Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,063

    Default Professional Flower sniffers

    AKA Casual Power gamers Have no place in DDO.

    At least that's what it seems to me. But I'm probably on burnout mode.
    I do know finding someone to run with that's experienced, capable and not concerned with xp per minute seems impossible. I wonder what ever happened to dungeon crawlers.
    People just enter quests to be done with them asap and get stuff/xp then move on.
    I saw one of my own guildies ripping into someone from guild chat for no other reason than the guy wanted to kill everything.
    It was like that was the most terrible thing he could have done. To dare to spend extra time in the quest hacking, slashing and exploring.
    I've been going it mainly alone for nearly a year now. I don't even know what to do about it. Maybe I should start a guild for people like myself. If there's one out there already I never heard of it.
    I dunno. DDO is getting old for me anyway. Really looking forward to Elder Scrolls online.
    That's probably what I need. A change of scenery.
    Last edited by MaximusParthas; 01-07-2013 at 12:28 AM.
    Krimsonrayne -Ultimate Lord of Shadows on Orien server.
    Using -Ethan Hunt build -Assassin III, 900+ HP versatile, survivalist, high dps, str build.
    Build presented in video format. Long Live R.O.G.U.E.

  2. #2
    Community Member Mindos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    flying underneath
    Posts
    632

    Default

    I'll run with you! but im kinda hard to get a hold off, and I have weird hours, but hey! why not?

  3. #3
    Community Member SemiraLynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    345

    Default

    That's kind of how I feel a lot of times. When I'm in a group I'll just go with the zerg (and the way a lot of groups are these days the faster they end the better!) but when I am solo I'll usually keep up a decent pace but still hit Conquest and Trap bonuses and if I'm in the mood, the Breakables bonus. I'll do most of the optionals unless they are really annoying or give virtually nothing.

    I really hate the xp/min grind as it wears on me very quickly. Even though a specific quest is slower, in the long run I level faster when I am involved in the quests and fleshing them out a bit since I end up wanting to play longer.
    Orien Player: Semirasai, ~3~ L28 Drow Wizard :: Kaethe, ~5~ L13 Halfling Barb/Bard/Rog :: Esthera, ~2~ L26 Human Favored Soul
    Sophiae, L20 Drow Bard :: Kitarina, L20 Half-Orc Fighter :: Aadia, L20 Half-Elf Sorcerer :: Olesia, ~2~ L15 Sun Elf Cleric/Monk

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindos View Post
    I'll run with you! but im kinda hard to get a hold off, and I have weird hours, but hey! why not?
    Same here. It's one of the reasons I gave up the zerg community and philosophy.
    Between my odd work hours and sketchy health I'm undependable. I play every day pretty much. A couple hours at a time.
    ATM I'm leveling a lvl 7 druid. I also have a pretty decent end game rogue who I don't play often and a lvl 23 dual bastard kensai who was made obsolete by DDO's nerfs.
    Krimsonrayne -Ultimate Lord of Shadows on Orien server.
    Using -Ethan Hunt build -Assassin III, 900+ HP versatile, survivalist, high dps, str build.
    Build presented in video format. Long Live R.O.G.U.E.

  5. #5
    Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    Posts
    10,460

    Default

    I prefer to run with friends.

    The friends I usually run with usually prefer to get Conquest... and kill just about everything as we go.

    We also are tolerant of new players and will wait for them, or even let them set the pace if they wish.


    I beleive that we also enjoy checking out new quests or parts of old ones that we rarely see.

    Sometimes RL makes us feel like we want to finish in a hurry.
    We also tend to be long time DDOers and have seen most of it thousands of times, so usually we go at a brisk pace. But we do usually kill everything in our way at least.


    Just this past weekend we did EH Party Crashers and did every optional. We also killed illusionary guards as they agroed on us... we did not run past them. The optionals were new to some of us. I explained the stagehand optional but let them do it for themselves.

    Seems relaxed enough to me.
    So I would say the flower snifers still exist and are welcome in the right places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

  6. #6
    Community Member Sunarch_Kunari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    126

    Default

    I thought this was going to be a thread where we took screenshots of our GMoF destiny.



    I am disappointed.
    Khorgain (Orien) - Nearc (Orien) - Sunarch (Khyber)
    Quote Originally Posted by danzig138 View Post
    I want a small planetary system orbiting around my cranium.
    Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    Congratulations, you made a high priestess into a heretic - here's your XP.

  7. #7
    Community Member Slink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,036

    Default

    I'm in the same boat with 5 characters. Even thought about posting such a topic over the past few weeks.
    I've taken to just soloing most everything, even skipping a lot of the better xp quests due to flagging mechanics that require 3 or more people in the party.

    Don't care about xp/min, don't care if it takes me 40 mins to solo pitp. In most cases soloing is better than the alternative.
    Although I have met a few great players/people over the past few lives in pugs, they quickly out-level my alts as they are usually first lifers.
    Posting lfms doesn't seem to help the situation much either as most people will be ready to join my posts about the time I am at the end of the quest.

