Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tomes

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Why is that, I wonder. Have the new upgrade tomes (which are all BtA AFAICT) caused the spike in demand?
    I've been gone about 6 months and was really surprised by this as well. But from what I've seen in the general chat I think there are a ton of new players to the game recently (which is really good actually) and that may be driving the price up, higher demand.

Honestly the best way to get a tome is off the auction house.

I've been playing this game for years, and not counting the +2 tomes from the 1750 favor thing, I've pulled maybe a dozen +1 tomes, 2-3 +2 tomes, 1 +3 tome, and 1 +4 tome.

All the other tomes I've gotten have been off the AH. After you play a little, you'll notice what is valuable. Of note are:
    1) Collectibles as people have said earlier.
    2) Anything with a medium or larger guild slot. Large guild slot items are rare and sell very well, particularly on useful items. I pulled a silver greatsword with a large guild slot from waterworks. I sold it (perhaps low, or high, who knows) on the AH for 400k platinum.
    3) Similarly, silver khopeshes, greatswords, falchions, etc sell well. Other silver weapons sell ok, but not at nearly the high price of the weapons most optimizing people use. Adamanite, flametouched iron, and cold iron also well well, but not nearly as reliably.
    4) Essences as people mentioned earlier. A good strategy is to crunch items in the crafting hall. You come out ahead overall in total plat if you sell the items on the AH. You do get some plat from crunching items.
    5) "Rare" scrolls - namely level 7+ arcane spells which cannot be bought from vendors.
    6) Potions - Potions of invisibility sell very well and fast. Mnemonic potions sell like hotcakes.
    7) Particularly nice combinations on weapons - Things like holy silver weapons, or a sceptre with glaciation and ice lore. This also goes for accessories with only one stat, like +7 disabling goggles. Even nicer would be race-restricted items with this, since they can be used even earlier, and veterans use them as twink items.

Guild slot?
    I've pull a few with small guild slots.
    What's the purpose of the guild slots?

-New player still after two weeks.
    Last edited by Magic_Emperor; 01-09-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Good post on the guild slots, forgot about those. I pulled a belt once which was **** but had a large guild slot. Stripped it and didn't really know how to price it so I put it up for 50K and it sold in less then an hour. Learned my lesson....go BIG on guild slot items and lower the price if it doesn't sell.

Even items with small guild slots can be valuable (just not as much). For example, my guild is just a 4 person guild that doesn't play much. We don't ever expect to get high enough for medium but small works out great. I'll pay for items with small slots all day long and twice on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Wgrace45 View Post
    I'm not a completely new player, but the highest level i've ever been is 13, and that was years ago, so I might as well be.
    This is the key problem. It isn't a matter of which is the best class or best farming technique. You are simply too low level to see much more than +1 tomes. The DDOWiki gives the starting level for +2 tomes as level 15. This doesn't count raids, like Zawabi's Revenge (level 12, Desert), but chances are you haven't hit those levels either.

I agree with glouky, go play the game and don't concern yourself with farming till you're at a higher level.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue100000005 View Post
    Never knew that, awesome to know thanks. I didnt think that haggle really had that much of an effect.
    Well, you certainly can get that kind of boost to your selling price, but that's going to take a pretty high investment in Haggle plus a character that has very high Charisma.

I have a Bard with a Haggle skill in the low 70s (that's with all personal and ship buffs running) and it certainly does make a very noticeable and welcome bonus to plat earned from selling random generated loot. I think I have something like 18 free slots in my shared bank and filling those with lootgen items and selling them to brokers nets me about 50k each time.

You can also sell the Greater Essences you come across in your adventures, assuming you have no interest in crafting, to those that do crafting. The going rate is 175-200pp per on Orien.

At your level range, I think I'd be hitting the rares Orchard of the Macabre in the Necropolis. They can drop several items that sell for decent plat in addition to the random lootgen items. They can drop Shreds of Tapestry ( 20 needed for the helm quest that most run to get their Minos Legens, a helm which gives Heavy Fortification and toughness- the Shreds sell in stacks of 20 for around 200k on the AH), Shield Fragments (for a quest that gives a variety of shields- they sell for 30k to 80k on the AH)) and Tome pages ( can't recall the quest...pages sell for 40k-80k on the AH). I found that my bank account grew exponentially when I was able to run Orchard.
    In an election, always vote for the candidate who likes big butts....because, you know, they cannot lie.

KCCO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12