signed

Don't Crucible Coal!
    Argonessen: Jhanrae, Weisen Heimer, Chaard O'Nay, Soulah, and more. Khyber: Dyzzie and Myssie for escape from Argo drama

Default What!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    and have them cast sleet storm.
    Lmao. Holy **** can u imagine how bad that would suck?

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I like Coal Chamber. It's not what I would choose to run 24/7, but I like it.

I am horribly unskilled at jumps, constantly fall off in coalescence chamber and periodically get lost. Despite that (or because of it), I enjoy the quest and it provides me with amusement each life.

Regardless of whether you love or hate the quest, it is different than most others, which makes it worth keeping.

Maybe it would be worth considering removing it as a flagging quest, but honestly, they made the quest a whole lot easier than it was when they introduced the jets anyway.
    Check out my new blog/website. I'm a gamer girl at heart and I'm here to stay

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danzig138 View Post
    Yet, so many quests in the game are clearly designed with a balance that accounts for green steel items, so those items shouldn't be as difficult to get as they are
    The way you say this, it almost sounds like you think getting greensteel items isn't easy.

I'll admit that it's a bit tedious, but it's certainly not difficult.

I personally farm coal chamber with or with out a party on any setting my best times include elite at level in 20 mins with only 4 kills. I find that the players that dislike this quest are the ones that have the most trouble with it. Even when i go with a party my orders are not to follow me you will complete the starting optional and work your way to the main chamber breaking everything and killing everything grabbing traps while i head up and hit the blower switch and get the first key at this point all party members may ride the lift to the first door up and assist in grabbing the 2ed key and following me to the 3rd and end of the quest for completion.
    Vertabreaker On Steam
    Vertabreaker's Power Hungry Quest TR 29 Of 40
    Encourage Self Sufficiency
    Power Gamer - Meta Gamer Since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by brickwall View Post
    I personally farm coal chamber with or with out a party on any setting my best times include elite at level in 20 mins with only 4 kills. I find that the players that dislike this quest are the ones that have the most trouble with it. Even when i go with a party my orders are not to follow me you will complete the starting optional and work your way to the main chamber breaking everything and killing everything grabbing traps while i head up and hit the blower switch and get the first key at this point all party members may ride the lift to the first door up and assist in grabbing the 2ed key and following me to the 3rd and end of the quest for completion.
    How did you do it with only 4 kills? I couldve sword the manditory "defeat the ambush" had more than 4 mobs to kill?

But- I must agree. I dont mind this quest at all, and ive never understood the dislike for it. I admit its on the longer side and cant be easily "zerged" through, but heavens forbid that- eh? I know the "first time" through it can be a bit daunting, especially if youve a bad memory/capacity for building mental maps (Using a piece of pen/paper to build your own map as you go works wonders here, seriously)- but once you have it even just partially memorized its a breeze.

Let sleping dust lie however? That quest can burn in a firepit of horribleness. Probably the only quest i genuinely LOATHE.

/not signed. I quite like Coal and normally run it 2 or 3 times each life.

Although, why is it that I only seem to ever get crippling lag when running Coal Chamber? On my last few TR lives, I have had no problems with lag and then I step into Coal and BOOM! One minute I'm running up a ramp, near the top, no mobs, not jumping and the next minute I'm suspended in mid air half way down the shaft and unable to cast or do anything.
    Jackovall (Completionist Wizard - Life 18/18) -- Gilders PDK Barb Stalwart (Life 7/7) -- Zogdor Dwarf 20 Rogue (Life 3/3) -- Taykare 18 Cleric / 2 Paladin (Life 12/12) -- Sheo Bladeforged Rogue Mechanic (life 12/12) --
    Double Deviants

Quote Originally Posted by brickwall View Post
    I personally farm coal chamber with or with out a party on any setting my best times include elite at level in 20 mins with only 4 kills. ....
    Ok how the heck did you get through the fiendish ambush with only 4 kills? Or are you not counting banishes as kills or something?

And even though I personally call the quest "The Torture Chamber" I would say keep it.

There are so many easy buttons coming into the game why do we need one more.

What I do think they could do however is to smooth out the walls a little so that being a TR / Warforged / H-Orc isn't a penalty. Don't make them ramps but there are a couple of spots that are really REALLY nasty to get around due to wall projections so I say smooth the wall a bit but narrow the ramp as well.

Recently ran this on my Halfling Kopesh fighter ... WOW what a difference!

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    Ok how the heck did you get through the fiendish ambush with only 4 kills? Or are you not counting banishes as kills or something?
    Im assuming you mean the ambush after the cube. You can run past them just like any other mob in the quest. You just dont get quest completion, but can still get the end chest. I did this a couple times solo a year or so ago, until i realized you have to kill all enemies in the ambush for end reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    Im assuming you mean the ambush after the cube. You can run past them just like any other mob in the quest. You just dont get quest completion, but can still get the end chest. I did this a couple times solo a year or so ago, until i realized you have to kill all enemies in the ambush for end reward.
    Ahhh that could be ... you don't get flagging but you get the mat then.

I can't imagine running that for no XP on purpose though, I'd rather just buy the green steel blank! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Naaaa, plotless linear grinding for XP might get tabletop players to stop showing up, but ive moduled quests similar to coal chamber over several sessions and it was quite enjoyable.

DDO has always separated itself from "those other games" with quests that require more than "move forward and kill" tactics. The Pit, Crucible, and Coal Chamber, are all quests I loved to take friends I used to recommend this game to through in order to show them the difference between a DDO quest and a WOW or EQ dungeon. Each time one of the quests where people actually have to think in gets dumbed down, this game starts to feel more and more like a rat smashing montage with "live to win" playing in the background.
    Some like platforming. Challenging?

Throwing in a puzzle, a maze, rubber walls that make people bounce off and fall down? I gave up Nintendo platforming a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    I find that particular object silly. I mean after all the idea is to stop this guy at the top - I just can't help myself wondering why killing the entire ambush disqualifies anyone from finishing it. After all - it's fully possible to leave almost everything else alive along the way, but you don't get any XP if you don't kill THAT ambush.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567