Thread: Arti question

Community Member

Default Arti question

what are some of the best crossbows you can go with for a final build?

and what docent and collar you got on your iron defender ?

Community Member

Talking

anyone

Community Member

I use an Alchemical Heavy Repeater on my final build. It's Flametouched Iron Tier 3 Earth/Earth/Water. I have not added the red slot upgrade yet, but based on yesterday's dev post, I will probably wait for Update 17 to add another 1d10 elemental damage.

My main backup is a good old trusty Mineral 2 Greensteel Heavy Repeater. Breaks almost all DR's and in my opinion, is still pretty respectable damage.

After that, I have a number of other weapons that are situationally useful, including:
    Random Gen Nightmare Virulent Poison with Festival Frost added
    Random Gen Paralyzing weapon with Festival Frost
    Epic Silver Slinger (for undead)
    Epic Calomel (for dragons)
    Epic Doublecross bow (almost never use this but hey, it's epic!)

If I wasn't so darn lazy I would probably add specific weapons against constructs, outsiders, etc, but I'm too lazy to find good weapons on the AH and even if I had them I'd probably be too lazy or forgetful to remember to switch at appropriate times. That's why I like the alchemical option. Gives you a bunch of effects all in one and is generally an all around good weapon.

Having said all that, I get probably 2-3 times more damage from my rune arm anyways. Nothing beats a high level version of Corruption of Nature on an acid specc'd arti with the energy burst effect from Draconic Incarnation. My rune arm does 300-400 damage on a regular 'hit', up to 1,200 damage per crit (21% of the time), so that averages out to as much as 2,800 damage every 6 seconds. Then add in energy bursts every 30 seconds that do around 2,000 damage on a regular hit, up to 7,000 damage on a crit. Crossbow damage on top of that is just a bonus.

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Needle is obviously going to be the best general dps repeater. Only problem is that it doesn't break any dr. If they ever fix Shiradi's stay good stance to apply the good dr bypass, then you will pretty much never need to swap Needle out. Before I got Needle I primarily used a Lit2, which is still a top dps contender and can break dr.

Beyond that, the usual assortment of banishers, smiters, disrupters (or epic silver slinger). I got lucky and found a banishing heavy repeater of the rebel (anarchic and good blast) on the auction house for pretty cheap. It tears through devils. The perfect random lootgen combo such as that is going to provide some of the best dps, but that is just pure luck to get.

I haven't made an alchemical but I hear they can provide some very nice cc.

Another poster on the forums pointed out the Grave Wrappings and Epic Blademark's Docent for the dog. Slot the docent with heavy fort and either str6 (for better trip DCs) or con6 (for moar hp). That's the best combo I can imagine. I'm still working on the docent for my dog, but very happy with the wraps.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Default Dont bother

Crafitng Alchemical, The Quill is above and byfar the most DPS you can get out of a Repeater. Go farm CITW and leave cannith alone unless you want heart ache.

Community Member

I wont speak to repeaters as I dont have VoN, so I just used Cormyrians, which seem to work fine if not your min-max best option. Good way to get a paralyzer with some decent other mods, though. I tended to switch to my Undead-beater, my Devil-beater, and my Construct-beater, though, as necessary - works really well.

For dogs, Gorgon Docent is always a popular option - especially for soloing - as its hard to beat the Stoneskin proc-on-hit for extending your dog's survivability, though less so when you have the 8/adam DR on him already.

I also like Cormyrian handwraps converted to a collar for the dog...you get a basic elemental proc, a Shroud elemental proc, and a CC ability all in one. Plus, I dont know if its just me or not, but when I equip a converted Cormyrian collar, I get double mods - the base mods, plus an additional set of mods that resets whenever you re-equip it, so you're basically wearing 2 collars at once, one you can reroll at will for situational use. Obviously a bug, but one my Arti definitely enjoyed until I TRed him

Community Member

thanks for the info.

If you're into TRing and staying with repeaters, then you're going to want a GS heavy repeater. Pos-pos-pos is a great first choice (and fantastic against undead - I pair mine up with the Hand of the Tombs for mid level undead killing). It's cheap for ingredients and does a ton of damage. Lit II costs more in ingredients and time, but does even more damage - and both can be used from level 12. Until level 19, no other heavy xbow beats those for damage.

Alchemical xbows do even more damage, but take a lot more time to build. The tier 3 versions can be used at level 20. I am in the middle of crafting 3. I'm going to do an adamantium water-water-water, a silver earth-earth-earth and a good fire-earth-fire (I believe that's the max damage one, but fire isn't always so useful).

As per the above posters, Needle is the best all around damage producing xbow, but it'ts min level 23 and will require an artie spell to overcome DR.

I also very strongly recommend smiting (for House C quests), banishing (for Vale quests), paralyzing (for levels 12-20; it becomes increasingly weaker at high levels b/c of saves) and nightmare if you want vorpal procs (although ring of the stalker also does instant kills, and adds it to any weapon you have).

To top it off, you can perform the force rituals (at the stone of change) on any of the above.