Default Looking for an Assassin Build

Looking to get help making a NON-Halfling assassin rogue, with moderate DPS ability, outstanding trap and assassinate DC's, using something like Qstaff or other no-feat req'd weapons. This will need high INT and STR. I know it isn't an "UBER" killing machine, but I'd like to just make it reasonably solo-able and self sufficient. Even looked at Half-Elf with 13 wis for cleric dil. to use heal scrolls as well as 13 cha for the pally cha bonus to saves. I do want the capstone so no splashing. Ideas?
    I have not yet begun, to defile myself.

There are a couple opposed purposes here.

First, DPS vs. Quarterstaff: the quarterstaff is a woeful base, and rogues do much much much more DPS with TWF. If you don't want to spend a feat on weapons that's fine, but rapiers >>> quarterstaves.

Second, rogue vs. soloing. Because the bulk of your DPS comes from sneak attack, pure rogue is one of the toughest classes to one-man: the meathead classes can pop a hireling, the caster classes annihilate regardless, the middle classes have the toughest time. You can also get enough UMD to use Heal scrolls without the dilettante, so there's not a lot of impetus there either.

Additionally, the two top ways to generate sneak attack with aggro (which you will always have while soloing) are Stunning Fist (1 monk splash) and Radiance (strongly reliant on threat range, pushing you even harder towards rapiers). Going quarterstaff seems like it would work because Strength and all that, but it really doesn't hold a candle.

A human TWF pure rogue Assassin is an extremely strong DPS character in a group, can get every relevant trap, can be as good as you feel like at Assassination. You may be better off just embracing that and running with it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Barium View Post
    Looking to get help making a NON-Halfling assassin rogue, with moderate DPS ability, outstanding trap and assassinate DC's, using something like Qstaff or other no-feat req'd weapons. This will need high INT and STR. I know it isn't an "UBER" killing machine, but I'd like to just make it reasonably solo-able and self sufficient. Even looked at Half-Elf with 13 wis for cleric dil. to use heal scrolls as well as 13 cha for the pally cha bonus to saves. I do want the capstone so no splashing. Ideas?
    Plenty of threads on the first page, even if they have gone to the dogs.

Moderate dps ability is an understatement. The rogue I'm planning, once geared, will have 119 avg SA dmg(214 with 80% offhand procs). This is before any str bonus, power attack, or weapons. (you'll have a little less if you're going without epic SA feat)

UMD is a class skill for rogues so no need to take a dilly feat for it. Don't even need to boost cha any and just takes minimal gear sacrifice.

32pt
    16str+4tome+7item+1exc+2ins+4tensers=34+2ship+2yug o=38
    14dex+3tome
    14con
    16int+4tome+6lvlups+8item+3ins+1exc+1humanenh+2cap stone+4shadowdancer+1twist+2epicfeat=48+2ship=50
    08wis
    08cha+2tome+7item+1exc=18+2ship=20

You'll need those levels in int if you want good assassinate dcs(for EE).

assassinate dc: 10base+20rog+20intbonus+6destiny+2midnightgreeting =58dc

umd: 23base+5chabonus+5epicskills+1spidermask=34+4gh=38 +2goodluckitem=40 (cloak of silver concord gets you 7ch, persuasion and yellow slot)

feats:
    general+human:
    3xtwf
    1ximp crit
    1xpa
    1xprecision
    1xtoughness
    1xins reflex
    rog:
    1ximp evasion
    1xopportunist
    1xdef roll
    1xslippery mind
    epic:
    2x int

My setup, more or less. Can give you ideas:
    equipment:
    helm: pdk
    goggles: +8 clever goggles
    necklace: epic grim's bracelet (+1 exc cha)
    trinket: +3 int focus of subterfuge
    cloak: epic cloak of silver concord (greater false life)
    armor: light cormyrian red
    belt: hp gs
    ring1: seal of avithoul (+7 wis)
    ring2: ring of the stalker (+1 exc int, +1 exc str)
    bracers: twisting shade EH
    gloves: pdk
    boots: treads of falling shadow EN
    wpn1a: balizarde
    wpn2a: midnight greetings (trash)
    wpn1b: grave wrappings (orange named)
    wpn1c: celestia
    wpn2c: celestia (red/purple named)

Can go helf for the +1 int enh from arti dilly. Skip precision. Try to work an extra int somewhere to get the dc59.
    Last edited by HalfORCastrator; 01-09-2013 at 05:05 PM.
    ME BARB, ME SMA-ok I stand here with pretty blue lines around me. ok I take damage. ok bye.