Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheel of Time

Quote Originally Posted by pokeoutyoureardrums View Post
    Back to thread, I think sanderson did an amazing job and was glad jordan's wife and he worked on it togetehr. Speaking of sanderson, is a fourth mistborn book, takes place centuries later in the industrial era, ala western. Think allomancers with guns.
    I read the first WoT book. Thought it was awesome. Read the second. Thought it was maybe even better. But I stopped reading cause I could see the end from the beginning: namely that there was no end. It was like the TV show Lost. Awesome stuff, but ultimately pointless/plotless. Sure it may be coming to a close now, but the page count could hardly be justified. If it's any consolation, I only read the first Terry Goodkind book.

On the other hand, I've read everything Sanderson has written EXCEPT the WoT books - and his hand in them is just about the only thing that's ever tempted me to go back and read the full WoT. In my opinion - and it may be unpopular in this thread - Jordan was in ways as captivating as Sanderson, but overall Sanderson is a far better writer.
    Bartylomaos and Fwelcyr, of Orien's Forever Knights
    Lag got you down? Do what I do and bring along a good book to read while playing DDO.

series lost traction around the 7th book. Sanderson has done an amazing job of putting it back on track. I can't wait to get my copy.
    Argonessenn -Officer of Storm Shadow-
    Olen Anteres

i stopped reading at the 10th book, after looking down at the spaghetti dinner i was eating (while reading it) and realizing how much it and the plot (of the series) had in common
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnsfire View Post
    I read all the books Jordan wrote and then lost track of the series. After I heard he had died and another author picked it up, I just assumed he'd make a mess of it. So I just dropped it like a dead letter and went on with my life.

Sounds like I may have made a mistake there
    Sanderson has said that about 200 of the 2500 pages to make up the last 3 Brandon WoT books were Jordan's starting as well as ending pages. He took the notes and connected it all. I found Brandon's writing was stronger (and apparently better edited) by the 2nd of the 3 books. The first is a bit rough in some characterizations.

I think Jordan got a bit muddled in the 7-10 book range. There's a bit too much wandering in there and more compression/editing/removal might have helped. Though after ~3years Jordan came back pretty strong in book 11. I'm both very happy to have finished the series and sad the series is finished. Things moved both too fast and ended too abruptly for me. Still trying to digest all that happened. What did others think?

I'll note that Brandon Sanderson was writing nice 400 page books... and then took on the 2500 pages of the WoT triple book ending... and then Sanderson's next book Way of Kings bounced up to 1000+pages. WoT have you done to Brandon?!?!? That said... Way of Kings is "exquisite".

Also if you're going to judge the Wheel of Time books by the cover - please use the Ebook covers (though a Memory of Light was done by a different artist (after the original art guy died)).
    Last edited by Gratch; 01-14-2013 at 06:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. We are investigating.

For anyone considering reading this series, I recommend the following:

- Read books 1-7. These are all good books.
    - Read summaries of books 8, 9 and 10. These are the lowpoint of the series. Little happens.
    - Read book 11, but skip the Perrin/Faile chapters and read just a summary. This book is a big improvement but still has the plotline that epitomizes the worst of the series.
    - Read 12-14 in full.

And while doing it, try to determine the motivations of each individual character. This is where the series shines - every character has well-thought-out motivations. There's just enough hints to work them out, and many of them become relevant.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Syllph View Post
    I loved, I mean loved the series until about the 7th book. I had to put it down after that. Stories that seemed to be going somewhere just ended with no reason, stories that were there dragged on with no action, the girls all seemed to be constantly naked with "their hands folded under their breasts" over and over. Two pages of a description of a floral print on someone's outfit, etc. Characters with full names and full back plots would be introduced then never mentioned again.

The first book blew me away, the others were equally good. It just seemed like the plot dissolved.
    You and me both.. 1st book was the first I read in english so took me ages but was more than worth it. Was sad when all the women became indistinguishable and all the men became tame house cats.. At least thats how I felt. :/

Those stories do tie down to an end, just took awhile because he was introducing many other plot elements. Is a very complex world and can be hard to keep up with so many plots running at one time. But it all came out well. You missed the part where perrin went brutally savage, and rand started to break down in a seriously dangerous manner. And mat is mat, lol, though he gets funnier and discovers his sense of responsibility (against his will, of course).
    Problem wasn't the introduction of plots it was the constant recap of previous books.. Felt like the actual story could have been a 200 page pocket book action wise after book 7

I might take Sirgogs approach and skip the downsides.. Loved the universe and even remember playing on a roleplay server in the original never winter nights.. Was fun being male spellcaster there

Just remind yourself to breathe when reading the last 200 pages.....wowzerz...
    Some people are like Slinkies
    They don't really have a purpose
    But they still bring a smile to your face
    When you push them down the stairs

THIS POST HAS SOME SPOILERS FOR PRE-AMOL BOOKS!!!!!!! They are fairly minor.

Those stories do tie down to an end, just took awhile because he was introducing many other plot elements. Is a very complex world and can be hard to keep up with so many plots running at one time. But it all came out well. You missed the part where perrin went brutally savage, and rand started to break down in a seriously dangerous manner. And mat is mat, lol, though he gets funnier and discovers his sense of responsibility (against his will, of course).
    Perrin's plotline (the one you mention) just goes far too long. If it was condensed to 150 pages (I think it's actually around 500) it would have been good.

That Rand plotline is the backbone of book 12 and is just amazingly well done though.

As for the plotlines - the issue for me was that books 8, 9 and 10 just didn't resolve any major plotlines at all. The earlier books had - book 3 resolved the cursed dagger plotline for instance, and 5 resolved the line surrounding Lanfear's machinations. (Both left elements for the future). IIRC 8, 9 and 10 really only resolved the Bowl of the Winds plotline. This then left Sanderson forced to 'resolve' some of the lines developed in those books in a really unsatisfying way (like Masema).

Quote Originally Posted by amnota View Post
    Just remind yourself to breathe when reading the last 200 pages.....wowzerz...
    You mean that one chapter that is 190 pages? I made the mistake of starting that at 2.30am.

<Also semi spoilers>

Book 8 was eh and Book 10 was "regarding the minor characters that weren't in book 9 - here's what they were doing" and 10 has the most meh ending of any of them. I believe Book 9 and especially the tail end of 9 did have some plot "giddyup". Poke. Poke. Don't know that I would skip 9.

Jordan seemed to be a great one to make great scenes with indepth and probably the highest breadth of characters and then give you the big "showdown" at the end of each book (except 10). The final book is like a constant "showdown".... though I would say all of the last 4 get back to moar happening throughout with less recap and only the cultural descriptions you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. We are investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    - Read summaries of books 8, 9 and 10. These are the lowpoint of the series. Little happens.
    I'd highly recommend reading chapter 35 (With the Choedan Kal) from Book 9
    (Winter's Heart).

Community Member

Default sorry to necro but...

I know this thread is 6 months old, but I finished reading the last book yesterday, and I feel empty now.
    I guess that after reading and feeling like I've known these characters for 20 years now, to see their stories come to an end... its bittersweet.

I know the series wasn't perfect, I am aware of its flaws... however...
    I don't think I will ever read anything that equals this.
    Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time, for me, are perfect.
    This is the height of High Fantasy, the epitome of epic.

I can't stifle a sense of loss. I have no new adventures to which I might look forward.
    I can always reread the series again, but it will never be the same.
    It has ended, and I lost a world.

Thank you Mr. Jordan, for sharing this treasure with us. I hope you knew how much it meant.

Community Member

One deleted chapter that did not make it into the final book was published recently somewhere.

Community Member

With every reading, something 'new' stands out. I read the first several books when I learned of the series. Thereafter, I reread them all each time a new one came out. Mr. Jordan must have had NSA style dossiers for all of the characters in his books, for they are so intricately developed. I cried for them, and I rejoiced for them, because he made them live.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12