    Anyways, good luck finding what you're looking for as I've pretty much given up finding competent people to run with on a regular basis that aren't either rude and arrogant (usually not with me but other people, which I don't much like and will either drop or reform around them) or just on a different schedule.
    Last edited by Slink; 01-07-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    SidekickzDysmoniaEilisia PSSC

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    On, Canada
    Posts
    200

    Default

    this thread seems very...familiar...

    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=397309

    i thought so...why make another thread? instead of complaining about it why not make a channel for casual players and offer the information to those who are interested?
    Orien server: Forking, Completionist, life 21 of ???

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    I level up in a manner that i consider to be warp-speed flower-sniffing. I run almost every quest in the game with very few repeats but at very high speed.

    With streaking it's actually decent XP/minute but it doesn't burn you out nearly as much.

    Yes, I'll still run KNRL and Shadow crypt a bunch but not much else gets too much repeat play. it simply isn't needed.
    Personal d000m level: 83%

    Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

  10. #10
    Community Member catmamor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    94

    Default

    I have only been playing for 3 months and have a lvl 8 Cleric and a lvl 4 Druid. I usually solo purely because I don't feel I have the game experience to be able to be a fully functioning member of a team.

    I like to take my time in the dungeons, looking for traps, getting my Rogue hireling to look for hidden rooms that sometimes have a boss and loot. I don't really feel I have completed a dungeon until the whole of the map is explored - I have often taken a short quest and made it longer just because I won't give up on that pesky hidden scroll in optionals - It makes it more fun for me, also more frustrating when I can't complete a dungeon because I haven't found that third lever. It is probably the reason I am not leveling as fast as I could, but I don't see that as the objective of the game.

    Everybody has a different style of play, it would be great if there was a lfg option of 'lfg for exploring'.

    See you guys in game.

    Lakkus Mor and Kouma Mor on Ghallanda

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catmamor View Post
    I have only been playing for 3 months and have a lvl 8 Cleric and a lvl 4 Druid. I usually solo purely because I don't feel I have the game experience to be able to be a fully functioning member of a team.

    I like to take my time in the dungeons, looking for traps, getting my Rogue hireling to look for hidden rooms that sometimes have a boss and loot. I don't really feel I have completed a dungeon until the whole of the map is explored - I have often taken a short quest and made it longer just because I won't give up on that pesky hidden scroll in optionals - It makes it more fun for me, also more frustrating when I can't complete a dungeon because I haven't found that third lever. It is probably the reason I am not leveling as fast as I could, but I don't see that as the objective of the game.

    Everybody has a different style of play, it would be great if there was a lfg option of 'lfg for exploring'.

    See you guys in game.

    Lakkus Mor and Kouma Mor on Ghallanda
    Put "Non-Zerg" or "Slow run" in the LFM text.
    Personal d000m level: 83%

    Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    63

    Default

    I think there are many who seem to have become almost obsessed with xp per minute. What is this big race? If that's how they get their fun then fine for them, they can go right ahead. I'm not like that and don't find zerging through all the quests fun at all. On occasion if I'm farming for a particular item, then speed runs are helpful and can be fun too. I often play with guildies and friends who are of like mind. When we do a quest we like to do the optionals and always try for the ransack bonus. We like xp and loot too, but I don't find it rules me, nor do I let it rule any party I lead. It's harder in a PUG to find people who will play like you, but sometimes gems appear! The best thing is remembering to have fun, and then we won't get stressed about getting the good stuff on the way, it will just happen!

  13. #13
    Community Member Zenako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    8,748

    Default

    I think there are a lot of "flower sniffers" out there, but most of them have no need or interest in the grouping function, or have been burned by zergs often enough to not go back. Partly this is due to the dichotomy between the consequences of style mingling. Get one zerger in a party of sniffers and they can mess it up for the rest. Get on sniffer in a party of zergs and all they do is miss out on most stuff, maybe make the quest slightly harder due to scaling (if the party size was in the makes a difference size range) and then gets dropped at the end of the quest (unless it is one of a small handful that require the entire party to be present to trigger scripted actions in them).

    I know I am not in any rush to cap a character, heck I got character in the roster who are six years old and no where near capped, but then my roster is huge (20+).

    Sniffers are out there, but since many times a good sniffing session takes a bit longer, you need to also have players of like time availability to support grouping.
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

  14. #14
    Community Member bward76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Turbine encourages zerging. If you paid $$ for a 30% xp pot, you bet yer gonna zerg as fast as you can for max xp/minute. I do like that they did the xp tomes as that's a way to buy xp without a time limit. Wish the pots weren't around though, even though I have used them myself for grind times.

  15. #15
    Community Member Spoonwelder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nanaimo, BC
    Posts
    1,824

    Default

    On my first few characters and lives I was much like this - slow and easy - learning the game takes time and effort. In my first year I only got one character to cap - then another 6 mos later - but in the 18mos since I now have 11 characters with 8 at cap or in TR mode.

    You start to speed up your play as your game knowledge expands. Then you find what you really like (epics, TRing, zerging for fun, just making alts) and keep doing it.....or you leave the game.

    Have fun. It's a game. Find your happy place and go crazy.
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Wiz28 TR5 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/7 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

  16. #16
    Community Member Dawnsfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusParthas View Post
    AKA Casual Power gamers Have no place in DDO.
    Yawn. They have as much a place as the zergers/Power Gamers do AKA this is work not a game types.

    I mix styles. If I am on a TR, I often zerg a lot. If I am on a quest I have never run, I slow down and enjoy the quest the first couple of times. But I do most of my group questing with guildies now. Pugs tend to get mixed types regardless of the LFM and I'd prefer a group be able to set the tone in the beginning. If guildies are not available I solo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

  17. #17
    Community Member parowan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Yeomanry
    Posts
    491

    Default

    I play like this sometimes, and I think it describes my attitude most of the time. But I wouldn't say I'm a flower-sniffer, or at least not that I feel the need to break and kill everything and hit every optional in every quest. I like to run quests pretty quick, but I like variety - I only farm a few quests every life. I run every quest at least once. While it doesn't make me happy if a nub wastes my time, I don't throw a fit about it and I don't at all mind helping someone out or teaching - especially if I'm leader and I brought them into my pug.

    So it's not slow, it's just relaxed. I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of shorthand for this in LFMs:
    "competent players - casual style"
    "competent casual"
    "casual but competent"


    Or, yes, I suppose I can give up on having a manageable number of channels. So if there was a channel for organizing these kinds of groups I'd sign up. Call it, oh I don't know, Sprezzatura. Or Nonchalants.

    Failing that, feel free to hit me up anytime. I don't have anyone your level right now, but you'll no doubt catch up to me soon.
    Last edited by parowan; 01-07-2013 at 10:21 PM.
    Bartylomaos and Fwelcyr, of Orien's Forever Knights
    Lag got you down? Do what I do and bring along a good book to read while playing DDO.

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    I prefer to run with friends.

    The friends I usually run with usually prefer to get Conquest... and kill just about everything as we go.

    We also are tolerant of new players and will wait for them, or even let them set the pace if they wish.


    I beleive that we also enjoy checking out new quests or parts of old ones that we rarely see.

    Sometimes RL makes us feel like we want to finish in a hurry.
    We also tend to be long time DDOers and have seen most of it thousands of times, so usually we go at a brisk pace. But we do usually kill everything in our way at least.


    Just this past weekend we did EH Party Crashers and did every optional. We also killed illusionary guards as they agroed on us... we did not run past them. The optionals were new to some of us. I explained the stagehand optional but let them do it for themselves.

    Seems relaxed enough to me.
    So I would say the flower snifers still exist and are welcome in the right places.
    You sound pretty cool.
    Krimsonrayne -Ultimate Lord of Shadows on Orien server.
    Using -Ethan Hunt build -Assassin III, 900+ HP versatile, survivalist, high dps, str build.
    Build presented in video format. Long Live R.O.G.U.E.

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slink View Post
    I'm in the same boat with 5 characters. Even thought about posting such a topic over the past few weeks.
    I've taken to just soloing most everything, even skipping a lot of the better xp quests due to flagging mechanics that require 3 or more people in the party.

    Don't care about xp/min, don't care if it takes me 40 mins to solo pitp. In most cases soloing is better than the alternative.
    Although I have met a few great players/people over the past few lives in pugs, they quickly out-level my alts as they are usually first lifers.
    Posting lfms doesn't seem to help the situation much either as most people will be ready to join my posts about the time I am at the end of the quest.

    Anyways, good luck finding what you're looking for as I've pretty much given up finding competent people to run with on a regular basis that aren't either rude and arrogant (usually not with me but other people, which I don't much like and will either drop or reform around them) or just on a different schedule.
    Look me up if your on orien. even random playing with like minds is cool and beats boredom.
    Krimsonrayne -Ultimate Lord of Shadows on Orien server.
    Using -Ethan Hunt build -Assassin III, 900+ HP versatile, survivalist, high dps, str build.
    Build presented in video format. Long Live R.O.G.U.E.

  20. #20
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    [QUOTE=fork_aka_spoon;4840756]this thread seems very...familiar...

    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=397309

    i thought so...why make another thread? instead of complaining about it why not make a channel for casual players and offer the information to those who are interested?[/QUOTE


    Been there wrote that I guess.

    Maybe your right but I didn't think I was complaining as much as making an observation.
    channels kinda suck. I keep 2 open only. guild and party so I'd not be able to take advantage of a channel.
    way too many UI's going on in DDO for my little screen.
    someone mentioned permadeath before but it doesn't appeal to me.
    how about something different... maybe a club.
    Would be cool if we could belong to a club in addition to a guild. I'd keep a chat channel open for that.
    Last edited by MaximusParthas; 01-08-2013 at 12:14 AM.
    Krimsonrayne -Ultimate Lord of Shadows on Orien server.
    Using -Ethan Hunt build -Assassin III, 900+ HP versatile, survivalist, high dps, str build.
    Build presented in video format. Long Live R.O.G.U.E.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload