Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default Serious discussion about loot rules

Server down, so time to discuss in the forum.

I raid and quest all the time , both with guild and pugging, every content. Being Cannith a small server I can say that I know almost everybody among players who have been around for a long time.
    But honestly I still haven't figure out what people think about loot rules.
    I see much whining and upsetting all the time and I also see everything happening in the chests. Everybody seem to follow different believes.

-So, what is your opinion on the loot rules? What do you consider fair or unfair? What bring you to /blacklist pople?
    Cannith Server. Member of Alleanza degli uomini liberi.

udorico-malodei-duenote-ossobuco

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

If it drops in my name; it is mine; to do with as I wish. It is not yours, or anyone else's but mine.

If it drops in your name it is yours; not mine; not anyone else's but yours.

if it drops in someone else's name it is theirs; not mine; not yours' they can do with it as they wish.

But of course politness and fair play should be followed. give consideration to others' wishes.

Honor agreements that you agreed to.

Don't take advantage of a mistake, like grabbing something that got put in your name by mistake.

I would also like to add not recalling from the quest until all named loot has been taken from the chest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    But of course politness and fair play should be followed.
    opi

exactly.
    This topic is all about that.
    Can you explain better?

Community Member

Your loot is your loot is the only viable policy. Anything else is hard to enforce and causes drama.

A few tips:

- If you are looking for a piece of loot that usually rots in the chest, ask for it before the chest is popped. People may see that Docent of Grace and recall or close the game in disgust.

- ****ing off the person who pulled the loot is a bad idea. I got a few rare items passed to me because the original looter was disgusted with all the greedy people demanding for it to go up for roll. Leaving it to rot at the chest is common too.

- Passing loot to your friends is good practice. Don't let anyone pressure you into putting an item that a friend needs up for roll.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    - Passing loot to your friends is good practice. Don't let anyone pressure you into putting an item that a friend needs up for roll.
    I'm mainly interested in this. So it is a common practice on Cannith? I've never paid much attention to how items are passed inside chests unless a roll is involved. I've always assumed that passing something to a guildie/friend in a PUG run instead of putting it up for roll was wrong. It has been brought to my attention, however, that it's quite common even among high ranked guilds...confirmation would be nice
    Cannith - Juzam, Water Savant II Ranger 6 Monk 2 AA/ Orocarn, Stalwart Defender III Monk 2 / Taigongwanng, Sorc TRing - Guardiani di Eberron

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FengXian View Post
    I'm mainly interested in this. So it is a common practice on Cannith? I've never paid much attention to how items are passed inside chests unless a roll is involved. I've always assumed that passing something to a guildie/friend in a PUG run instead of putting it up for roll was wrong. It has been brought to my attention, however, that it's quite common even among high ranked guilds...confirmation would be nice
    Personally, If I am in a run with guildies/friends and a shard/item/seal... wtvr I dont need drops in that chest I will be 100% all of the time asking guildies/friends if they need it before any roll will be considered. Loot that can be beneficial to the people I know/run with all the time will always go to them over random ppl I have no clue about.

Community Member

Yup it's common practice.

Some guilds try to bully the newbies into putting stuff for roll, I usually call them out on it. The people who are not on big name guilds are the ones that need the loot the most, anyway.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Community Member

I (and my guild) have been squelched for a long time by a whole guild (not a low one, but one of the highest on server) because I got passed by a guildmate the claw gloves seal.
    Additionally, I usually see a lot of crying and drama over any trade you decide to do with a loot under your name, with people bragging about "you should put it up for roll ecc ecc".
    What is clear to me is that everybody has his own views, so running with the "your loot is your loot" idea, could seriously put you in troubles.

1. My loot is my loot.
    2. Your loot is your loot.
    3. If you're a dink (as defined by the other 5 or 11 with you. Might vary from quest to quest) about loot, expect to be put on blacklists.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

I learnt the hard way that "Your loot is your loot" comes with some regret sometimes.

I've had a bad experience in the past where I got greedy and decided to go with a random player's offer instead of giving the item to a friend for free.

From that day forward, I've always put it up for roll, no exceptions to offers. The winner of the roll can do what he wants with it.

1) If it popped under my name, I can do whatever the hell I want with it.
    2) If it popped under your name, you can do whatever the hell you want with it.
    3) If it's up for roll, it's one roll per person. You do not roll for something you don't want so you can pass it to a friend.
    4) Current life takes priority over future life. If you're doing DQ, and 5 casters all roll on a torc, be gracious on your barbarian and don't roll on it...even if you are TRing into a blue bar later. Unless of course, those blue bars are rolling for a second torc (a spare for breakage, or to epicify it), then all bets are off.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Community Member

- my loot is mine - i can keep it, pass it to a friend, or put it up for roll
    - your loot is your loot - you can keep it, pass it to a friend, or generously put it up for roll
    - If I put something up for roll, no proxy rolling - and yes I will state no proxy rolling - if you do this, no one from your guild will be allowed to roll on anything I put up for roll again
    - If i put something up for roll and exclude certain classes - it is my right to do so for whatever reasons i have
    - If you put something up for roll and exclude certain classes, that is your right to do so
    - all potions of wonder must be consumed on the spot
    boo-tai jung-tzahng-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We love fansites!
    <*cough*B.S.*cough*>
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post
    There will be bugs!

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

What I have learned is that everyone has a slightly different version of what politeness, fair play, and loot rules mean, but all are convinced that their definition is the 'universal' one that we all obviously know and understand. LOL Personally, I think we spend enough time fighting over real resources that matter, that fighting over virtual ones strikes me as silly. However, I respect that others take it very seriously.

I do the best I can simply by listening to the chatter at the chests to figure out what kinda group I'm in and go with the flow. If I join a "pass x item to me" quest I honor it by passing x item. If I'm not willing to pass it, I just don't join the group. My life will not end if I don't do that quest with those people. I have no problem with people posting these groups, and as we have seen on recent threads others find it morally reprehensible.

My guildmates find selling bound loot in chests offensive, so I never entertain offers for my loot becuas the culture of the guild I'm in is pretty clearly against it. While I don't think it's inherently unreasonable to want something of value for something of value on it's face, I also prefer to respect my guild's culture. Other people have no problem buying and selling raid loot.

I have no problem with people who are helping a friend try to get something. If you come in a hound with me, and pass it to your best freind, no problem. I have asked freinds plenty of times to help me do thise quest for the bazillionth time to get this stupid item. I don't begrudge others the same. I think people working together is a good thing. Other people go nuclear over it.

It's all just clothes for our toy dolls in the end. And while we may get a general concensus with a large portion of the players agreeing on an etiquette, there will always be another portion that doesn't.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

I won't get upset but things that might annoy me are:
    - proxy rolling if not expressly approved
    - rolling with the intention of selling when others could use an item

As guidelines I'd say be polite, respect others, avoid over the top emotional reactions.
    Last edited by stoerm; 01-14-2013 at 11:22 AM.

I would add one more thing. Even if I follow mostly 2 of the previously stated rules (my loot is my loot and guildies/friends come first) I personally have an exception: I don't loot something that my class do not need/can use and neither I pass it to a person who does not need it. This should be obvious, but I saw more than once people rolling/looting stuff just for the sake of bragging and linking it.. For example I'm not passing a SoS to a wizard (not talking about a guy who is doing completionist), especially if I know which is the guy's plan for his last life. I'll ignore his roll and pass it to the highest rolling barb (or similar class).
    As I said this should be common sense, but I saw more than once people looting and linking this kind of rare items, just to brag...

Do what you want with your loot
    if it is put for roll and you just want it for your "Collection of Rare Items" or to pass it to someone else who needs it
    Then Do Not Roll on the Item
    If an item is put for roll then everyone who wants it has their fair chance, dont need 5 people rolling for one person which I'm Sure we can All Agree is Not Fair =/
    Officer Of Templar - Now Recruiting
    KennyBurns - Electric Savant DPS~ KennyFails The Completionist - Rogue Stick Life 15/15 Completionist ~ KennyHeals - Fvs Healer~ KennyRanges - TWF Manyshoot Of Cannith

It's been that way since I can remember. Every high ranked guild has done it, whether they admit it or not.

Problem is, "Your loot is your loot" is only valid until someone else in the party wants it. Then it's "Your loot is your loot, but I'm gonna need a tampon if you don't pass it to me.".

Topic's been beat to death with a bone club repeatedly.
    Snarfity snarfly snarf.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyburns View Post
    If an item is put for roll then everyone who wants it has their fair chance, dont need 5 people rolling for one person which I'm Sure we can All Agree is Not Fair =/
    OFC that too

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belsogno View Post
    opi

exactly.
    This topic is all about that.
    Can you explain better?
    Well, for BTC raid loot, I do not just grab it out of the chest. I wait a moment and consider if I really want it and plan to use it often enough.

I consider that some items are clearly intended for certain classes.
    I have offered a questionable item to specific classes before.

If there are die rolls, they should be fair.

People should not lie, take advantage of mistakes, or take advanatage of a noob...etc.

I am kinda against rolling just to give it to someone else in the party.

...although, always remember the first rules I mentioned.
    specifically, if it is not in your name it is not yours.... so don't stress too much if someone does something sneaky with someting that is not yours.

This is the Internet.
    People are greedy and rude.
    Some are just noobs and don't know any better.

But I value playing with people who show honor and integrity in the game.
    And I wish to avoid playing with those who do not.

DDO used to be small enough that reputation mattered somewhat.
    Not sure about today...seems I go along time without seeing the same people in a PUG.

But I have tried to build a rep in-game of being a "good guy".
    Even more so as I have read forum posts and thought about things over time.

The game should be fun.
    Pulling nice loot is fun.
    But fighting over nice loot is not fun.
    Last edited by Talon_Moonshadow; 01-14-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

If i need it, i loot it, unless a guildy need it more, or its just a little use for me, but worth a lot more for a pugger. If i may need it one day, its usually up for a roll as well for those who can use it right at the moment. :P
    So basically 95% of my named bound loot up for a roll.

When i put up something for roll, i dont say what are my rules. If a caster rolls for a sos, or a fighter for a torc, etc for one or a few TR lifes, i just ignore them, unless non else rolls for it.

And i never blacklist people because loots.
    Not long ago 3 or 4 barb (all with eSoS and eAGA) rolled for the bow Pinion vs an AA.
    Yeah, the AA was me, but meh, its just some pixels.
    Buuut of course it was a little disappointing to see that after i healed their a$$es on my fvs. :P

I think the first 2 part is true to most of my guildies as well.
    Cannith
    Csodaszarvas
    Valyria - Hulkie - Sillymilly - Killberry - Silvyanna - Walour - Corgak - Thalrian-1

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast