Community Member

Default Giving up too much?

So, I want to make an assassin. For flavor I was thinking of splashing either fighter or barbarian. Would I be giving up too much on my ability to assassinate by splashing? Is splashing either of these other classes a good idea? Thanks for any help.

Community Member

Aside from flavor, what do you want to gain by adding the fighter or barbarian levels? Also, how many levels of those classes do you want to splash? Keep in mind, splashing 1 level will cost you the capstone (4d6 SA) and 2 levels will cost you a rogue bonus feat.

Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    Aside from flavor, what do you want to gain by adding the fighter or barbarian levels? Also, how many levels of those classes do you want to splash? Keep in mind, splashing 1 level will cost you the capstone (4d6 SA) and 2 levels will cost you a rogue bonus feat.
    Yup, that's quite a lot you will miss out on so basically don't splash a rogue assassin unless you have a pretty good reason to.

Community Member

Well, I'm not sure that I'm trying to gain anything in particular with the splashes. This would be my first real attempt at building a non-pure character if I did it, so I'm not real good what certain splashes gain you. The character is based of a character from a book. The assassin in the book is one of the best, but instead of a prototypical sneak/lithe assassin he's huge and overpowers people a lot, thus the barb or fighter splash. But I'd rather be a good assassin than just a flavor build at this point.

As far as how deep of a splash, I've thought about 2 fighter or 6 barb. Like I said, I've never made a splashed character so I'm just feeling that part out and looking for advice. Thanks.

And thanks Gkar. That's what I was thinking, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask and see how the experts feel about it.
    Last edited by crudd26; 01-09-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Consider splashing monk, you get a higher base attack rate with unarmed combat, so that makes up for the but of sneak you lose. and your tier 2 assassinate ability takes a hit, but faster attack favors your tier 3 assassinate ability (which oddly, no one seems to ever mention).

Plus with stinning fist and stunning blow its easy to get sneak damage in, would go with the overpower the target flavor thing you mentioned

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Rogue capstone is +2 INT +4d6 SA; the only thing I'd give that up for is taking a monk splash to use handwraps (faster atk speed + Stunning Fist).

Community Member

a flavor build is a flavor build ... go for it. rogue 18 with fighter or barb 2. "Giving up too much" is too subjective if you are talking about a flavor toon.
    Thelanis: Anihsod ( drood ), Dexlorum ( nannybot ), Kiriagi ( thief ), Galrisian ( paladerp ) Hirp Dirp ( bard )

Community Member

My one big piece of advice for anyone wanting to multiclass a character: Don't do it unless you know exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it. That said, making a character to be a flavor build because you like how it "feels" is perfectly fine, just so long as you understand that it will likely have sub-optimal performance in some areas, and if you pug a lot, it will likely get you some weird looks and possibly some rejections. As long as that doesn't bother you at all, go for it.