Default Requesting build for assassin

hello again, im here today to ask for a build for an assassin i want to make.

i can craft Epic chimeras crown / chimeras fang / greetings, so i was thinkin to take advantage of those, makin an assassin with dragonmark feats, to unlock the weapon too. though im afraid that ill be gettin too much aggro, with all the Incite. ppl advice me to work with radiance guard and bluff. that makes sense. im waiting for your thoughts!!

just have in mind that i have no helf/horc unlocked, classes r all unlocked, in case of multiclass, the build will be 32 point.

thnx!

There are two basic build philosophy for rogue assassin.

a) Traditional -- This build is primarily STR, DEX and CON taking advantage of the added sneak attack dice that come with the assassin PrE. It begins with a low to moderate INT score and only enough DEX to qualify Improved Sneak Attack after tome use. Remaining build points go into STR and CON. Stat increases generally go into STR or are split between STR and DEX as needed to make sure ISA can be had.

b) Melkor's Master Assassin -- Although he and I debate this build a lot, it is a great template for a person who wants to maximize the effect of the Assassin II assassination enhancement. This requires a high INT followed by STR, CON and enough DEX to qualify GTWF with tomes. All stat increases go to INT. The area of debate has to do with whether the build should also try to incorporate ISA. But, it is a great template for anyone wanting to get the satisfaction that comes from instant assassination.

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    There are two basic build philosophy for rogue assassin.

a) Traditional -- This build is primarily STR, DEX and CON taking advantage of the added sneak attack dice that come with the assassin PrE. It begins with a low to moderate INT score and only enough DEX to qualify Improved Sneak Attack after tome use. Remaining build points go into STR and CON. Stat increases generally go into STR or are split between STR and DEX as needed to make sure ISA can be had.

b) Melkor's Master Assassin -- Although he and I debate this build a lot, it is a great template for a person who wants to maximize the effect of the Assassin II assassination enhancement. This requires a high INT followed by STR, CON and enough DEX to qualify GTWF with tomes. All stat increases go to INT. The area of debate has to do with whether the build should also try to incorporate ISA. But, it is a great template for anyone wanting to get the satisfaction that comes from instant assassination.
    I am a huge fan of 12 rogue assassin 2 X class variants. Honestly that is quite possibly better then a level 20 rogue or level 18 rogue 2 X. I am working on a 12 rogue assassin 2 6 monk 2 paladin myself. That build should have awesome surviveability yet do decent dps. 12 rogue 6 ranger is an excellent twf/manyshot character. 12 rogue 6 fighter is a nice tactic build with good surviveability, etc..
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

thnx for the replies, though i still could use some advice over the dragonmark feats and the agro management, sience i never had a toon taht used any of those. and i guess aggro is bad for rogues!!

Aggro management comes from either being in a group and letting others make the first attacks or by splashing strong second/third classes so that you are able to handle the beatings. On a very few builds the pure rogue might be able to do this, but it is likely getting a lot of help from stockpiled gear or is played by an exceptionally good player.

Skills that help are diplomacy and bluff. Diplo will push aggro to some other character -- useless if you are soloing. Bluff gives a temporary window for added sneak attacks -- it really doesn't manage the aggro as much as opens the mob up to dying faster.

If UMD is high enough it helps to summon a monster to fight for you. Let it take the aggro. Also if UMD is high enough the artificer flame turret is useful as it seems to grab aggro from anything it hits.

Proponents of the Assassin II INT build will say that you control aggro by killing the mobs before they know you are there. Dead mob = no aggro.

As far as the dragonmarks. I am building a human that uses them at the moment. He has been on the shelf lately as I level another character. The dragonmarks take up 3 feats. Be sure you can afford that with the feat selections you are making.

This is a reason to splash fighter or monk onto the build -- both give additional feats. This is a way to get extra feats but it comes at a cost to the build in terms of sneak attack dice -- and, ultimately, total damage. Any splash is an almost instant killer to an Assassin II INT build unless you don't plan to do much epic questing.

As a pure rogue you have 7 + 2 feats, right? TWF, ITWF, GTWF, Toughness, Precision, ISA, Improved Crit make 7 => go human and you can take all three dragon marks. I think it's an awful lot to invest for those two items, but you could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    As a pure rogue you have 7 + 2 feats, right?
    Not exactly.

You have 7 general feats that can be used for anything in the common feat list. You have 4 class specific feats that do not include any of the common feat list but are unique to the rogue class. And, if human, you have 1 bonus feat that can be used for anything from the common feat list.

Functionally, this means you have 8 feats to fit in your TWF/ITW/GTWF, dragonmarks x 3, toughness (?), power attack (?), precision (?), etc. It is actually very tight and will be very dependent on where a player's priorities are with feats.

I was referring to epic feats with the "+ 2".

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    I was referring to epic feats with the "+ 2".
    Ah, you'd use epic feats on mundane choices? At least 1 should be (in most cases, ISA). So with human 9 available feats I guess.

Still tight. But, I didn't consider the epic feats.

thanks alot for the answers. 1 more thing. u think pure rogue is better choice from splash with, maybe fighter, for more feats?

so far i end up with this (the order is random)

Human pure rogue (8 common feats, 2 Epic feats, 4 Rogue feats)

Common Feats:

2wf/i2wf/g2wf
    toughness
    power attack
    imp crit slash
    dragonmark x 3
    (so far 9 feats, 8 from common list and plus 1 from the epic lvl feat slots)

Rogue feats:

Oppotrunist
    Imp Evasion
    Cripling Strike
    Defensicve Roll

Epic Feat

Improved Sneak Attack

what do you think? thnx for your time!
    Last edited by nikos1313; 01-14-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nikos1313 View Post
    i can craft Epic chimeras crown / chimeras fang / greetings, so i was thinkin to take advantage of those, makin an assassin with dragonmark feats, to unlock the weapon too. though im afraid that ill be gettin too much aggro, with all the Incite.
    I wouldn't advise doing that on a rogue: you're too feat-starved to take the DMs, unless you MC, in which case you're giving up sneak atks & Assassinate DCs; and as you say you'll pull a lot more aggro, which is bad for a rogue who relies on sneak atks (not to mention not being dead).
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!