Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    You need to read the OP's post again. He didn't simply ask for a build that can successfully solo. He asked for a build that is powerful and can easily solo. He specifically mentions he likes the idea of a melee/caster hybrid Favored Soul. So we're looking at five stats. Strength for melee damage, Dexterity for TWF, Constitution for HP, Wisdom for spell DCs, and Charisma to actually access the spells.
    You need STR, minimal CON and CHA. Plenty of people have run FVS to 20 with that format.

STR 18 to start = 16 build points + all level ups
    CHA 14 to start = 6 build points
    COn 14 to start = 6 build points

If you have 32 point builds, toss some into INT. You could drop the STR to 16 and do the same if you like. Feat wise all you *REALLY* need are Toughness, Empower, Maximize and Quicken. The rest can be a combination of PA, maybe Cleaves, Improved Crit, whatever.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

First off, for a first character/first life character without tomes/past lives for extra build points you are not gonna be anything approaching a good caster/melee hybrid without a serious slog first, so I would recommend a straight melee FvS build first so you can gather gear and tomes for your next life, where it will be much easier and more of an option as you will have the gear and tomes.

Now here is my FvSes current build (he is only level 10 ATM, so I am not too sure how well this works at end game, but it should work fairly well):

Note: this is the exact build, he is a legend life character with tomes in every stat, and he is TWF, so I will give recommendations after I put out the build on to how to change it to a first lifer:

Class Split: Favoured Soul 17/Monk 2/Fighter 1

The point of this class split is that you get evasion, 3 bonus feats, all the self healing of 17 levels of favoured soul, and you get wings of faith, which is super fun.

human (for skill point and the feat)

Stats:

Str 18 (all level ups here)
    Dex 14 (I have a +3 tome so I can get itwf at level 12)
    Con 16
    Int 8
    Wis 8
    Cha 14

Level Progression:
    1-2 monk (get evasion early, and be able to kick a$$ with unarmed attack speeds)
    3 fighter (getting the bonus feats early on works well for my build)
    4-20 favoured soul (yay divine power!)

Feats:
    1-Stunning blow
    (M)1-Toughness
    (H)1-Power attack
    (M)2-TWF
    3-Cleave
    (F)3-Khopesh proficiency
    6-Maximize
    9-Quicken
    12-ITWF
    15-IC:slashing
    18-GTWF
    21-Great cleave
    24-Overwhelming crit

Skills:
    UMD
    Concentration
    2 points into tumble
    When I get my +2 int tome start boosting balance

Epic destiny:
    Legendary Dreadnought:
    Tier 1-Legendary tactics 3/3, strength +1
    Tier 2-Strength +1, Momentum Swing 3/3, Improved Power Attack
    Tier 3-Lay waste 1/1, Critical damage 3/3
    Tier 5-Advancing blows, Devastating Critical
    Tier 6-Master's blitz (this is actually an amazing ability if you can manage to get the kills heh)

Okay, now to modify the build to a first life no tome or twink gear person.

First off drop TWF, swap those for THF. Then take out khopesh prof and put in a feat of your choice, maybe putting ITHF there, and putting empower heal or extend where ITWF is now.

Then drop cha down to 11, you will only have level 8 spells at most, so with a +6 item and one enhancement into charisma (from favoured soul, not human) you can cast those easily.

I would put the stats as this instead:

str 17
    dex 14
    con 15
    int 10
    wis 8
    cha 11

which should equal 32 build points, the str at 17 will help qualify you for overwhelming crit without a tome, the dex allows you to get some decent evasion, con.....well......that is a nice con score for a first lifer IMO. The int is so that you can get UMD, concentration, and balance without a tome, and I already stated about the cha.

I would keep the ED plan the same, but using fury when you get over to it would be good as well.

For leveling tips:

Levels 1 to about 5 or 6 I would just fight unarmed as stuff goes down fast, and unarmed attacks are brutal. At about level 6 or 7 grab some decent THF weapon (which server are you on BTW, if on argo I can hook you up with a nice greataxe or some such) and use cleave and stunning blow to destructive delights.

Get a decent spell point item (I actually only use a power X ring instead of my vibrant purple ioun stone, as I prefer my melee alacrity trinket, which also has devotion +48 on it) and at level 9 keep yourself up with a few cure serious potions, and a maximized quickened cure serious wounds spell and everything is just gravy.

Once you get quickened heal you are truly indestrucible. Just use that on yourself when you get too low, and even without empower heal you should heal many if not most of your hit points, and if it is truly an emergency also hit quickened maximized cure crit wounds, and you aren't going to die then heh.

For gearing at cap, I would strongly recommend getting a perm blur item (plenty of those in the u16 chain, or from greensteel) to boost your defense, work on getting your epic mask of comedy for a devotion/healing lore item, and get some kind of heavy fort item (epic claw set would be nice, but not necessary) so that you don't need a minos legens for heavy fort.

For armour, if you can get it, get a white dragonscale robe. This will serve all your heavy fort and defensive needs, and can be used past level 20 as it is still decent gear, and one of the best robes you will get for this build (unless you turn the gaming up a notch and get the cormyrian red dragonscale robe, which judging by the fact that you don't have any tomes you are not getting that).

Over all, just play to have fun, and I hope this gives you some good pointers.
    Ckarlock Alarm (PDK bard 7 fighter 6 rogue 2) life 17
    Dragonbloodz Power (Drow sorc 20/epic 8) life 6
    Sorinsal (Drow rogue 20/epic 5) life 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    What I think is OP is anyone who uses implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill to be more effective in quests then I am - so I then find the time to post complaints about their use of implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill thus making me OP on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    Here's a new flash for the people who have not evolved and still play sponge toons: you serve no purpose. it's rude, but it's the truth. Divines are powerful, have been for a long time. They don't need you. If you need them you add no value to the group.

Community Member

Tomes may seem expensive now, but by the time you hit level 10 or so, +2 tomes start to become affordable on the Auction House if you're smart with your plat. If you're very smart with your plat, they become cheaper sooner. You also get a free +2 tome of your choice when you hit 1750 favor. You should be able to buy a full set of +2 tomes by the time you hit 20. +3 tomes are a bit pricier but still readily available.

My first toon on Khyber was my Jack of Fists build, using starting stats of Str 14 Dex 15 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8 (28 point build). Like yourself, I wanted a powerful, self-sufficient build for soloing. The Jack also contributes well to a group, as the Jack can help cover any areas that are lacking in the party (DPS, light tanking, disarming traps, healing, etc.).

I bought a +2 Int tome at level 7 and a +2 Dex tome sometime before level 15. No plat from other characters - all the money was raised by the toon.

Since you have a 32 point build to work with, you could start with Str 14 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 14 Cha 8 and put a point in Dex when you hit level 12. Or buy a +1 Dex tome; they're cheap at level 12.

The build description uses +3 tomes when adding up the numbers, by they are not at all essential to the build.
    My Trade List
    My build: The Jack of Fists, Monk 12 / Ranger 6 / Rogue 2, melee generalist
    My toon: Agthorr on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    You want to have a new Gamer to manage his Char and lookout to keep the Hireling active and positioned?
    Most are overloaded with keeping their hp in view while hacking the enemies.
    I am an optimist!
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos_Fabril
    Are we talking about characters, or builds? Because it's pretty easy to build an S&B character, of any class, and the game is easy enough they will still be able to complete content, especially if they're in a group of better built, geared, and tomed characters. Does that count as success, or do you have a higher standard?
    Completing content is certainly a success, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah
    You need to read the OP's post again. He didn't simply ask for a build that can successfully solo. He asked for a build that is powerful and can easily solo. He specifically mentions he likes the idea of a melee/caster hybrid Favored Soul. So we're looking at five stats. Strength for melee damage, Dexterity for TWF, Constitution for HP, Wisdom for spell DCs, and Charisma to actually access the spells.
    I would suggest that the tone of the OP's post demonstrates a popular mindset that tomes (and build points in general) make a dramatic difference in character success, a mindset further demonstrated in this thread, and a mindset I disagree with for the various reasons stated previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    Completing content is certainly a success, yes.
    If being able to complete content is your only metric for success, a 28 pt S&B 6 con Elf Barb can be a successful character.

I hope that no one would recommend it except as a joke, but it certainly can successfully complete content.

I'm not recommending people don't use tomes, though. I'm saying they aren't a requirement, which we agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    You need STR, minimal CON and CHA. Plenty of people have run FVS to 20 with that format.

STR 18 to start = 16 build points + all level ups
    CHA 14 to start = 6 build points
    COn 14 to start = 6 build points

If you have 32 point builds, toss some into INT. You could drop the STR to 16 and do the same if you like. Feat wise all you *REALLY* need are Toughness, Empower, Maximize and Quicken. The rest can be a combination of PA, maybe Cleaves, Improved Crit, whatever.
    This is fine so long as the OP realizes they will lack in the spell casting department. His Blade Barrier, outside of Evasion mobs, will only land for half damage. The remaining DC-related spells will never land. If by melee/caster hybrid he meant melee/heal/buff, that's fine. But if he is expecting his offensive spells to work he'll be very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    I would suggest that the tone of the OP's post demonstrates a popular mindset that tomes (and build points in general) make a dramatic difference in character success, a mindset further demonstrated in this thread, and a mindset I disagree with for the various reasons stated previously.
    It depends entirely on the build as to how much of an improvement it brings. Generally though the more dependent on multiple stats the more it will benefit the build. As I stated, the OP is asking for a powerful build. This could be a simple build like a Barbarian, or it could be a multiple stat build like a Monk.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Dwarf/Human 18 paladin/2 fighter tank.

16 STR
    12 DEX
    14 CON
    14 INT
    8 WIS
    14 CHA

Feats:

1: Toughness (Human extra feat: Weapon prof: Bastard Sword)
    3: Power Attack
    6: Shield Mastery
    7: (Fighter Feat) THF
    9: ITHF
    12: Improved Shield Mastery
    14: (Fighter Feat) IC:Slashing
    15: GTHF
    18: Maximize
    21: Quicken
    24: Combat Expertise

Can take CE earlier, if you feel like it. You can also take Cleave/Greater Cleave/OC line instead of Maximize/Quicken/CE

Gives you also a great Past Life feat

Skills: Balance, Intimidate, Concentration, UMD

Main thing would be that you're using a Sword & Board almost all the time. And when you're not, you're using a Greataxe or a Falchion to bash enemies. You'll have high saves and high HP, and also able to heal yourself with Lay on Hands and Heal Scrolls.
    Last edited by pelaaja; 01-17-2013 at 12:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by amnota View Post
    Halfling thrower builds are fun.

Of course the trick is in knowing just how to bend the halfling...otherwise they never come back.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123