Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

Default Tomb of the Shadow Knight - died, not sure why

This was my first attempt at a Necro 2 mission, done at level 9 on a caster druid, solo with wolf along for company (no hireling), normal difficulty, gear is randomly found stuff. I'm still using the devotion Korthos set, to convey how good my druid's gear currently is.

I went into the mission, got swarmed almost immediately while at the center dias after dropping down, and used up half my mana to stay upright. Miraculously, my druid's wolf also survived with a sliver of life, due to keeping spring's resurgence up at all times. I went to one corner, fought everything off, and then found what looked like a human in one of those "depressed" areas that has staircases leading down into them from both sides. He had what looked like a staff in his hands. After hitting him a few times, phase spiders and shadows and other incorporeal enemies arrived and clogged up the screen.

About 5 seconds later, my druid went from full hit points (about 190 hit points, more or less) to dead. I checked the combat log, but could not understand what it was that killed my druid. That makes preparing countermeasures a little more difficult.

My best guess is that keeping up death ward becomes a "tax" on my druid's mana supply that I pay for my wolf and druid, for at least this mission. Will that do it, or is there a less expensive remedy?

shadows deal strength damage to anyone who doesn't have death ward (or equivalent) up. when you hit 0 strength, you are instantly killed and turned into a new shadow, unless you have spawn screen cast (go figure, that spell actually has a use ).

i can't be 100% sure, but that is the most likely reason i can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaid314 View Post
    shadows deal strength damage to anyone who doesn't have death ward (or equivalent) up. when you hit 0 strength, you are instantly killed and turned into a new shadow, unless you have spawn screen cast (go figure, that spell actually has a use ).

i can't be 100% sure, but that is the most likely reason i can think of.
    I think this is the most likely cause, as well.

I noticed that my druid's STR had been reduced to 6 a little while before entering that last battle. He might have gotten hit repeatedly by the group of shadows that converged after attacking the human / humanoid.

I was wondering if there are mobs in that mission that have insta-kill spells or abilities, but I couldn't tell from the wiki. If it wasn't an insta-kill, then it must have been cumulative STR damage that did in my druid.

yup
    the shadows draining your str to 0 when that debuff is on you will kill you instantly even if you have deathblock
    having deathward up will help you prevent the str drain from the shadows though
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

As a kind of postscript to this thread, I've solo'd three of the four flagging quests for Shadow Crypt; Tomb of the Shadow King is the last remaining flagging quest.

For most missions, my druid just steamrolls on normal with flame blade, spring's resurgence and AOEs / DOTs, even with her poor gear. But, this is easily the most challenging chain to date, with more deaths in the three flagging missions completed than in all other adventuring combined, to date. And I'm doing them all on casual difficulty, to boot.

As for why, I saw STR drain occurring even after I cast death ward -- multiple times, so it wasn't just my imagination. I saw Spring's Resurgence getting removed from my druid. I also noticed multiple casters use Ray of Enfeeblement, in combination with STR drain, death when STR reaches zero, mediocre saving throws because of poor gear, and a low STR character (base STR is 10 on my druid). These things made the missions more challenging than most missions near my druid's level, even though I did them on casual.

If my druid didn't have firewall, then it would have been even more difficult.

On the plus side, the swimming mission, while confusing, was a nice change of pace from a constant stream of darkened hallways.

Tomb of the Shadow Knight is one of my favorite quests in the game. I love the huge variety of traps, and how the Shadow Knight is kind of bemusedly warning you here and there about them. It's one of those quests where, if you're doing it on elite near level, you have to tell people (as the trapper) "Stay behind me and for the love of god, no touching ANYTHING until I say so -- that goes double for you, ADHD Barbarian!"

The only thing that would make it more fun is if the traps were randomized. Imagine the paranoia...

Maybe the Shadow Rogue assassinated you?

Community Member

the casters simply chain dispelled you is all. lesser resto pots ftw.