Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    134

    Default

    sadly your right.......

    the intent was to make heavy armor good in the game by giving it the higher PRR.
    However because of the PRR curve you can still attain 100+ in light compared to
    say heavy armor its around a 5-9% damage reduction.... of which you tend to
    lose a higher capacity for dodge % and then of course lose any chance of evasion.

    I just TR'd a 18/2 pal/fighter heavy armor user into a 18/2 fighter/mnk light armor
    user and I hit 112 prr 25% dodge evasion with 40+ reflex....

    There is no comparison in tanking ability In EE's sadly.

    My survivability has gone way up with my only sacrifice being 20-30ish ac and 6% PRR.

    AC needs a little bump
    PRR needs a better curve and heavy armor needs a base number of starting prr no matter the level of bap or player.
    Heavy armor needs to give natural hate%

    V

  2. #22
    Community Member pokeoutyoureardrums's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In my own little existence, they like me here.
    Posts
    245

    Default

    This may not fall into the context properly, but as a fizard H. Armor makes worlds of difference.

    For multiple reasons, there are times when, having run out of sp i find it more expedient to just slap on my armor, bust out my ginsus and jump into the melee, than it would be to use pots or drain other's sp for the sake of my own. Without that armor i wouldn't stand a chance.

    Before anyone asks or comments, i have a variety of slashing weapons with effects that make up what i lack in str. Also, my attack bonus is based on my dex, which is pretty high for a wizard -well, it is when i re-equip myself for the situation. That and the heavy armor allow for a more versatile play style that i enjoy very much.

    So, in my opinion, heavy armor is fairly useful stuff to keep around.

    MULTI EDIT: kept forgetting stuff
    Last edited by pokeoutyoureardrums; 01-16-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    THREAD KILLER
    A truly intelligent person can understand the simplicity of a joke

    One lie is all it takes to undo a man
    "I am telling you, the word chicken does not have a 2 in it."

  3. #23
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldweasel View Post
    Thanks for giving me hope! As someone new to the game, should I just use DDO wiki to look up what elemental resistances I might need for a particular quest?
    No. You should go in, and if you get spanked, use it as a learning experience. Just like the rest of us had to do way back when.

  4. #24
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by verad View Post
    the intent was to make heavy armor good in the game by giving it the higher PRR.
    However because of the PRR curve you can still attain 100+ in light compared to
    say heavy armor its around a 5-9% damage reduction.... of which you tend to
    lose a higher capacity for dodge % and then of course lose any chance of evasion.
    The thing about PRR is you need to put it into context in order to understand what exactly you're getting out of it.

    15% DR is only 5% more than 10%, and 99% is also only 5% more than 94%. That extra 5% DR is much, much more powerful in the latter case than the former.

    10% DR = 1.111111x more durable
    15% DR = 1.176471x more durable
    94% DR = 16.66666x more durable
    99% DR = 100x more durable

    See how stark the difference is?

    Each point of PRR has exactly the same amount of power as the previous point (ignoring rounding). 1 PRR increases your effective health by 0.65%.

    If you want to get really into it, you can figure out exactly what is better in terms of heavy armor PRR vs. lighter armor dodge, but they're both viable options for different builds.

  5. #25
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorth View Post
    If I have Greater Two handed fighting and I Kensie Bastard Sword And/Or Dwarven Axe and I take the feat and use a shield does it work?
    If I can decipher your question: are you asking do you get glancing blows w/d.axe or b.sword with THF feats while S&B? If so, then the answer is yes.

  6. #26
    Community Member AbyssalMage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zirun View Post
    The thing about PRR is you need to put it into context in order to understand what exactly you're getting out of it.

    15% DR is only 5% more than 10%, and 99% is also only 5% more than 94%. That extra 5% DR is much, much more powerful in the latter case than the former.

    10% DR = 1.111111x more durable
    15% DR = 1.176471x more durable
    94% DR = 16.66666x more durable
    99% DR = 100x more durable

    See how stark the difference is?

    Each point of PRR has exactly the same amount of power as the previous point (ignoring rounding). 1 PRR increases your effective health by 0.65%.

    If you want to get really into it, you can figure out exactly what is better in terms of heavy armor PRR vs. lighter armor dodge, but they're both viable options for different builds.
    Not following your logic.
    DR = Damage Reduction
    PRR = Is a different beast all together that uses an algebraic/Trig equation.

    And what is "More durable". I don't usually follow AC threads, and I am assuming you are using terminology from said threads here without defining said terms. I followed the initial threads of PRR and understood the graphs Turbine provided. But I don't remember any of those initial threads mentioning "More durable."

  7. #27
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Not following your logic.
    DR = Damage Reduction
    PRR = Is a different beast all together that uses an algebraic/Trig equation.

    And what is "More durable". I don't usually follow AC threads, and I am assuming you are using terminology from said threads here without defining said terms. I followed the initial threads of PRR and understood the graphs Turbine provided. But I don't remember any of those initial threads mentioning "More durable."
    PRR gives damage reduction in % form. It reduces damage by 10%, it's 10% DR. It's just a fast, simple way of writing it.

    If somebody is 1.111111x more durable, it takes 1.11111x more damage to kill them. In other words, it takes 11.1111% more damage to kill them. 2x more durable means it takes double the damage (200%) to kill.

    If you want to compare how effective %-based changes in damage are, you have to look at how many attacks it takes to kill, not the %, which is what I was correcting the person I quote on.

  8. #28
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ape_Man View Post
    Heavy armor is very good now. PRR always works and or places where AC does work it's much better with the U14 changes.

    At low levels Full Plate of invulnerability is practically god-mode.
    Where does one get said plate armor?

    If craftable, is it craftable by a low-level char (1st char in DDO), or should I try to find one on the AH?

  9. #29
    Community Member Artos_Fabril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldweasel View Post
    Where does one get said plate armor?

    If craftable, is it craftable by a low-level char (1st char in DDO), or should I try to find one on the AH?
    Unless you really enjoy crafting, for a first character (at low levels) you should just sell your essences and buy the crafted items you want. Once you are not scrounging for coppers and have your first peice of GS gear and are getting ready to think about TRing, then take up crafting if you want to make twink gear for TRs or alts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload