Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Focusing RuneArm damage

Are some runearms better for multiple enemies and some better for single targets, or do they all work the same?

I'm considering purchasing/acquiring some runearms that say something like "At higher levels, it shoots out multiple bolts/projectiles in a spray."

I can't figure out what this means, since it is not much more specific than that. Are the damage amounts listed on Runearms the potential damage of EACH PROJECTILE, or are they showing the damage potential if and when all of the "projectiles" were to hit one single target. If it is showing damage per projectile, that would be awesome, but I suspect it works differently.

I have an acid one right now (Pea Shooter), for example, that shoots 3 acid balls spread pretty wide apart. If I were to fire this at point blank range, would the enemy be hit 3 different times for triple projectile damage, or would just one hit them?

In short, I still really haven't mastered this runearm thing. They don't seem to have a range anywhere as large as the repeater, so it seems I do the best damage when up close (especially with turret and blade barrier up too). But this also make me more vulnerable. I'm level 19 now and just did MindSunder for the first time last night on Normal. For my 20 Pale Trapper, who is also trying to get Lucid Dreams for this character, he kills the trash almost effortlessly. But my Arti really struggled through the trash and orange guys. But when the Arti could finally open up on the Mindsunder itself (stationary target), he could take it down faster than the level 20 guy. It was very odd.

But I digress. Thank you for helping me understand Rune Arms projectile damage calculations.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I'm not fond of the "fires in a spread" Runearms (which is all of the acid RAs IIRC), because as you've noticed the off-center shots won't hit anything unless you're at point-blank range. The range on Runearms also varies: some are very close-range cones and feel like they're intended for melee-based artificers; while others are medium- or long-ranged (pretty sure you're right about repeaters having a longer range than RAs, though).
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

per projectile. by the way, not all rune arms that fire multiple projectiles fire the same amount of projectiles. for example, lucid dreams has a maximum of 5 projectiles, while toven's hammer only fires 4 (note that toven's hammer also starts off at 2, as i recall, making it slightly better if you're only going to charge tier 1).

this is why glorious obscenity (which works like your pea shooter except up to 5 balls) and lucid dreams, for example, are considered superior for bosses (they also tend not to be reflex saves, which is a major advantage against some bosses that have evasion).

of course, in answer to your opening question, the flip side is that some are definitely better vs multiple enemies. for example, toven's hammer fires multiple bolts in an area. several rune arms have exploding shot, or something similar, which also hits an area. and one rune arm (low level, called flicker i think), has a projectile that sends out little bolts to hit some things, and also has a large ball which hits a target and explodes, as i understand it (i personally have never actually used flicker though).

hope that helps.

If you have a single target highlighted in your reticule all three of your peas will hit it at distance, unless scenary or another target gets in the way, the outer peas will follow an arc homing in on your target.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I'm not fond of the "fires in a spread" Runearms (which is all of the acid RAs IIRC), because as you've noticed the off-center shots won't hit anything unless you're at point-blank range. The range on Runearms also varies: some are very close-range cones and feel like they're intended for melee-based artificers; while others are medium- or long-ranged (pretty sure you're right about repeaters having a longer range than RAs, though).
    Wow. I have better luck w/ the acids hitting. They track the selected target.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Wow. I have better luck w/ the acids hitting. They track the selected target.
    I'm also a fan of the tracking, and taking advantage of the curving shots comes in handy, too.

edit: In regards to the Ops first question: The arcing shots can affect multiple targets - I find it handy to target the caster at the back of a mob (which we should be doing anyway) and letting the spray cut down a few of the meatshields in the way. Any orbs that get thru then converge on the caster.

Another handy one is the exploding fire shot (Strinati's Cannon). The straight line beam will do damage to nearby targets on passing, then the ball explodes for AOE damage when it impacts a solid.

The other fire AOE (really more of a rectangle in actual hit boxes) is close range. I don't have much of an opinion on those as close range is not my Arty's friend.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 01-08-2013 at 01:54 PM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azhanti View Post
    If you have a single target highlighted in your reticule all three of your peas will hit it at distance, unless scenary or another target gets in the way, the outer peas will follow an arc homing in on your target.
    Hmm, then either I'm misremembering or I was doing something wrong; it's been a while since I played one of my arties.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I'm not fond of the "fires in a spread" Runearms (which is all of the acid RAs IIRC)
    Acid and force.

Community Member

There are several rune arm types.
    Fire Blast or Electric Lash, basically an AE like a wizards lvl 1 fire spray. Good for point blank AE.

Some are like that first rune arm you get in korthos, can charge up and fire several shots in an arc, but can hit the walls/trees/other mobs. From 1 to 5 projectiles, based on how long you charge it and the weapons Max Charge Tier.

Fireball or electric ball type attack, functions as a ranged AE. 1 ranged projectile, generally accurate if used at distant targets and inaccurate if shot point blank (might aim for the room instead of the pack of mobs in front of you for instance).

A few frost ones shoot several frost bolts in a direct line at either your hard target or where you point the aiming reticule. These are like ray spells, if the target moves to the side it'll miss, but will put the shot where you intend to.

It usually comes down to what you get used to using, a new one can be hard to figure out, and i found some a lot tougher to hit anything with that others. For ease of use i found the frost shot ones the easiest.

For the Rune Arms that shoot multiple projectiles, I like to target the mob, jump, and then fire. I am presently using the Archaic Device, and rather than let the trash in front block the full five orbs/projectiles, jumping straight up and firing gets the five shots to the intended target (most of the time). Shooting the intended target with my repeater and Improved Precise Shot - and hitting the mobs in between while in flight - takes care of the trash instead.

Here is a good post on how to use rune arms
    Rune Arm Aiming

There is also plenty of build advise on building them ... some good some bad but quite a bit nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by Theolin View Post
    Here is a good post on how to use rune arms
    Rune Arm Aiming

There is also plenty of build advise on building them ... some good some bad but quite a bit nonetheless
    yeah, that was a pretty good write up.

One thing to consider is how the rune arm works in concert with your spells. Lucid Dreams is good for boosting blade barrier damage. Adding Kinetic Lore or impulse helps also. Personally I rarely use my rune arm, with the exception of boss fights.
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader, Bridge Burners

"Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxhunter View Post
    One thing to consider is how the rune arm works in concert with your spells. Lucid Dreams is good for boosting blade barrier damage. Adding Kinetic Lore or impulse helps also. Personally I rarely use my rune arm, with the exception of boss fights.
    impulse helps. kinetic lore only helps the rune arm. you need laceration lore, or arcane lore, to boost blade barrier crits.

Community Member

I asked this question in another thread but never got a response. Does the damage that the runearm adds to your weapon (X-bow usually) stack with the same type of damage on the weapon itself?

Specifically, I just got Lucid Arms and want to wield it alongside my + 3 Impellant Heavy Repeating X-Bow of Heartseeker. In theory, that would be 2-12 force damage + another 2-12 force damage. Does this work?

And as an aside, I'm thinking of resetting my doggie's enhancements at 20. I checked wiki and can't find this: How much damage do my dog's claw/bite attacks do at level 20, before STR and equipment and spell effects? For example, is it 1d6 slashing, 1d8 piercing, or what?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    I asked this question in another thread but never got a response. Does the damage that the runearm adds to your weapon (X-bow usually) stack with the same type of damage on the weapon itself?
    Yes, it stacks. If you have your UI setup such that you see all damage float on your screen in a colorful damage, you'll see your weapon's damage pop up in the line separately from the added rune arm damage.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    And as an aside, I'm thinking of resetting my doggie's enhancements at 20. I checked wiki and can't find this: How much damage do my dog's claw/bite attacks do at level 20, before STR and equipment and spell effects? For example, is it 1d6 slashing, 1d8 piercing, or what?
    You know you can reset your dog's enhancements pretty much at will? There's no cooldown or, IIRC, cost associated with respeccing your pet.

As for the damage...not enough, is the short answer I think their natural weapon does slashing damage, IIRC from watching DR effects on undead at lower levels. I'm not sure their dice...but with their pretty slow attack speed, they're not going to do a lot of DPS normally, even with Deadly Weapons. Not negligible, but definitely not a lot compared to your own. If you equip a Cormyrian handwrap converted to collar, they get a buttload of procs at least

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxhunter View Post
    Personally I rarely use my rune arm, with the exception of boss fights.
    I don't mean to single you out on this comment, as I think its shared by a significant number of artificer players.

The downside to runearm use is that it makes you move far too slowly - if you don't have good striders or expeditious retreat clickies, this can be enough to stop you wanting to use your runearm in most situations.

To be blunt: this is a huge mistake if you're playing an arti.

Runearms represent 50% of an arti's sustainable dps at end-game. If you don't want to use them, other ranged classes (e.g. arcane archer builds) are going to give you far better damage and probably a play experience more in keeping with what you want to do. I haven't researched AA builds in detail, but off the top of my head I imagine a 12 FVS / 6 Monk / 2 Other [probably rogue] type 10k elven arcane archer is going to give you much better ranged dps and similar spellcasting utility to an artificer who doesn't use runearms.

Learning to use runearms effectively in situations is the major unique learning process for a new arti who is levelling up. If you don't do this, in my opinion your end game arti will feel lacklustre as the damage you put out with only your repeaters simply won't cut it at levels 17+.

Community Member

Default treffoil

is there a way to increase rune arm charge lvls?

Quote Originally Posted by Loriac View Post
    I don't mean to single you out on this comment, as I think its shared by a significant number of artificer players.

The downside to runearm use is that it makes you move far too slowly - if you don't have good striders or expeditious retreat clickies, this can be enough to stop you wanting to use your runearm in most situations.

To be blunt: this is a huge mistake if you're playing an arti.

Runearms represent 50% of an arti's sustainable dps at end-game. If you don't want to use them, other ranged classes (e.g. arcane archer builds) are going to give you far better damage and probably a play experience more in keeping with what you want to do. I haven't researched AA builds in detail, but off the top of my head I imagine a 12 FVS / 6 Monk / 2 Other [probably rogue] type 10k elven arcane archer is going to give you much better ranged dps and similar spellcasting utility to an artificer who doesn't use runearms.

Learning to use runearms effectively in situations is the major unique learning process for a new arti who is levelling up. If you don't do this, in my opinion your end game arti will feel lacklustre as the damage you put out with only your repeaters simply won't cut it at levels 17+.
    yep agree, rune arm is significant dmg at the higher levels. there are artificer enhancements to take away the movement penalty of having a fully charged rune arm too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast