Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default If classes were food

I and a friendy were arguing about some classes and it somehow turned into something weird. This is rather silly, but I found the idea fun. If classes were a type food, what would they be? Here are some rules for the puzzle:

1. Class' represented food should go well with food represented by other class(es) in common multiclasses/splashes.
    2. There should be some reasoning behind the parallel.
    3. The food/product doesn't have to be something that qualifies as a whole meal, but has to be edible alone (as in no 'rogues are ketchup', because almost noone eats ketchup as the main course).
    4. Alignment restrictions should also be considered.

So far this is what we came up with:

1. Barbarian- hotdog. Easy to handle, easy to use, easy to make. It's fast food for both cases, some people love them, some absolutely loath. Very easy to show epeen with, but very hard to master as a lot of additional options come from outside the class and are not included in the basic package.

2. Cleric- pie. Come in so many different flavours and is so versatile it's hard to go into any more detail. Anywhere from meat pie as a melee to apple one as a caster.

3. Monk- ice cream. Both light, both go quickly, come in only slightly different flavours. Great for splashes and very tasty alone. Can hardly ever reach their absolute full potential, because humans get a brain freeze.

4. Favoured soul- salad. Just like clerics, get be all meaty like (melee) or fruit ones(casters). Generally considered a heal(th)y type unless you really mess it up.

5. Sorcerer- Skittles. Comes in about 4 different colours, but taste is pretty much the same. Most often people don't splash them with anything and go pure. Have to be careful and can't deal with sudden strong impacts or it will result in scattering all over the floor.

6. Bard- pasta. Can be eaten alone, but nowadays comes with a splash of something else (usually cheese). Always looks good, even if made in a hurry. Usually overshadowed by other classes, but always a great addition to any party/meal.

7. Fighter- cheese. Sometimes comes with a crust (shield), those usually are very sturdy too. Great for splashes as it's a rather frontloaded class.

8. Rogue- juice. Due to low base HP dice and how a lot of new people tend to splatter them all over the floor as soon as they receive a couple hits. As a splash goes with anything and everywhere. Not yet sure what the juice is from. Lemons maybe?

9. Paladin- bread. Your humble and trusty companion. Loads of people have little to no idea how hard and long it takes to make it. And even then they think it's rather meh at best. For me, it's just asking for a splash of something with it.

10. Ranger. Not really sure, was thinking of Fugu.

11. Wizard. Leaning onto jello with this one, but that doesn't feel right. On the other hand, have you tried stabbing gello? It's useless. Strong freeze and hammer works though (CC and burst dps).

12. Artificer. Again, not sure. Rise seems to somewhat apply to this one.

13. Druid. Both of us have yet to play one, so no input here.

If you feel like being insulted by this thread for whatever reasons, that was not the intention, but I am not gonna apologize.

If you manage to turn this into another BYOH, heal me, my loot is mine or over/under(powered) threat, I shall be very annoyed.

poohaps?

Community Member

Self-healing arcanes are like soda. Sweet, but playing that too often is bad for you.

Clerics and FvS are like fast food. Everyone talks it down, but they always enjoy having it. Again, having it too often is bad for you.

Grandmasters of Flowers is like pork brains in milk gravy. There are people who enjoy that, but merely remembering that it exists makes me puke a little bit in my mouth. It has so much fat and cholesterol that it makes soda and fast food look healthy.

Barbarian is like an elaborate dessert. It looks easy to make, but there are so many ways for it go wrong that you will hate yourself for trying to cook that until you can consistently get it right. When you do get it right, you will bemoan never being the main dish

Ranger is like one of those trendy organical foods that only weirdos enjoy. Said weirdos are obviously a lot healthier than the soda + fast food people, but they are missing out on a lot of what is good in life.

Fighter is like beef. If you are decent at it you have good food. If you are awesome, it will bring tears to your eyes. Its usually the main dish but everyone will be paying more attention to the dessert.

Paladin is like cellulose. Technically not food, but it will fill your party.

Bard is like salad. Most salads are mediocre, but there are really good ones out there. Done right, they go well with anything.

Rogue is like Bacon. Everything is better with bacon.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

I tend to think of Monks like they were turkey. Light meat and dark meat.

Community Member

Rather than full "foods" I tend to think of classes like seasonings (especially since I always multiclass and I view creating a character the way I do making a recipe)

Rogue = Salt. Enhances the flavor of just about everything.
    Barbarian = Cilantro. People either love it or hate it. Plus it usually goes in spicy foods, which makes me think of rages
    Artificer = Nutmeg. Nutmeg is a ridiculously versatile spice. It can do a little of everything.
    Wizards and Sorcerers = Hungarian Paprika. They make things explode...with delicious flavor...and fireballs.
    Rangers = Rosemary. Earthy, woodsy, but too much will ruin a dish.
    Monk = Pepper. Comes in both white and black and you must have a deft hand when using it.
    Fighter = Vanilla. Provides a nice often needed undernote to whole "dishes". Can be plain on its own.
    Favored Soul/Cleric/Paladin = Garlic. Healthy but can pack a punch...especially against undead.
    Druid = Cardamom. Wonderful and tasty, but most people don't know what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by smkalinowski View Post
    http://www.petco.com/product/110374/...r=51515408515#

Oddly.. only seemed to increase my cat's chewing on stuff. (look at the ingredients)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Oddly.. only seemed to increase my cat's chewing on stuff. (look at the ingredients)
    Weird that they'd even make a spray with rosemary. I've seen citrus, but never rosemary.

Rather than full "foods" I tend to think of classes like seasonings (especially since I always multiclass and I view creating a character the way I do making a recipe)

Barbarian = Cilantro. People either love it or hate it. Plus it usually goes in spicy foods, which makes me think of rages
    Artificer = Nutmeg. Nutmeg is a ridiculously versatile spice. It can do a little of everything.
    Wizards and Sorcerers = Hungarian Paprika. They make things explode...with delicious flavor...and fireballs.
    Monk = Pepper. Comes in both white and black and you must have a deft hand when using it.
    Fighter = Vanilla. Provides a nice often needed undernote to whole "dishes". Can be plain on its own.
    Favored Soul/Cleric/Paladin = Garlic. Healthy but can pack a punch...especially against undead.
    Druid = Cardamom. Wonderful and tasty, but most people don't know what to do with it.
    nice. +1

Weird that they'd even make a spray with rosemary. I've seen citrus, but never rosemary.
    Taste the spray. If you ask me, be a darn good thing to use to stop thumb sucking problems. Probably safer for the eyes than hot sauces but I don't know if that is true or not.

I've never tried it directly, but as it is a spray stuff hangs in the air. bleh.

/tangent off

Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    Self-healing arcanes are like soda. Sweet, but playing that too often is bad for you.

Rogue is like Bacon. Everything is better with bacon.
    LOVE it!!!

Barbarians are like hamburgers. It's pretty easy to make an edible hamburger, but every now and then you run into a hamburger that's stuffed with cheese and covered in just enough chili and slaw to make your mouth water.

Druids are like Souffle. They come in a variety of flavors. They're not difficult to make, but not everybody knows how to make them well. If you try to mix flavors that don't go together, you wind up with a flat mess.
    --Pealea, Peawee, worldpeas, givepeas achance, and whoopea on Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by wildbynature View Post
    Druids are like Souffle. They come in a variety of flavors. They're not difficult to make, but not everybody knows how to make them well. If you try to mix flavors that don't go together, you wind up with a flat mess.
    This one's great. Reminds me of all the recent pug druids that I saw going 'pufffff'.

Bard = Saffron. Forgotten by many, great in a lot of dishes, sometimes a rare choice, and many recipes choose to use something else in it's place (turmeric).
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aashrym View Post
    Bard = Saffron. Forgotten by many, great in a lot of dishes, sometimes a rare choice, and many recipes choose to use something else in it's place (turmeric).
    Oh yeah, I totally left out Bard. I can see Saffron. Mostly because I find them too expensive to build, which is why I rarely use it!

Nice addition.

BTW, what class is tumeric in this analogy?

Community Member

Smile

Bards- A fruit cocktail (because they tend to be more colorful and flamboyant)
    Clerics- Milk (because they do a body good)
    Druids- Mushrooms (they smell of the Earth and don't grow well next to metal)
    Wizard-Jello with fruit in it (it's magical the way the fruit is suspended and they are squishy)
    Rogue- Spinach (because people are always trying to sneak it into something)
    Monk-Tofu (they are plain and simple and take a lot of discipline to eat)

That's all I could come up with atm.

Community Member

Sure, I'll chime in, this sounds fun...

Bards - french fries. They go great with damn near everything, and while they can be eaten alone it leaves you wanting.
    Fighter - Chicken. Hard to eat by itself unless spruced up significantly, but mixes great with other foods and dishes.
    Wizard - Pasta. Lots of variety, great by itself, but just as good as side to add flavor to a larger meal.
    Clerics/FVS - Bread. Comes in innumerable varieties, many of which are fine on their own. Almost all full meals will include some variety of bread. Just a staple.
    Rogue - Cheese. Not always necessary, but when you need it the dish falls flat without it, and it can be added to almost anything without ruining the dish. Not often eaten alone.
    Artificer - Mac and cheese - much like wizard, but in slightly fewer varieties.
    Barbarian - Chili peppers. Known to occasionally cause heartburn. Usually consumed with other foods, and adds great impact to a meal when used properly.
    Druid - Lasagna. Includes a bit of everything and stands fine on it's own. Does slightly less for a meal than many other foods when served as a course.
    Ranger - Chili dog. Less hardy than chicken, but more flavor and better by itself. Often rejected for consideration with a full meal of other foods. Includes it's own bread.
    Sorcerer - Wine/Beer (depending on tastes). Can be and often is used alone, but only with caution. Also adds considerably to any meal. Comes in a variety of flavors that in the end aren't that different despite heated arguments by connoisseurs.
    Paladin - Sliders. Can be eaten alone, but isn't ideal. Can be eaten with other things, but isn't ideal. Can change the condiments slightly, but even so variety is limited. Great for an appetizer or with lots of beer (splash). Includes it's own bread.
    Monk - Steak. Fine to eat alone. Fine to mix with other foods. Great to splash in a salad or sandwich.
    Last edited by Inouk; 01-16-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

Different kinds of sushi and sushi condiments ...

Bards - Warm sake: makes everything else taste better, but it has to be the right temperature or it doesn't taste good

Fighter
    - Nigiri sushi with tuna on top: standard and tasty on its own, but it goes better with some wasabi and a little soy sauce; often found paired up with nigiri sushi with salmon on top

Wizard
    - Makizushi with fish eggs: commands your attention before and while you eat it; strong flavor, can make or break the meal because the aftertaste usually lingers for a while.

Clerics/FVS
    - Nigiri sushi with salmon on top: a staple in most sushi meals, generally not an overpowering flavor, but wholesome and tasty

Rogue
    - Soy sauce: often taken for granted, and yet excellent soy sauce really adds to the dining experience, while substandard soy sauce can make the dining experience much less enjoyable

Artificer
    - Raw sweet shrimp: a wholly different flavor that can "reset" your palate, making you forget about everything you ate before; a good choice if you've just eaten something you dislike

Barbarian
    - Raw octopus: deceptively simple, grabs your attention when you see it on the plate, and yet many never acquire a taste for its rubbery texture

Druid
    - Ginger: versatile condiment that adds flavor to just about any sushi meal, as long as its fresh

Ranger
    - Cold sake: those who love it, love it, but others always order something else

Sorcerer
    - Wasabi: can explode in your mouth, making your eyes water, with nothing else having much flavor until the flavor of wasabi subsides; in small doses, adds to the flavor of more standard sushi fare

Paladin
    - Tsukemono (pickles): comes in different flavors, and yet always has a similar role in the meal; will almost never take a sushi meal to a whole new level on its own, but can be the weak link that makes the experience less enjoyable

Monk
    - Nattou (soy bean paste): looks unhealthy, but is actually quite nutritious; distinguished from other parts of a sushi meal by the rituals performed before eating

Quote Originally Posted by Whesper View Post
    This one's great. Reminds me of all the recent pug druids that I saw going 'pufffff'.
    I will admit, my melee spec'd Druid is awesome solo. Reaving roar tears everything up, the scaling is smaller so traps don't hurt as much, and she's just all-around fun to play. I hate the class for pugging, though.

When I am in the middle of a giant mob gettin hit and hitting everything around me, I have a million special abilities going off, I'm getting double strikes and crits left and right. I love it. Cut to typical pug where the sorc has killed everything just as I'm jumping in the middle of a crowd and pressing intim. *sad druid* I haven't found a good way to compete with a half decent sorc...yet. It does kind of feel a little like a dish that is best served by itself.
    --Pealea, Peawee, worldpeas, givepeas achance, and whoopea on Khyber

In any case the race would clearly be young and tender 1st lifer Halfling.
    SidekickzDysmoniaEilisia PSSC

Quote Originally Posted by Whesper View Post
    ...13. Druid. Both of us have yet to play one, so no input here....
    Let me help - Druid - Haggis (or Vegemite)- no logical reason these should exist.

BTW, what class is tumeric in this analogy?
    Anything the party decides to take instead of a bard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast