Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Coalescence Chamber Needs To Go

DDO is a game, games should be challenging but fun. Coal chamber is neither, it's just an insipid waste of time that is required if you ever wanna do greensteel crafting or run shroud. Please get rid of this quest and can whoever came up with it. It's horrible.
    Last edited by IWCoppercrest; 01-19-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: **** profanity

I like Coal Chamber. It is not an awesome zergfest like Rainbow or Running, but is very easy and fun with a ranged character that is not dependent on SP for the pits (AA/Mechanic/Artificer), and another melee for the tunnels.

Casters are the one that suffer on this quest because it is too long, with respawning mobs that NEVER move for AoE being useful and efficient, casters that love to dispel, and invisiblity not helping to zerg because of all the doors you need to open and the thin climbing paths.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Just pull out your ol Mario Brothers game, practice for a bit, run Coal Chamber.

Really once you get used to it the quest is fairly easy. Easier now that they put the "elevator" in.
    ... a soldier,
    Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard,
    Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
    Seeking the bubble reputation,
    Even in the dragon's mouth.

See more on Know Your Meme

Quote Originally Posted by Nysrock View Post
    Just pull out your ol Mario Brothers game, practice for a bit, run Coal Chamber.

Really once you get used to it the quest is fairly easy. Easier now that they put the "elevator" in.
    I know it's easy, that doesn't make it any less cruddy of a quest. It's just a dumb, tedious, bland, slog through some ugly caverns replete with horrible ramps that you can't jump too high on for fear of having to start form the stupid bottom again. It's junk.

It's the type of scenario that would have your players walking out the door if you ran it in a real life D&D game.

It is a true test and should not be removed.

Shroud items are still viable at level 25.

/Not signed.
    The Blood of the Red Dragon

I don't see why it shouldn't go...
    I mean, they've getting rid of Crucible, might as well scrub away all difficult flagging quests as well.

Let's just gradually take out all challenge if it's standing in the way of a reward. The precedence has been set - might as well follow it through.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Exclamation

Do not become complacent please. ^
    The Blood of the Red Dragon

The only change I feel Coalescence Chamber needs is cleaning up the overhanging ledges that can cause camera issues.

One of the big issues of this quest is that when it is run by a group of 6 individuals that simply race to the top you will cause DA, especially if the group is spread out.

Tips I've found that make the jumping ledge easier (outside of being a Halfling)

• Remove Jump gear and avoid the temptation to use the Jump spell (Shamans will help you remove the Jump spell if you forget this) - None of the Jumps require high jump skill, in fact jumping to high can cause the dreaded wall bounce that usually causes the falling.
    • Wear a Featherfall item. This does two things 1) helps you catch a ledge if you miss a jump 2) Gives you just enough of a boost to make the longer jumps without going over
    • Put Shields Away - It is sometimes tempting to be carrying the shield all the time, by switching to an off-hand weapons or THW or even a Bow can help
    • Don't let the Trogs overwhelm you. Stop and Kill Shaman on the way up. Six Bows pointed at a shaman will make quick work of him.

The Length of this quest deals more with mobility and character speed than its combat prowess.

I always recommend sticking together, and if you find yourself to far ahead of your group to stop to let them catch up (More to help prevent DA which will make it even harder for them to catch up). If you find yourself to far behind, communicate that with your group and do what you can to not contribute to DA. This may mean using the Air Jets to Boost your way back to the party.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

This (with removal of crucible to flag) is just dumb.

Maybe you want everything handed to you, and someone hand hold you through raid, so you don't have to do anything hard by your own?

When all harder things are removed from flagging process, then all we will see is even more clueless people appearing in raid, who can't grasp concept of doing more than killing everything as soon as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I mean, they've getting rid of Crucible, might as well scrub away all difficult flagging quests as well.

Let's just gradually take out all challenge if it's standing in the way of a reward. The precedence has been set - might as well follow it through.
    I'm not advocating the gimping of the flagging requirements, I see no reason why this quest and its requirement couldn't be replaced with another, challenging, but also fun, quest. This quest just isn't fun.

And they're getting rid of Crucible? I know it's a pain, but it's one of the few quests that so completely brings together the various strengths of the party roles that defines D&D. Real shame to lose it.

Gee I would happy if they just put stairs on the sides of the shafts. They can keep the big jumps by fragmenting the staircase but I hate falling by trying to step forward jumping and bouncing off a wall most.
    Thelanis: Bennum Morcus Lyniira Mystlen Rydlen Taliah Zarbaste

Default +1

I found someone else who thinks this game is turning into social time with random mob speed bumps what a happy day!

also +1

edit: foiled I can't give you rep cursed Mario Brothers must of stolen it

Bowserkoopa
    Mobs have feelings too

Keeper of Keenbean's Heart

When did they remove Crucible from flagging requirements?
    Anyone who disagrees is a Terrorist...

Cthulhu 2016 Never settle for the lesser evil...

I just wish they would fix the "jump straight ahead and get inexplicably pushed sideways and fall" problem.

If that wasn't an issue there wouldn't be an issue with Coal Chamber.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jarladdin Nalfesne, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Sole member of Guinness Knights (Level 105)

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Removing crucible?! How absurd

Please point me in the direction of the person responsible so I might burn down his house

i love Coal Chamber. mario jumping at times can be frustrating, but overall, i like the quest a lot. i dont want to see it go. i consider it just an onother unique quest like many other quests have their own uniqueness.

also, Crucible is out for flagging? why? i hope its just someone starting a rumor becasue taking that out for flagging is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    I just wish they would fix the "jump straight ahead and get inexplicably pushed sideways and fall" problem.

If that wasn't an issue there wouldn't be an issue with Coal Chamber.
    yeah, i do see this as a problem for some people. one thing i notice is that with the archers and casters wailing on you from afar, people rush up the side. this is what gets players really frustrated because than they fall or cant push up onto a ledge. i would say maybe the climb just needs a tweak to make the path wider.

Quote Originally Posted by Firepants View Post
    DDO is a game, games should be challenging but fun. Coal chamber is neither, it's just an insipid waste of time that is required if you ever wanna do greensteel crafting or run shroud. Please get rid of this **** quest and can whoever came up with it. It's horrible.
    Coal chamber is really fun I've ran it so many times I've lost count. I can beat it in about 20 minutes and this was pre update 14. It's like any other quest you gotta know its weakspots.
    Useful forum tricks:
    Change Fonts: [font=][/font]
    Change Color: [color=][/color]

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zorth View Post
    It is a true test and should not be removed.
    The only thing it's a true test of is patience. It's not a test of skill. It's just boring and poorly designed (and I mean that in a physical manner - the geometry is all messed up and needs to be fixed). True test indeed. . . If you think it's a true test, your skills need work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Maybe you want everything handed to you, and someone hand hold you through raid, so you don't have to do anything hard by your own?
    Reading comprehension isn't your specialty is it? If it was, you'd know he didn't ask for that. So may, just maybe, you could try and address what was said, if it's not too difficult.

I don't agree with the idea of removing the quest. I do think it should be kept, but no longer as a flag for Shroud*. Replace it with something else for that aspect. Or fix the actual physical problems with the quest as well as the instant DA issues.

* Raid flagging should not be any more difficult or onerous than any other quests. Yet, so many quests in the game are clearly designed with a balance that accounts for green steel items, so those items shouldn't be as difficult to get as they are, or all the other quests should be rebalanced. Frankly, my preference would be to remove green steel from the game entirely.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast