Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    So since it does not benefit your build it benefits no builds because that is what your my-opic view expresses. This white armor is going to be great on my unarmed defensive monk build. It also starts to breath some life back into the virtually extinct two weapon fighting ac build. I was forced to throw a shield on my 18 paladin 2 monk because it just could not tank as a two weapon fighting build because ac and physical resistance are impossible to get to high levels on non shield builds. The blue slot augment with 14 prr and this armor gives me some hope that two weapon fighting tanks might make a comeback at least my unarmed monk build is getting there.
    Yes it will be useful on a monk that wants to go for AC. One type of toon. Tempest Rangers wont gain much from it as they get shield of whirling steel. If it is changed to a smaller stacking bonus then ALL defensive toons gain. Even if it is changed to Exceptional fort it is useful for ALL defensive toons.

Lancashire UK - Keeper Refugee, Played since beta

Still missing Outfits... otherwise nice
    Dex - Leader - THΣ ЏΠΣΔЯТΗΣÐ ΔЯСΔΠΔ
    I don't do serious, it no fun

I'm loving the upgrade, but I share the same concern about the white as others have. The numbers are great, but unfortunately they are AC numbers and AC just isn't what it was before. For epic norm - hard you can completely ignore AC and if you do bother with it, an average amount will help you significantly. For epic elite, those moderate numbers, while they may provide some benefit, are overshadowed by the 150+ damage coming in for each hit. You may be protected 5% more, but you're still killed in the same 4 - 5 hits. As you need to work on a complete defensive package, the relative value of AC goes down, especially as the total number goes up.

S+B tanks feel as though the shield bonus is wasted as they get much more from an actual shield, leaving this as a set that appears to appeal to monks and twf'ers, but in a world where AC is a small portion of your defense, giving up other amazing armors for such a small boost isn't viewed as ideal, even for a toon looking for great defense.

I think this armor could have been a smaller boost overall, but to multiple stacking areas. A high armor bonus combined with maybe 5% dodge, 10 stacking PRR and possibly a small stacking boost to threat gen could have made this a defensive armor of choice for a few builds I think. The stacking HP that the set provides round out the defensive package quite nicely. People looking for protection and natural armor bonuses are probably looking for ways to squeeze them into blue slots and the difference between +7 and +8 is very small when you start looking at a toon that is aiming for a high AC.

So while white is undoubtedly the best raw AC armor by the looks of it, the actual benefit of such a piece of gear is questionable because of the mechanics of the game currently and not necessarily because the numbers are on the gear are low for what they are aiming to do.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Remember that at present drop rates are ~10 times those of Don't Drink the Water AND eTor will be run by people chasing named items long after they have all the scales they want.
    Drop rates on Lam for these things tend to be adjusted up; I'd expect the scale rate to go down somewhat. Which sucks.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Drop rates on Lam for these things tend to be adjusted up; I'd expect the scale rate to go down somewhat. Which sucks.
    It's staying the same. Per each dragon - 1 scale on ENormal, 1-2 on EHard, 2-3 on EElite.

Nice changes! Very good to see.
    ~ *Nikibrik* - The Prime Healer (All EDs Capped) | Brogburt - The Warlord (All EDs Capped) | Kallistie - The Arch Necromancer | Capricio - The Lore-keeper | Thorbim - The Outlaw ~
    Thelanis ~ <The True Path>

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    It's staying the same. Per each dragon - 1 scale on ENormal, 1-2 on EHard, 2-3 on EElite.
    TY (again) for the response.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

I think the upgraded armors look great. Including the white. Those complaining about the white armor are all assuming it's meant to be tanking armor. While it can be used for that purpose if desired, I think it's more clearly aimed at throwing a bone to TWF who care about AC. I used to have a halfling exploiter build that was dex and AC based, and the AC changes with the expansion nerfed him into oblivion, forcing me to TR into something that wouldn't be a complete liability. An upgraded epic white dragonscale robe might have been enough for me to keep the character, and may be helpful to many of the other exploiters out there who have been shelved.
    Ascent, Argonnessen ~ Cleatus Yogurthawker | Isostatic Rebound | Mohorovicic Discontinuity | Angular Unconformity
    Ghalanda ~
    Feldspathic Greywacke

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley_Nicholas View Post
    I think the upgraded armors look great. Including the white. Those complaining about the white armor are all assuming it's meant to be tanking armor. While it can be used for that purpose if desired, I think it's more clearly aimed at throwing a bone to TWF who care about AC. I used to have a halfling exploiter build that was dex and AC based, and the AC changes with the expansion nerfed him into oblivion, forcing me to TR into something that wouldn't be a complete liability. An upgraded epic white dragonscale robe might have been enough for me to keep the character, and may be helpful to many of the other exploiters out there who have been shelved.
    Agreed.
    ~ *Nikibrik* - The Prime Healer (All EDs Capped) | Brogburt - The Warlord (All EDs Capped) | Kallistie - The Arch Necromancer | Capricio - The Lore-keeper | Thorbim - The Outlaw ~
    Thelanis ~ <The True Path>

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    no!!!

Someone afraid that new loot would invalidate old grind?

It would still be a viable slot since it has multiple things going for it. Would be nice if claw gave 7 str.. but I digress.
    KASHIL -- KASHILAH -- MATTAH -- MAHGANE -- KHYBER -- ANNIHILATION
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    First, Meat-Head is exactly correct...

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley_Nicholas View Post
    An upgraded epic white dragonscale robe might have been enough for me to keep the character, and may be helpful to many of the other exploiters out there who have been shelved.
    Shield of Whirling steel doesnt stack with Shield Bonus on the White.

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    White:
    Upgrade 1: +8 Enhancement Bonus (Robes go from +10 to +11 Armor)
    Upgrade 2: +8 Protection and +8 Shield bonus to AC.
    my question is, what is the point of giveing this armor an shield replaceing effect? when i seen this shield effect on that armor for the first time, my first thought was that its an effect that means the armor is giveing more ac to the actual shield users. now im pretty dissapointed becouse it is completely meaningless when combined with shield. unless i dont know something......

my opinion of it is that it would be much better if that armor had a actual dr OR exceptional bonus to prr, but this effect seems completely useless for the ones that will probably use that armor.
    "If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong."
    — Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by bloodnose13 View Post
    my question is, what is the point of giveing this armor an shield replaceing effect? when i seen this shield effect on that armor for the first time, my first thought was that its an effect that means the armor is giveing more ac to the actual shield users. now im pretty dissapointed becouse it is completely meaningless when combined with shield. unless i dont know something......

my opinion of it is that it would be much better if that armor had a actual dr OR exceptional bonus to prr, but this effect seems completely useless for the ones that will probably use that armor.

Nah, the truth is it's a way for TWF to get moderately decent ac. I think it benefits monk-based tanks most. It used to be the most you could get for "shield" ac was +4 from a wand. Now it will be 8. Armor bonus going to 11 is a net gain of 2 or so. Protection 8 is probably a gain of 1-2.

So, for unarmed tanks, this armor gives around 7-8 more AC than what was previously available. For S&B types, it gives like 1 AC more. Interestingly, monk-based tanks are also the ones who will stand to benefit most from the 50 HP set bonus too I would think.

In other words, S&B won't really use it unless they find the 50 HPS really attractive. I don't plan on using it on my 18/2 pally S&B tank. I might use Black though since it essentially increases dps and therefore threat while still being a good AC armor. Us S&Bers love our doublestrike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighti View Post
    Shield of Whirling steel doesnt stack with Shield Bonus on the White.

This would be unfortunate. Hope they change that.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Wow there is a lot of complaints about the shield bonus.

+8 shield bonus.

The standard large sheild has a shield bonus of +2. With enchantment bonus it can get up to a +7 (that I know of), so you can get to a +9 shield bonus on a large shield, but that is going to use most of the "market place modifier bonus" that could have been used to wards other stuff.
    Tower shield? +4 if I recall correctly.

So instead of saying it is useless, esp with AC changes, why not use a sheild that has some awesome stuff on it to help you, and still have a +8 shield bonus? This may be a much lower level sheild that while useful, you out grew. Suddenly you could use it again.

TWF, THF, archery, cross bow. Ordinarily you are not offered any shield. +more to your AC.

Tempests. This is the only group that may complain, but only if they rate like a Tempest III. Splashes, nope this armor is still much better than your lvl 6/12 ability.

Now. 2 more things.

DR: I would assume this armor would not help your blocking DR like an actual shield will. And lets face it, if you aren't using a shield often, chances are you are not blocking often either.

EDs: US: Legendary Shield Mastery: Will this be usable with the armor or even Tempest? I have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Wow there is a lot of complaints about the shield bonus.

+8 shield bonus.

The standard large sheild has a shield bonus of +2. With enchantment bonus it can get up to a +7 (that I know of), so you can get to a +9 shield bonus on a large shield, but that is going to use most of the "market place modifier bonus" that could have been used to wards other stuff.
    Tower shield? +4 if I recall correctly.

So instead of saying it is useless, esp with AC changes, why not use a sheild that has some awesome stuff on it to help you, and still have a +8 shield bonus? This may be a much lower level sheild that while useful, you out grew. Suddenly you could use it again.

TWF, THF, archery, cross bow. Ordinarily you are not offered any shield. +more to your AC.

Not sure exactly if I'm misunderstanding you, but I use a ML 23 tower shield atm and it provides about 20 AC before bonuses from destiny and stance.. So, 8 is like... lower and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Meat-Head View Post
    I might use Black though since it essentially increases dps and therefore threat while still being a good AC armor. Us S&Bers love our doublestrike.
    Yes, leaning towards black for my S&B too because of the doublestrike. Might change my tempest from black to white now.

Community Member

Default Am i the only one !!!

Who thinks the ranged dmg on the blackscale just out right sux !!! ?

I know there ain't a whole lot of us left at endgame but still .

Tell me it ain't so feather , You really wanted to give us something nice but THE MANN!! caught you !!!

" haha you tried to be well rounded and i caught you !! " " Just give them the usual non epic version +2 dmg , ahahahhhahhahahahh "

Anyway ????

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meat-Head View Post
    Not sure exactly if I'm misunderstanding you, but I use a ML 23 tower shield atm and it provides about 20 AC before bonuses from destiny and stance.. So, 8 is like... lower and stuff.
    I'd say you are not misundersading me. I'd say I forgot about during the AC change, they also changed AC values of the different types of shields. Rather than just buckler/small/large/tower, they spread that out more, so you are correct.

I'm also not able to find on the wiki a listing of basic shields and their values. That is irritating.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Basic_shields

It has never been updated.

Quote Originally Posted by murf201 View Post
    Who thinks the ranged dmg on the blackscale just out right sux !!! ?
    Too little too late, murf. I called feather on that back when he originally changed around the heroic versions of the armor. You can kiss any ranged advantage and dual nature it had good-bye and never to return to it.
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 01-22-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Speaking of the white armor, I don't care about the white armor.

Blue:
    Upgrade 1: +8 Enhancement Bonus (Robes go from +10 to +11 Armor)
    Upgrade 2: Major Arcane Lore
    Shiradi casters everywhere just messed their pants in a synchronized, harmonized fashion. The green scale is nice but the Toughness can be slotted elsewhere easily, so can the resistance +6. The Acid Absorb/Resistance is situational, meaning the only real loss is the Power Store and while nice...-10% SP cost is not a make or break deal...especially with SP pot availability.

Major Arcane Lore DESTROYS Power Store, especially for my main who's routinely proc'ing every element under the sun. Will be grinding the blue immediately accordingly.

ty!
    scrollfu! meowfu! +4fu! firstyfu!
    Maarl de Gutter (ret.) ~ Gnaaarl de Mutter (ret.) ~ Nineinch Rails (ret.)
    Intragreenis Druid - Human FvS [x2] Evoker ~ Guttural de Chanter - Elf Wiz [x4] PM
    Potpourri de Foo Foo - WF Wiz [Sx3][FvSx3][Wx3] Shiradi

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast