Community Member

Default Clarification about wolf form and weapons and question about pet

okay, i just became a vip and decided to make a druid so i looked up things about the class. one of the things i read was that wolf form attacks do not benefit from the damage of the weapon, only the properties. so basically in wolf form, there is no difference between a +5 weapon or a +1 weapon, all that matters is the effects (cold touch, body feeder) am i reading this right?

also, what enchantments are recommended to choose for the pet wolf

thanks for the help
    Last edited by PKMN12; 01-09-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Thumbs up

As far as i have noticed for the weapon enhancements on my druid, that is correct about the druid weapons in wolf form. As far as the enhancements for your wolf pet go, definately take all of the HP/DR once (Cant remember names atm.) And then decided if you want your pet to have the hate from the mobs or no hate at all, and take the enahcements accordingly. One nice one to have is the rage one, and at least the first tier of the striding one, so that he can keep up with you . Good luck, and let me know if you have anymore questions
    Thelanis Server
    Empazio~Srandril~Gimpazio
    Member of Eternal Infinity

Community Member

i am not sure whither to be happy about that or not, wouldn't that mean druids have better dps by just using the flameblade spell and a good weapon instead of the wolf form, or do the buffs that the form use make it better?

also, what weapon effects should i be looking out for.

thanks again for the help

A +5 frost dagger and a +5 frost bastard sword both result in your attacks being +5 d6 and frosty crit on 20 x2. The base damage die of the weapon is ignored. The Crit profile is ignored.

Everything that's just in white text: damage, critical roll, attack mod, damage mod; has no affect on wolf form.

Everything after with gold description text does. +x Enhancement, yadda yadda...

Weapon - {Prefix} +Y (Metal Type) X[Weapon] of {Suffix}

...Then your attack in wolf form would be...

Prefix +Y (Metal Type) X[1d6] of Suffix
    Source Here.
    Last edited by AbyssalMage; 01-09-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Added X[W] into calculations

Community Member

okay so the enhancement bonuses do matter in wolf form?

Quote Originally Posted by PKMN12 View Post
    okay so the enhancement bonuses do matter in wolf form?
    From what I have read (and linked) yes. But I have never verified in game using the damage I seen above the heads of NPC's.

Quote Originally Posted by PKMN12 View Post
    okay, i just became a vip and decided to make a druid so i looked up things about the class. one of the things i read was that wolf form attacks do not benefit from the damage of the weapon, only the properties. so basically in wolf form, there is no difference between a +5 weapon or a +1 weapon, all that matters is the effects (cold touch, body feeder) am i reading this right?

also, what enchantments are recommended to choose for the pet wolf

thanks for the help
    You get all of the properties of the weapon except base damage and crit profile which are set by wolf or bear form when in animal form, including the +5 (or whatever).
    I go with bluff, rage, flanking attack, sa damage, trip, and threat reduction for my wolf.

Bluff allows you to get sneak attack damage, and between you and your pet you can tag team your target and keep them bluffed, which enables you to get max damage.
    Rage, flanking attack, sa damage and trip are self explanatory
    Threat reduction keeps the mobs attacking you instead of killing your pet.

People will tell you that bluff is a waste of an attack that your wolf will do less dps. However without it you are missing out on x * 9d6 (where x is the number of attacks you can get in while mob is bluffed) SA damage, at least as a helf with rogue dilletante. I assure you that the damage lost from the melee attack your wolf misses when he does a bluff attack is far less than the extra SA damage he enables you to do. Pet damage is pretty negligible anyway even on a 40WIS/Augment Summoning monster pet you have if you build your druid right to have good summons/pets, when compared to a melee druid getting full SA damage along with his regular melee damage.

As long as you ship buff your pet's CHA, use eagles splendor on him, pack aptitude charisma as well, he'll continue to successfully bluff in end game. Mine does.
    Last edited by hermespan; 01-11-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Vaguely related question that doesn't seem to need it's own thread:

Does Keen/impact affect your crit range in animal form (assuming you don't have IC:bludgeoning)?
    Gildus, Yhvain, Sabathiel, Einion

Cannith, GOCI
    Be Chill, have fun

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by hermespan View Post
    You get all of the properties of the weapon except base damage and crit profile which are set by wolf or bear form when in animal form, including the +5 (or whatever).
    the biggest question I have is with weapon proficiency. do you also get the -4 TH if you use a weapon you are not proficient with, which is most of them.

a dev answer to this question, a couple months ago, stated that you did take the -4 for non-proficiency and would take the usual TWF penalties if you equipped 2 weapons. with no way to get rid of the TWF penalty as the TWF feats don't apply when in form.

but I see over and over in the forums where posts state to use whatever weapon you want, that nothing but the weapon properties matter. if that's true, I have some nice khopeshes banked

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphious View Post
    Vaguely related question that doesn't seem to need it's own thread:

Does Keen/impact affect your crit range in animal form (assuming you don't have IC:bludgeoning)?
    Bah, nope, doesn't work :/

And I just made gs min2 warhammer, mainly for the sake of improved crit range

I guess I'll also make a lit2 after a few more shroud runs.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kendo View Post
    the biggest question I have is with weapon proficiency. do you also get the -4 TH if you use a weapon you are not proficient with, which is most of them.

a dev answer to this question, a couple months ago, stated that you did take the -4 for non-proficiency and would take the usual TWF penalties if you equipped 2 weapons. with no way to get rid of the TWF penalty as the TWF feats don't apply when in form.

but I see over and over in the forums where posts state to use whatever weapon you want, that nothing but the weapon properties matter. if that's true, I have some nice khopeshes banked
    I personaly use khopeshes, bastards, etc and if there is a penalty - I'm not missing a swing

Community Member

oh, i guess i could try my lit2 repeater, even if it takes both weapon slots. I don't think it needs ammo?

While you won't suffer the -4 pen for using a non prof weapon. From my testing , you'll be getting a lot more grazing hits compaired to a weapon with the same bonus.